SAU Community

Coilovers Illegel?

howdy ppl, havent been on here in a while.. anyway was driving through deception bay 2weeks ago got pulled over by cop, got defected for a few things, 7 in total actually, screamer pipe, (my fault) exhaust at 115db also my bad! blow off valve not plumbed back, catchcan oil return line not plumbed into intake pipe (i had a lil air filter on the catch can but apprently also illegel) right hand side cooler pipe running through side wall of car got me for that too, but the left hand side where the standard pipes for the stock cooler would normally be didnt pick at. oh and pod filter not boxed in or shielded told me it can catch on fire? they know it all (apprently) :P

anywho......tried getting me for my upgraded break rotors and callipers even thou they are geniune nissan items.....this cop thought he knew everything,

oh and forgot too my tyres were a lil worn on the inside edges to so defected me for them, also tried to get me for front bar being cut out but its the standard front bar NOT cut out anyone who has seen my car knows its clean and straight as no kits or shit hanging off it, so he got me 3points and 200dollar fine, not too bad and let me drive home back to loganholme that night.

its gotta go over the pits at Darra inspection station at Ipswich in2 weeks time, i need to know if the coilovers iam using japspec Tein adjustables just the street trim version not the full on track option ones....are Illegel?? i have been told 2different things, yes they are illegel and no they are not its just the ride height thats gotta be no less than 100mm under the car at any point. so is there somone on here who is a certified modification plate officer that knows the system and can tell me if adjustable coilovers are illegel in aus? if they are i need to organise some stock suspension to get me through the pits. many thanks in advnce i look foward to hearing from you guys. cheers azza (poq123) 4door r33.

100 mls ride hieght to the lowest part of the chassis, not body kit, not exhaust pipe, not suspension components...chassi

non adjustable coil overs are perfectly legal

Platform Adjustable coil overs are not legal.

two reasons 1: they can be lowered below 100ml's, fitted to a road legal car.

2: the spring rate can be stiffened beyond that which is suitable for road use.

Camber adjustment plates are not legal as it requires the upper strut towers to be modified.

castor adjusters are legal as they are a direct replacement item for what is already there. just looks bling bling.

tyres, 1.5 mls of tread over 75% of the width of the tire, so for a 200/50/r16 tyre the amount of tread still needed that is 1.5 ml deep is 15o ml, so on a 225 tyre you must have atleast 168 mls of tread width that is atleast 1.5 mls deep.

100 mls ride hieght to the lowest part of the chassis, not body kit, not exhaust pipe, not suspension components...chassi

non adjustable coil overs are perfectly legal

Platform Adjustable coil overs are not legal.

two reasons 1: they can be lowered below 100ml's, fitted to a road legal car.

2: the spring rate can be stiffened beyond that which is suitable for road use.

Camber adjustment plates are not legal as it requires the upper strut towers to be modified.

castor adjusters are legal as they are a direct replacement item for what is already there. just looks bling bling.

tyres, 1.5 mls of tread over 75% of the width of the tire, so for a 200/50/r16 tyre the amount of tread still needed that is 1.5 ml deep is 15o ml, so on a 225 tyre you must have atleast 168 mls of tread width that is atleast 1.5 mls deep.

hey mate thankyou for your advice, my coilovers are adjustable so then they are illegal, thankyou for clearing it up for me, cheers!!

a little off topic, but i didn't kno u can cop points for defect...

i've been defected twice with my old car in vic but no point deduction?

yeah i didnt think so either mate, but mine was cause i had the screamer pipe, thats a major defect, he could of had me put on a truck and taken away right there and then but cause i lived so far away he let me drive it home. so yea my fault for having the screamer into atmosphere hence the 3points.

• 4 years later...

Hey sorry for the nub question, but what qualifies the shock as 'platform adjustable' ?

I have tein super streets and cusco's. Currently running the cusco's all round. Defectable in QLD?

Dave

ok guys, adjustable coilovers are perfectly legal. provided the are set at the correct ride height and locked off and marked with a paint pen, ride height is 100mm min clearance to the lowest part of the car NOT the chassis if the exhaust is lower than chassis then the measurement is taken from the lowest part of the car.

Camber adjustment in a Skyline is either bolt in lower or upper control arms, wtf is the strut tower modification?

• 2 weeks later...