SAU Community

R32 Gtst V S13 V 180sx

Before I get banned..

These 3 cars seems to be the common options at certain price ranges.

People have their opinions on why they buy the car they do.

So I'd like to hear your reasons as to which of those cars would make for a better street car.

Try not to be RB>all type person in this thread for one instance.

Silvia = 1190kg, 155kw

180sx = 1200kg, 155kw

R32 = 1290kg, 160kw

sure it seems the S13's would be the faster car but that doesn't always matter.

skyline has the better brakes.

I will ask the same quesiton on NS.com to get their baised opinon on this matter.

Keep it civil, and keep this thread unlocked.

Why did you chose the car you have (out of the list above) over the others.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skyline R32 any day it has superior styling, speed, handling, ability to modify and lets not forget its runnin another 2 cylinders there for handling higher speed worlds better than and these differances are doubled as soon as you score even the smallest passenger load. you cant compare chalk and cheese simple.

I've owned a 180SX before, and own an S14 and R32 atm...

R32 is roomier on the inside, has better brakes, better suspension geometry and an engine that I'm more familiar with (owned about 4 R32's now). The interior trim is better than an S13 or 180sx. Availability of wheels in 5 stud is much better than in 4 stud. I don't see the point in buying a lower spec car and spending money upgrading it to be level with a higher spec car that costs around the same.

The S13 is an entry level sports car in the nissan lineup if you think about it. R32 GTSt's are a step up from that.

That said the body styling of a 180SX is kinda timeless... a simple facelift to an S15 front and it looks 10 years newer. An R32 unfortunately still looks like its stuck in the early 90's regardless of facelifts. S13 silvia's look like they're stuck in the 80's regardless of what you do to them.

I'd say an R32 GTSt and an S14 is about on par. The choice would be real hard, and I'd probably pick the S14 over the R32.

i got the r32gtst cause i wanted auto.

i personaly like the silvias.

i dont like the front of 180's but i guess they do have the boot room your probly looking for(mtn bike???)

there is SiL80's got your boot space and a nice front end.

& Shan, you dont think R32's with R34 front ends look new? once all kitted up.

Each to their own,but maybe you just forgot about this 1???

& Shan, you dont think R32's with R34 front ends look new? once all kitted up.

I don't like how they look, at least a strawberry 180 and an S15 have very close body lines. R32's and R34's dont. R34 fronted R32's look like R34's with downs syndrome.

The only half decent R34 facelift kit is the Bee*R kit, and that's an 8 piece kit that pretty much replaces every panel except the roof... its not just a straightforward front swap like on the 180sx.

Thanks Funky.

Shabadoo - SR

as for the rest going on about facelift etc.

waste of time.

not looking for cosmetic mods.

any mod done to any car will be performance based.

as for Mountain bike,.

I will have to attach a towbar to any car I get.

It'll just be easier.

Series 1 S14's seem to fall in to the same bracket in stock AUTO form.

but f*k that!!

180-200rwkw is a max I'll ever want.

all of these cars are capable with a turbo + usual mods.

I find it odd that the R32 has more room than the s13's.

What 5L? - I have no idea what you are trying to say after the word "modify"

Personally would take the 180sx, mainly cause I've had one. Driven that and mate's R32, if you have long legs, then the S13 would be more comfortable because the driver's seat goes a lot further back. 180sx has much better styling too. R32 just sounds better :)

It depends what you want and how much you want to pay.

Technically speaking, the R32 is a better car in just about every way, better built etc.

However its also heavier and more expensive (than a silvia). 180's tend to be overpriced considering the only thing that makes them different to the silvia (s13 anyway) is the shape and dash (i think 180's have a digital speedo in some cases). Later model 180's tend to line up with the silvia of the equivalent year mechanically speaking...more or less.

I'd prefer the R32 purely for the better build and IMO it looks more mature. I've always believed the s13-s14's (silvia/180sx/200sx) cater to a younger audience than the skylines. Let me just clarify this is just how I see it. Feel free to disagree :)

I've owned a s13 silvia (both n/a and turbo models) and they are a fun car to drive, but a switch to a skyline would've definitely felt like a step up. I moved from the silvia turbo to a stagea so I cant really comment on the skyline part so much...but the stagea is closely related to the skyline family mechanically.

Interested to see what others think on this topic however...

Well my I have been asked many times if my car is new ( aka 2007) The only thing I've done to the outside look really is black out the stock headlights. R32's can be made to look pretty fresh. Gets my vote but then again I would love to own a Silvia S13. :)

I asked about these 3 cars as they are similar in price.

around $10K will get you an "OK" version of each.

CA powered ones are even cheaper for OK ones or ones with rebuilt motors and shit load of work are about $11K.

but I am not so sure about the CA's.

even the highly modified, forged this and that and close to 20psi boost with aftermarket ball bearing turbo's seem to make about 200kw.

seems like ALOT of work for the power.

I asked about these 3 cars as they are similar in price.

around $10K will get you an "OK" version of each.

CA powered ones are even cheaper for OK ones or ones with rebuilt motors and shit load of work are about $11K.

but I am not so sure about the CA's.

even the highly modified, forged this and that and close to 20psi boost with aftermarket ball bearing turbo's seem to make about 200kw.

seems like ALOT of work for the power.

You could, if you look hard enough get an "OK" version of the R33 GTS-t for 10K.

Better car in almost every technical sense than all of the above.

I offered you mine, but you didn't want it :)

I am more biased towards the R32, to me they just look more muscular and purposeful - having said that I am hoping the next car I buy (I dont even have one atm) is going to be a 180sx, I say 'hoping' because I have to appease my soon to be wife - after talking about getting a new car after the wedding for the last 8 months it has suddenly become more important to buy a piano...

Although I'm not dissappointed at all,.... sigh.

Well my I have been asked many times if my car is new ( aka 2007) The only thing I've done to the outside look really is black out the stock headlights. R32's can be made to look pretty fresh. Gets my vote but then again I would love to own a Silvia S13. :banana:

yeah but you guys don't have as many R33 and R34's rolling around in canada as we do. plus anyone in oz who was awake in 1990-1992 knows an R32 from the thrashing it gave the dunnydoors and falcoons.

JAS-25T - you offered to swap me a car?

I remember the offer of Dunlop Volleys... and I did ask for pics.. :banana:

I agree about the R33.

there are a couple available for $10K ish.

actually a couple of series 2 for $12K ish.

the 3 cars here are all 2L and smaller so I figured a slightly better comparo.. you know.. kinda like apples and nashi pears rather than apples and carrots.

Medium Dave - there is no cars after wedding.. ;)

I just bought the missus a brand new Tiida.

so I now get to buy what I want.

and I don't want to spend over $10K.

Here are some current examples on what is on offer for this price range..

R32 - $10.5K from forum member

R32 - $9.8K

R33 gtst - $10K Just for JAS - also a forum member car

180sx - $9.5K

S13 - rb20 - $9.8K - but brown interior

S13 - $10.5K - with 55,000kms on new motor.. yeh right.. and pink wheels.

S13 - rebuilt SR (No receipts) looks pretty good - $9.5K

so there are some good examples out there for the money.

just need to see what fits me the best..

Edited by GTST