SAU Community

Im In Trouble Need Help

Gunr32

He seems to be encouraging the legislation as it gives him power, influence over car enthusiasts which seems to make his business more profitable.

Its a sad day when an engineer doesnt challenge stupidity and isnt willing to sign off on something that panel beaters do as a matter of routine!

that's a really good point... had never thought of it like that!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cleared up asap, as I know getting an import registered nowadays is harder than before.

thats right, when i took my car last week to get registered they looked at my car twice 2 different people and the second guy took photos of the car he said good all the time as its all completely stock, they then found that my seat belt is not australian standards as the tag on the seat belt was cut off even though the seat belt is in good condition, so they gave me till 4:30 that day to get it changed and registerd and they didint even look at it properly , just looked at it from the window said it was fine. so cars with out air bags can have hole cut in tray and you wont get defected for it???

f*kKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ur gone mate.

i dont know if the rest of SAU remembers this but this same shit happened to me about my cooler.

said that it might interfere with my airbags and that the car needed to be crash tested.

i went to like 4-5diff vicroad offices to clear this thing and was turned down. engineers didnt wanna touch it. but i ran into some luck with a buddy at vic roads hooked me up.

i say good luck buddy, the only way i see u gettn out of this is emoving the cooler and welding up that hole u cut.

its a pain i know but might be the only way.

cheers

u shouldnt have let them take photoes, I think u have the right to object that
Correct , by law, officers are not allowed to force you or physically touch your car, i.e. open up your bonnet etc or take pictures of it without your consent.

bs are you guys serious? can anyone confirm this?

if this really is true why do ppl bother opening there bonnet

Whats with the whole airbag thing? S15s dont have any airbag sensor/etc up the front of the car..do skylines have something up there?

I'm pretty sure most airbag cars these days have sensors on the seatbelt. It senses the tension and deploys the airbag.

So if the crumple of the front of the car is altered then the seatbelt sensitiveness mys also be altered because the drivers force on the belt is different.

That's why seatbelts have to be changed if the airbag goes off. Happened to my dad's EL Falcon when my sister crashed it.

I am seriously going to speak to a friend that is both Vic Roads and CAMS and knows all about car importation, registration, compliance etc etc. I want to know what it takes to become a Vic Roads engineer as i want to get licenced. This is a farking joke. I know in NSW you have to have relevant industry experience, and i recall that you dont vene have to be a formally qualified engineer. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

So any car that has an airbag needs to be crash tested and repaired, then crash tested again, then repaired then crash tested again....hang on, when can i stop testing the repair or deviation from factory????? :blink::P:laugh::D

Tell me how many modern cars with front air bags, curtain air bags etc etc get repaired on a daily basis in Victoria, oftern which require putting on a jig and stretching, often requiring factory spot welds or glue to be removed so new panels can go on get repaired every day and just drive out the door on the say so of the panel beater!!!!

This whole engineering thing has its place and is a good thing. But if it is allowed to turn into a sham which is what i am reading here then soon stupidity and profiteering will replace integrity and safety!!!

I'm pretty sure most airbag cars these days have sensors on the seatbelt. It senses the tension and deploys the airbag.

So if the crumple of the front of the car is altered then the seatbelt sensitiveness mys also be altered because the drivers force on the belt is different.

That's why seatbelts have to be changed if the airbag goes off. Happened to my dad's EL Falcon when my sister crashed it.

I believe thats because the seatbelt has those pre-tensioners which open up and tension the seatbelt just before you crash..hence having them replaced

But the actual airbag module (in an S15) runs off an internal accelerometer/g-sensor thats mounted in under the rear seat..

Its still such a crap thing though.

So what happens with 4WDs fitted with bullbars and what not? even those plastic moulded ones that go on the front of commodores? and the huge foglights they put on? how about the jacked up hilux's and shit..if one of those drove into the back of my car, his bumper could tear my whole roof off..haha

What about 32 gtst? The have the same hole as the gtr's but it is covered by a plate, there for if i was to remove the plate and put the stock gtr pipe in place would it still be legal. I know the 32's dont have air bags but it makes me wonder if this is an option for 32 gtst drivers as it would be the same as a gtr and the crash specs would not be changed.

Its a pain in the ass and police look for it specifically. Couple mates have had the same thing.

