SAU Community

Rb25 Rb30 Hybrid Engine

shaun_perry

Hi there PPL.

I want to put an rb25 rb30 engine in my r33 skyline and I am intalks with someone who can build an engine for me.

I have been :) my head as I am unsure of the pricing.

I have just been given a confirmation of $9745 +about $2200 for Apexi power FC and Software.

All up I am looking at spending $12,000.... Does this sound right???

Thanks,

Shaun.

Shaun, I'm currently putting together a 26/30 and including the 6 throttle inlet I'm calculating about $6500 or so cost including all machining, forged rods and 9.0:1 CP pistons. This will be going up for sale after I'm done and it will be almost the same spec as the engine in my race car (GTS25t) which has been built to safely run 750hp and live longer at about 500+. But as always it depends on the specs you want.

A PFC should be around $1200 or less and the software (FC-Datalogit) about $600 or less secondhand so I would source them myself.

So given they have to make a profit I would assume that price is drive in-drive out. Otherwise they might be asking a bit much.

Hi there PPL.

I want to put an rb25 rb30 engine in my r33 skyline and I am intalks with someone who can build an engine for me.

I have been my head as I am unsure of the pricing.

I have just been given a confirmation of $9745 +about $2200 for Apexi power FC and Software.

All up I am looking at spending $12,000.... Does this sound right???

Thanks,

Shaun.

I assume it includes turbo/turbo's, pipework, cams, valve springs, porting, hoses, oil control mods, etc etc .......all installed, tuned and drive away.

Cheers

Gary

I spent $8500 just on the bottom end to have built. My 25 head is off getting ported and polished. I was going to use a 26 but i already have a Greddy plenum and custon twin turbo manifold to suit the 25.

My plenum was $1200

Turbos and manifold $3000

Haltech E11v2 $2000

1000cc injectors $1000

So 12K is a decent price

I spent $8500 just on the bottom end to have built. My 25 head is off getting ported and polished. I was going to use a 26 but i already have a Greddy plenum and custon twin turbo manifold to suit the 25.

My plenum was $1200

Turbos and manifold $3000

Haltech E11v2 $2000

1000cc injectors $1000

So 12K is a decent price

Hope you're not polishing the intake side :)

you can get a pretty sweet fresh stock internal long engine with custom plenum for around $5500 from RIPS

but if i were you keep your eyes on geoff's space (not just cause he's good looking) :thumbsup:

you can get a pretty sweet fresh stock internal long engine with custom plenum for around $5500 from RIPS

but if i were you keep your eyes on geoff's space (not just cause he's good looking) :D

Or you could just build one yourself for the same price without the nice plenum forged for probably less.

Or you can just buy an RB20 for $600 and enjoy the revs and care free motoring.

And yes i am going to whore every RB30 thread with RB20 diatribe, because every RB20 thread is bombarded with RB30 propaganda :D

I did a budget build designed for street and capped at around 270rwkw.

rb30 block cleaned and refreshed with rings and bearings. $520

timing belt, head gasket, tensioners, studs, exhaust mani gasket, sealant, thermostat, ect. $670

rb25de head $500

braided oil line and fittings $200

installed and running it cost almost 2 grand on the nose including oil and filters.

I used all my rb20 ancelleries, coilpacks, turbo, ecu, rb20cas ect.

things i had to sort out.

I had to chop up the rb 20 loom and solder on new plugs to fit side feed injectors. i chipped the rb20 ecu and used all my original rb20 sensors. also lengthen some hoses. i did not lower the cross member and have spacers under the bonnet hinges for clearance. the entire package is all in and works perfectly and drives like factory till you get under it.

to tell the truth it was a big job and took 2 weekends and a week of evenings from removing the rb20 to starting and driving the RB30.

I imagine if you were to get it done by a mechanic you would not get any change from $4000 for the same build as i did possibly more.

I did pretty much the same as CEF11E except that I happened to get hold of a prepped block and forged pistons along with the 25DE head for $1500.

Problems I did encounter were I hit R&R straight away and also maxxed out the AFM over 5000rpm. Z32 afm and a tune, also threw in some 550cc injectors while I was there so I'm ready for the new turbo to go on. Setup will be capped at 300rwkw until I'm ready for the next stage of development.. engine will then come out, new rods, balanced, ported, cams etc etc and then see how far the GT35R can go :O

heres a quick rundown of wat i got for my setup, keeping in mind the amount of power u want to chase determines how much u wanna spend.

Forged Pistons

Connecting Rods

Bearings

Gasket Kit

Head Gasket

Machining

Injectors

Fuel Pump

Turbo

Braided Lines and Fitting

N1 Oil Pump

Clutch

JUN OIL COLLAR

Fuel Reg

Exhaust Coating

Water Pump

RB30 Block

Exhaust Manifold

External Wastegate

plenum

throttle body

Q45 AFM

CAMS

CAM GEARS

ur lookn at about 14-16k worth of parts. thats not including wat i have already

PFC - 1500

cooler - 1000 (depending on type)

pod - 100

boost controller - 500 (depending on type)

full turboback exhaust - 2000 (depending on type)

and so on.

the above setup is for about a 500hp setup, using a gt3540

Edited by R34NRG

RB30 block, forged pistons & 25DE head/intake manifold - $1500

Whole RB30 donor engine for crank and rods - $100

Crank machining - $120

Bearings - ~$85

N1 oil pump - $415 (IIRC)

z32 AFM + plug - $350

Denso 550cc injectors - $900

Tune/remap - $660

That is what is in there so far, for a little over $4k it's making a real torquey 245rwhp @12psi through an RB25 turbo.

Waiting to go on:

GT35R (GT3540/GT3582) - $1600

High mount exhaust manifold (secondhand) - $150 (needs gate flange welded on)

44mm TiAl gate - ~$420 (I think)

Intake manifold, GTR plenum bit cost me $100 and probably looking at another couple of hundred to get it welded up.

Lets say another $500 for miscellaneous pipework and bits n pieces.

Another tune/remap - $660

Everything else was a straight swap from my RB20, oh and I do have splitfire coils but running standard ones right now as I was trying to diagnose a misfire problem, appears to be loom related, have located a brand new coil harness for $120!!

So for about $7.5k I should* be making a lazy 300rwkw with mucho nuts down low.

*Should make that easily, leaving standard throttle body in as a sort of bottle neck to keep power down.. don't really want to go over 400rwhp with stock rods..

Edited by bubba

nah for the full bottom end, $100 is an average price if you know people or are lucky or do some real work in looking around.

if your real keen you can find a complete motor (or even a car) for $100

Yeah $100 for a complete RB30E, was even at a machine shop! so I told the guy "look mate, all I'm going to do it pull the crank and rods out and throw the rest in the bin, if you want to pull it out and keep the rest.." so I didn't even have to go pick the engine up and strip it, he pulled the crank and machined it for me, $100+$120 later I walk out with a nice fresh crank :D

Edited by bubba

Chris eastons R31 drift car is stocker atmo RB30 bottom end, rb25 head standard exh man with XR6 GT35 on it, tuned to 270rwkw, canes the shhhhhit outta it...no worries, over 18 months like that now i think