SAU Community

2008 V8 Supercar Season

evil_weevil

I like the tactical thinking that has to be employed due

to the lack of passing opportunities.

Use of tire/fuel timing, and the use of safety car to pit.

Definitely need to improve safety on these circuits. Need some run offs.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it looks like it would be hard to increase the run off in Hamilton as the buildings are right on the edge of the buildings.

this seems to be very similar to Canberra, too tight, too narrow, no passing and a precession instead of a race

not to mention all the cars look very second hand from those tire bundles on the chicane

same with the top of Mt. Panorama, it is very tight and scary u dont wona be making a mistake up there and it takes so much balls to overtake there :D but it sure is the best track i have ever driven on and most likely ever will drive on....

I dont even feel as if I watched any racing - it was all pace cars and accidents.

Well it was a street race. Other than Adelaide the "racing" component of the weekend of a street race is always terminally dire. Think about it - Canberra, Gold Coast, Albert Park - rubbish the lot of them.

For that matter other than the promoters & the pace car sponsors I can't think of anyone who wins from this. The team's bills are huge due to car damage, spectator viewing is rubbish, as is the tellie, set up costs are massive and no one gains from the thousands of tonnes of concrete needed to set up a temporary circuit.

Must be the promotors earning extra coin. I can't think why else Cochrane would bother - self glorification aside.

honestly, channel 7 are doing the absolute worst job of advertising the V8's in the weeks leading up to these races. I didnt even realise this was on until i acctidently switched channels.

must be too busy pissing away money on rediculous circuits and not enough on the looking after the actual well being and longevity of the sport

Edited by ctjet

true but as a driver that's not acceptable to me. remember a guy died at the last street meeting (Adam Ashely-Cooper)

and street tracks are not available all year so every other racer misses out on driving around it. If they spent the same money on permanent tracks with proper safety everyone would benefit

My opinion on Cockrun's agenda;

He wants only V8SuperCars racing in Australia, no other categories of circuit race cars

A monopoly for the sponsors, so he gets all the advertising money

A monopoly for the fans, so he gets all the merchandise money

A monopoly for the TV stations, if they want to televise motorsport they have to pay him

He doesn't want any permanent race circuits left for other categories to race on

By having street circuits he is effectively killing off the main supply of revenue to the permanent race circuits

Eventually the permanent circuits will all close due to lack of revenue

The low crowds at Eastern Creek just give him more ammunition to demand a street race in Sydney

That's why they hardly promoted the round here and jacked up the prices, to keep the crowd as low as possible

He wants Governments to pay him, they have more money than promotors and don't need to make a profit

He doesn't want us out on our local race track, driving our own race cars

He wants us at home sipping our Jim Beam in front of the Fujitsu flat screen watching the V8's. After changing the Castrol oil in our Falcadoor that we bought at SuperCheap.

I hate the asswipe and his agenda.

Cheers

Gary

He wants only V8SuperCars racing in Australia, no other categories of circuit race cars

A monopoly for the TV stations, if they want to televise motorsport they have to pay him

He doesn't want any permanent race circuits left for other categories to race on

By having street circuits he is effectively killing off the main supply of revenue to the permanent race circuits

The low crowds at Eastern Creek just give him more ammunition to demand a street race in Sydney

That's why they hardly promoted the round here and jacked up the prices, to keep the crowd as low as possible

He wants Governments to pay him, they have more money than promotors and don't need to make a profit

He wants us at home sipping our Jim Beam in front of the Fujitsu flat screen watching the V8's. After changing the Castrol oil in our Falcadoor that we bought at SuperCheap.

Cheers

Gary

Good call.

Except he tried the same in Perth (A venue sold out every year)

Govt told him to fk off.

So now he has to run any WA round at Wanneroo & the WASCC may even get some money for an upgrade (From the govt)

So there are some good results when Cochrane gets fkd over.

honestly, channel 7 are doing the absolute worst job of advertising the V8's in the weeks leading up to these races. I didnt even realise this was on until i acctidently switched channels.

must be too busy pissing away money on rediculous circuits and not enough on the looking after the actual well being and longevity of the sport

Channel 7 has done a terrible job all round since they got the V8s. on the weekend we were counting and some times there were only 4 laps between ads and that was full speed race laps.

also when the AFL is on the coverage gets ditched for it!

bring back channel 10. channel 7 had the touring cars for years and did nothing with it and channel 10 put a lot into the sport and helped to give it the exposure it has now.

Apart from afew extra ads what did Ch10 have over what Ch7 currently has? The annoying commentators are gone is about the only difference I notice.

Cheers

Gary

Here here completly agree he's f**ked it all up, used to enjoy going out to mallala and watching the fujitsi series but then they changed it to the adelaide track......Nice work

Channel 7 has done a terrible job all round since they got the V8s. on the weekend we were counting and some times there were only 4 laps between ads and that was full speed race laps.

also when the AFL is on the coverage gets ditched for it!

bring back channel 10. channel 7 had the touring cars for years and did nothing with it and channel 10 put a lot into the sport and helped to give it the exposure it has now.

Oh common now, Cromleys even MORE annoying specially with his CAD drawings he's got going on now....Couldn't drive can't commentate

Cromley is the only commentator worth having for v8sc, he is the only 1 that actually has any experience in the sport. All the others are just commentators that were rejected from other sports so ended up at v8sc.

I like Crompton, i supported him as a driver and like him on air. He was never the most natural or talented driver, but he was a hard worker and good for the teams he drove for.

I hope that Tony Cockraine gets hit by a car and has to step aside. I watch with interest with what Ford are going to do re-funding. The series is a 2 horse race, and if one of the manufacturers starts withdrawing support then what then for the Ford teams, and the category over all?

Is it Rocky that has a new street race as well? Its all one way traffic at the moment and would love if the tracks told Tony to get stuffed and 5 or 6 of the track owners turned down a race for a few years as they didnt want to be held to ransom by the guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Crompton too. If ch7 didn't get him when they took over the rights it would definitely suck. I reckon Ch10 was better all round though.

What were the results from Hamilton? I also didn't know it was on and missed it all.

I like Crompton too. If ch7 didn't get him when they took over the rights it would definitely suck. I reckon Ch10 was better all round though.

What were the results from Hamilton? I also didn't know it was on and missed it all.

Tander won at a canter.

You will doubtless get to see that happen this weekend aswell.

hamilton? the usual street race procession where the top qualifier won. and some good crashes thrown in every few laps

funny enough the only car with out damage all weekend came 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Tander and Steve Richards setting the pace again so far this weekend