SAU Community

Nissan S15 (200sx)

Hey Guys Just a quick post!

Im thinking of trying to trade my 96 r33 for an s15 am i crazy? i just dont know

if its a good idea! are they a good car, can they pull as much powerif not more

without a fuss? i know these are all pretty common sense questions but i value

your oppinions!!

a bit confused cheers!!!

Id go for it if I were you. Ive always had a massive soft spot for s15's but thats just me.

Having said that you'll find it considerably harder to get power out of it especially if its an AUDM version. The tail comes out a lot easier, and the weight difference is instantly noticeable too.

yeah I went from an R33 to S15. The S15 was new back then so was great going from a car with an old interior to a brand new one. As everyone knows parts are cheap for SRs and easy to get power out of but you will be limited mainly by the gearbox if you want more then 250rwkws.

I was never really a fan of the silvia platform, but I do like the s15

was down to a gt-t and an imported 200sx, chose the r34 over the s15 for size as I could still fit stuff into it if I needed.

I really like the S15's, such a nice car with a Origin / Vertex body kit but I am yet to drive one. Hopfully ask my friend to take his for a spin as he just got it back.

They are 2 different cars,

2.5lt straight 6 turbo VS 2lt inline 4 turbo,

I guess petrol wise the S15 would be nicer and parts would be cheaper.

I say just test drive one yourself and notice the difference for yourself.

A bit of advice on buying ADM vs JDM S15's:

JDM Pros:

- Cheaper to purchase initially

- More powerful in stock form

- Looks a little better with different rear bar

- Other options not available on ADM model - eg rear wiper, cruise control, etc

JDM Cons:

- More expensive to insure because it's an "import" - about $500-1000 for identical car, mods etc vs ADM

- Sketchy ownership history (issue with all imported vehicles I guess)

- Resale value is lower than ADM

- Can only import 99 model as latest I believe due to import laws

ADM Pros:

- Newer models available till 2002

- Easier to investigate car history being local and serviced locally

- Higher resale value

- Power differences easily overcome with change of exhaust and increased boost

ADM Cons:

- Difficulty trying to sell due to JDM models in market

- Rear bar has dodgy looking reflectors

So weigh it up before going for the "JDM must be better" purchase

The S15 is a great car. If Skylines weren't so awesome the Silvia would be even MORE popular than it is.

A good upgrade from an R33, but less practical if you plan on having more than one passenger.

What everyone's said is true. It's good bang for buck and looks good. If you're not looking for huge power then the SR20 + 'box will be plenty of fun and reliable.

does the boost come on later than an rb?

There isn't much difference stock for stock. They both have small factory turbos so make full boost very early between 2500-->3000RPM. BTW, the Silvia's T28 can be wound up to 18psi+, Skylines are limited to about 14psi due to ceramic exhaust turbine.

IMO the S15 is more responsive than the R33. It has 500cc's less and only 4cyl so it needs less boost to make power, plus it's lighter. Everyone's comments are correct, power delivery is different. The SR20 is punchy and hits hard in midrange. The RB25 is more torquey and gradual, like a surge of power.

wow.. not one single person on here said to keep the 96 skyline in comparison to the S15.

on a skyline forum.

was there a national remove your blinkers day or something? :woot:

You'll love the S15.

the only front bar that should go on to it is the AERO front bar.

don't know/care for side or ear bars.

I have been in a few mates s15's and they are very nice cars.

One was a jdm and the other an Ausralian one.

I was suprised with how good they are and how they hit you when they come on boost.

I would say get the jdm one as it has more power and other options stock. Bloody nissan australia de-tuning cars for our market.

I was reading up on S15's a while ago. According to some people on NS.com, fuel usage is similar on JDM models compared to R33's. Don't know why as you would expect better fuel economy from a 4 pot. :)

To be more specific about power delivery, the S15 feels asmatic down low after coming out of an R33. The lack of bottom end torque is very noticeable. It's not til it hits mid range that it starts to generate any power. I was going to buy one, but after a few test drives I decided it wasn't torquey enough for me. The rear slips out very easily aswell... more so than a Skyline. I still reckon they are a nice looking car though. Pity they sound like a tractor.