In relation to police not being able to make you pop your bonnet. I'm sure that if you didnt, they would simply assume you had something to hide and would issue you with a defect notice, an epa notice and whatever else they could throw at you. So in most cases, its probably easier to just go with them.

went to see my friend who is a mechanic,told him the whole story,he ended up calling the guy from vicroads,apparently he came down to his shop this afternoon..they had a good chat,basically my mate just told me that the guy from vicroads got no idea what so ever..just trying to scare you,the guy was jumping from one conclusion to another..he didnt knw what to do or say he was confused at what the guy was saying in regards about my hole in the battery..he started picking on other stuff on the car.

my friend said at end of the day,i probably get a kenary..also told me to wait till monday and go to vicroads and ask if theres any reports/defects made on my car..if there isnt im ok to go if not have to speak to the superior in charge...fingers crossed

Edited by Gunr32

the fact that you have a rubber grommet around it and an intercooler pipe inside it probably means nothing, as the hole is still there

when nissan certified the vehicle with airbags and no hole there on their CAD simulator and testing bench etc it reacted a certain way

now the chassis is different, it will re-act differently.

what i said was if you didn't have the airbag issue. a while back someone mentioned that they had their FMIC on their skyline engineered (no airbag), and the only modification was to ensure no rust would form by using thick rubber.

Edited by dmr

If you car came with an airbag (which S15's do), and you have cut a hole where there was not one from the factory (due to a FMIC piping or something)... then you sir are in a fair predicament. :bunny:

Engineers wont sign off on that ever, as they don't want to risk being liable should an airbag not work and so on

Not completely true, Kris (Krzysiu) was defected by officer pettet for having the hole cute for an intercooler in his old car (1996 R33 gts-t - Read: AIRBAGS)

and the first engineer he rang on the VASS list was more then happy to inspect the car and gave him an engineers certificate for the hole!

i'm not saying its nessasarily safe/unsafe just that your not completlystuffed, your situation can be easy fixed, just with a few $$$!

Wow I knew this could be an issue if you got picked up on it, but I had no idea cops were targeting it!

I would guess the only way to solve your problem (if what ash had said aboutt engineers is correct) is to weld it up really neat and repaint it, the run cooler piping that does not cause you to run into this problem.

Meanwhile this weekend i'm gonna start looking at fabricating up some covers for my engine to hide stuff like this!

Not completely true, Kris (Krzysiu) was defected by officer pettet for having the hole cute for an intercooler in his old car (1996 R33 gts-t - Read: AIRBAGS)

and the first engineer he rang on the VASS list was more then happy to inspect the car and gave him an engineers certificate for the hole!

i'm not saying its nessasarily safe/unsafe just that your not completlystuffed, your situation can be easy fixed, just with a few $$$!

How long ago was that Mark?

Wondering if its more a recent thing, year or two as opposed to 3-4yrs cause i know Kris sold that a while ago?

Its a crock of shit. Are they going to say the same thing about bull bar manufacturers who actually drill through structual componenets to attach the bull bar. What about stretch vehicles, limos etc. They modify and strengthen chassis rails in these cars, are they illegal? Bullshit they are engineered and registered.

I can understan things like ppl installing aftermarket HIDs etc in their earlier model cars beign illegal. But most of what being discussed here is a joke.

Personally, if i ever get caught with this sort of stuff, i will be requesting a list of the ADRs that my vehicle contravenes and will be personally reviewing the language to ensure that i am not beign dicked. This all came up when a friend in an R33 was being dicked for the same thing. I went through the ADRs at the time and couldnt see anything detailed enough that they can defect you for it.

Now the whole EPA thing i have no problem with, its fair and obvious. But this whole mod thing?!??!?!?!

In my opinion the whole problem is to do with structural integrity and rusting of the hole, rather than the airbag issue. I say this because the people i know who have copped this are driving s13s and 32s..

Weld up and paint did the trick for them though.. Still a pain in the ass obviously.. :D

Your car does not technically have a chassis, it's a mono-coque shell design. The entire shell works as a chassis, that is why it's considered "modifying the chassis". You've cut a hole in a "crumple zone" thus lessening the integrity of the chassis (shell), Regardless of airbag or no airbag It should not be done.