SAU Community

Ferrari California

Someone lifted the lid a fraction early....

Just days after Ferrari launched the teaser site for its new GT, the first full images and details of the Ferrari California have been revealed. Even though the countdown timer on the teaser site still indicates there's a week to go before the next info reveal, the countdown itself is little more than a formality.

Like other modern Ferraris, this one is fabricated from aluminum to keep mass under control. The 460 hp 4.3L V8 is the first from Maranello to use direct injection while following the racing tradition of using a flat-plane crankshaft. This car of firsts also debuts the production application of a dual clutch gearbox from Ferrari. The 7-speed unit is mounted in a rear transaxle configuration and should provide smoother shifting and even better performance than the existing hydraulically-actuated units that Ferrari currently uses. Acceleration to 60 mph should come in under 4.0 seconds.

The California is also Ferrari's first retractable hardtop convertible. From the shape of the hood scoop and headlights to the sweep of the rear fenders and vents behind the front wheels this car obviously draws on the heritage of the original 1960s 250 GT California. At the same time, it's blended with modern Ferrari design elements drawn from the current F430 and 599. We're looking forward to seeing much more of this car over the months leading up to the Paris Motor Show!

ferrari-gt-1280-02.jpg

ferrari-gt-1280-03.jpg

ferrari-gt-1280-01.jpg

Pic of classic 250GT California for reference:

ferrari-250-gt-spyder-california-1.jpg

Gorgeous! Except for silly IS-F stacked tailpipes.....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cameron.jpg "The 250GT California: It is his life, it is his passion..."

'...it is his fault he didn't lock the garage door :P' 165036__ferris_l.jpg

Not a bad looking bit of gear. A few try-hard details, but that's just like all Ferraris these days. Expect a waiting list that stretches past 2012 though...

Cheers for posting.

I think it looks like a pair of dogs balls with David Hasslehoff's coked-up smile pinned to it with blu-tack.

It's a mess of different styling: Gran Turismo grille, MR-S style eyes and nose, Korean designed scoop (but acknowledging it's derived from the 250GT) and ridiculous motes carved into the doors. It holds together well from the rear-quarter image, it has more geometrical harmony than the front.

Too bad the front and rear appear to have been designed by two different crackheads. They lack symmetry, and i'll wager that's because the engine is too bloody big. That's a good thing, so i can forgive the aesthetic orgy before me and marvel at the fact drug addicts now make Ferrari's.

I thought they only made Lambo's.

It looks like a elaborated MR-S joined together with a Peugot gaping mouth, the rear has that lexus SC430 rear end and its just... ugly.. sorry ferrari try again, F430 was much better

Edited by R34Maniac

hmm motor and gearbox details sound intresting. as far as styling goes can anyone say aston martin?

agreed

the first pic looks like it's smiling at me :P

Don't like the wheels, don't like the grill... other then that, I was at first hesitant about the body styling looking too much like that of a shelby cobra and other such cars, but the lines work for me :P

I don't mind it... Don't like the arse, or the grill/nose, not a fan of the side rear quarter panel... Too sweeping.. Could look a little tougher...

I agree, the 430 is quite possibly the hottest/horniest/gorgeous Ferrari's ever...

I agree the 360 was nice, just lacked an intrinsic aggression and stance about it... :D

Can't wait for the new 460 though!!! :bunny:

Edited by Marco-R34GTT

The side profile is real hot.... other than that it looks more suited for me missus. The front looks something merged between an MR-S and an Aston Martin of some sort and the rear muffler ruined the rear I reckon. Whats the retail on one of those?