SAU Community

Fitting a short shifter. (R33 GTR) - lots of pictures.

PranK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i fitted a cheap shord shift kit to my gtr, one suited for a gtst it fitted ok but the bottom of the shifter ball was to small so i just got the original and stuck it to the one on there with some really good quality glue that melts the plastic together as i wasnt sure how it would go in the gear oil if it falls off it falls off lol then i will work it out from there but these kits are like $50 on ebay

• 2 months later...

Help i feel so noob, i cant get the first circlip out!!! I spent an hr and a half trying everything i could think of and no luck...

Perhaps try a better set of pliers? Or is there a trick to it i havent understood???

Please help im really keen to start short shifting!

mate realy easy get two little flathead screw drivers, first leaver a gap at the start then put the seconed on in where u have made a gap and just leaver it should just pop out can be done with one screwdriver i did it just the other day in about 20 sec the clip will wanna spin and really you dont have to be carefull you wont break anything in there just give it a good leaver and yank

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I brought a short shifter from nottieboy for my 34. The shifter seems alright, but with some problems.

Problem 1: the end cap that came with it is larger than the original end cap and consequently does not fit in the selcter rod. I filed the new cap a bit and now it fits a little better.

Problem 2: the original end cap, when fitter to the new shifter does not much rotational play, due to the end of the short shifter not being a perfect sphere.

Problem 3: the supplied bush to raise the ball housing seems to be too big for the extended throw and the shifter slips out of the selecter rod. The throw between the end cap and the ball is longer by 10mm on the short shifter than the original however a 14mm bush was supplied. I am having a new bush made for $20 which will be ready for collection tomorrow.

I will let all know how it works out when fitted correctly.

• 1 year later...
i heard fitting a short shifter can potentially wreck the gearbox, or wear it out quicker over time. is this true?

yeah, you'll be changing gears faster so will it wear your syncros a bit faster... nothing too major :)

won't wreck your gearbox as such though...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Images fixed folks.

Apparently not.... Can anything be done about the installation of a short shifter in an r33 as all the images no longer work.. I tried to follow this with out, and did pretty well, i even pre-emptively sorted the issue with the little boot on the end being too small in many of the kits.

However i have another issue, that i need to work out the answer to. I believe the metal tubing, used as on extension in the base, is either too long (most likely), or the bolts to hold the cover with the bananna shaped arms are too short... The easiest fix is to get longer bolts, but i dont think this will fix the issue in that the was the spring gasket works would not function any more cos it would just be squished flat all the time.. so that makes me think it is the metal tube that is too long. However if i was to make it shorter, and that didnt work, i've fooked up the whole kit and am in more troubles...

I spent a couple of hours trying to find solutions to this, but cant seem to think of a good safe one.

Seeing how the pictures show things, and their relative heights may help me be sure where the problem lies...

In reality, i wish i could just have a stock leave that is shorter, as in made not as long like in a truck, and thus by being shorter, the throw is changed, but cos of the design, you cant just cut these and put a new thread on, they need to have been made correctly.

Please get back to me with thoughts, advise and any pictures if possible!

Edited by J'son