SAU Community

Cas Spacing... How Thick?

huddy

Quick question... i searched and found that i need to space the CAS if i remove the cam cover, but how much????

(basically i'm getting car tuned again, as i've just had poncams fitted, and can now tune the cam gears - so for ease and less fiddling around on the dyno i will keep the cover off...)

thanks

-Matt

Just measure the thickness of the timing cover including the rubber insert. That is your thickness.

If you just use a 3mm washer or spacer you will be fine. It doesn't matter if the CAS is a tiny bit out from it position as there is no load on it and it will still turn in time with the camshaft if it was 0.25 or 0.5mm away from home.

You just need to make sure the CAS does not foul on the cam pulley and also make sure the CAS bolts don't foul either

push the rubber out of the timing belt cover and put it behind the cas

in that rubber there is 3 metal washers which space the cas to factory spot

+1

but i would probably split the rubber off the spacers as there is nothing holding the rubber in place with the cover off.

• 2 years later...

quick question, have searched etc..

anyone know the length of rb26 bolts that hold the CAS on? the 3 of them?

just wanna make sure the ones i got arent too long and are gonna hit the cam gear.

cheers

• 9 years later...

Just to clarify for future reference, having gone through all of this recently due do the previous owner of my car loosing all of the bolts and spacers.

Spacer: OD=12mm / ID=6.5mm / THICKNESS=5mm (measurements taken from new Nissan P/N 13525-58S00)

Bolt: 6mm dia. / 1mm pitch / 15mm length.

I'm using some OEM 25mm bolts with the integrated lock washer and flat washer (common mounting bolts for things in the engine bay), which leaves me with 22mm of exposed thread. When installed into the CAS I can see 2-3mm protruding towards the cam gear, but there's 15-20mm of clearance before it hits the cam gear.

Cheers

• Like 3

On 6/12/2020 at 7:50 PM, mrsafety said:

Just to clarify for future reference, having gone through all of this recently due do the previous owner of my car loosing all of the bolts and spacers.

Spacer: OD=12mm / ID=6.5mm / THICKNESS=5mm (measurements taken from new Nissan P/N 13525-58S00)

Bolt: 6mm dia. / 1mm pitch / 15mm length.

I'm using some OEM 25mm bolts with the integrated lock washer and flat washer (common mounting bolts for things in the engine bay), which leaves me with 22mm of exposed thread. When installed into the CAS I can see 2-3mm protruding towards the cam gear, but there's 15-20mm of clearance before it hits the cam gear.

Cheers

Just realised a typo in my previous post. I have about 4-5mm protruding through the CAS mount and into the area where the cam gear is (NOT 22mm!).