SAU Community

Stock Gtr Ecu On A Rb26/30, Will It Run And Drive Ok?

unique1

hey guys im lookin at doing a 30 bottom end in my car .i have a defect sticker on the car now and the current rb26 is too modified to pass because of cams and ecu, so i bought a low compression rb26 complete engine and wanna build a 26/30 with low mount turbos im just wondering could i plug in a stock gtr ecu into the factory gtr loom and it run the engine fine? i would use stock injectors as well, does anyone have any idea if it will run well and drive smoothly enough to pass an inspection? i dont need an emmisions test or nothing but they will drive the car and it needs to drive along in a normal fashion.

If not ill have to stick to using another rb26 bottom end and build that :)

After building my rb25/30 my mechanic turned the key using the old rb25 tune (wolf3D). The car started idled without issue, but not sure if it would have driven, i pretty sure my mechanic would have drove it on the rollers, but he wouldn't have driven out out the garage.

You would probably have better luck, fitting std injectors to your current rb26, fitting all the std bolt-ons and using your std ecu. Provided your cams aren't ridiculously lumpy, it should run fine.

After building my rb25/30 my mechanic turned the key using the old rb25 tune (wolf3D). The car started idled without issue, but not sure if it would have driven, i pretty sure my mechanic would have drove it on the rollers, but he wouldn't have driven out out the garage.

You would probably have better luck, fitting std injectors to your current rb26, fitting all the std bolt-ons and using your std ecu. Provided your cams aren't ridiculously lumpy, it should run fine.

the cams are pretty big, bigger than 272s and higher than 11mm lift so they are not easy to hide ;) the turbo is a big single and that doesnt help the looking stock factor lol.

i might give it a crack getting this engine over with my current ecu and hope to christ they dont pick the cams and ecu

thanks for the feedback so far guys

If you run the stock afm`s/injectors/cams it should run fine onthe stock ecu. It will just "see" more air and adjust fuel accordingly, as long as you dont cane it too much it should be sweet :)

on the 26 ecu it will be fine for driving around.

don't go thrashing it as the timing map will be completly different from the 26 to the 30 due to extra capacity and comp ratio

great info, ill see what happens at the inspection with the current setup and that will determine which way i go later on with this new engine :P i want a single turbo rb30 or even rb30 with twins if i have to, but rb30's are illegal in a 1996 model car and single turbo might be an issue to, but ill find that out with my current setup. I also have 4wd so making it work with the 4wd sump is also a drama.

The normal rb26 with some forgies and low mount 2860-7s or even -5's looks like the best "legal" option but not what i would really like :ninja:

Edited by unique1

I don't know who told you RB30's are illegal but they're wrong.

Putting an older emissioned engine in a newer car is illegal but changing bottom ends and retaining the head/emissions setup for that particular year/car is fine.

If you want some help/advice in regards to 4wd RB30 then give me a bell and I'll take you to see my mechanic mate. I have his old 30 and he built a new one to go into his GTS4.

hey guys im lookin at doing a 30 bottom end in my car .i have a defect sticker on the car now and the current rb26 is too modified to pass because of cams and ecu, so i bought a low compression rb26 complete engine and wanna build a 26/30 with low mount turbos im just wondering could i plug in a stock gtr ecu into the factory gtr loom and it run the engine fine? i would use stock injectors as well, does anyone have any idea if it will run well and drive smoothly enough to pass an inspection? i dont need an emmisions test or nothing but they will drive the car and it needs to drive along in a normal fashion.

If not ill have to stick to using another rb26 bottom end and build that :banana:

I have done this it will run fine. I have done everything you have done to a degree, (with your past and current cars) I will pm you more details or offer opinions if you like as I dont want it public ok. just shoot me a pm.