SAU Community

$350 Turbo made 253rwkw @ .9bar

BOOSTD

hmmm i was reading about that variable housing in 21 century performance, it sounds good in theory. but to tel you the truth i have never seen on or herd of one being used on a car? it sounds amazing.

BOOSTED: what computer are you running. i have a VG30 turb on my car now and i am going to modify it very simialr to what you have done to get about a 240rwc. because i am using the VG housing with a bigger A/R, will there be a need for the groove to reduce surge?? and am i able to contor the sure as i am running a MOTEC M4?

alot of queations i know, sorry :D .     thanks, jonathan

The groove doesn't in essence reduce only surge. It does it by reducing how fast the turbo spools by reducing compressor efficiency. Average power is reduced with the groove, so getting it right without the groove is the better option. The car was very unexciting to drive without rapid boost build. I found with dual stage boost control, I could still make more boost a low rpm. Not sure what the MOTEC can to ,but , if you can control boost build you can control surge.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible/good idea if i got my hands on a cheap t04 compressor cover and adaptor, put it on to the vg30 t3 core w/vg30 exhaust housing without porting the exhaust housing, it should'nt surge as the comp cover can flow more air... a/r comp cover around .70

oh, and use the vtrim comp wheel

Would it be possible/good idea if i got my hands on a cheap t04 compressor cover and adaptor, put it on to the vg30 t3 core w/vg30 exhaust housing without porting the exhaust housing, it should'nt surge as the comp cover can flow more air... a/r comp cover around .70

oh, and use the vtrim comp wheel

if the comp cover bolts on, than yes the .7 A/R would improve power and reduce the occurance of surge. The exhuast snout size would have to be reduced to compensate for the increased spoolup time from the larger A/R comp cover.

if the comp cover bolts on, than yes the .7 A/R would improve power and reduce the occurance of surge. The exhuast snout size would have to be reduced to compensate for the increased spoolup time from the larger A/R comp cover.

When you say the exhaust snout would have to be reduced, do you mean below standard vg30 size, or just not machined out at all?

In theory with a .7 a/r comp cover, it should reduce lag because you do not have to machine out the exhaust housing, therefore you donot reduce the efficency

Also, just pulled apart my stock rb20 turbo, (which i havent driven with, it came on a motor package and i put a vg30 on straight away), and the inducer on the comp wheel is roughly 48mm, that seems a bit big for a stock rb20 turbo...

When you say the exhaust snout would have to be reduced, do you mean below standard vg30 size, or just not machined out at all?

In theory with a .7 a/r comp cover, it should reduce lag because you do not have to machine out the exhaust housing, therefore you donot reduce the efficency

it wil still need machinin just no as much maybe 1mm less. yes you should be able to decease lag with the .7 A/R comp in theory..

The RB20 Comp cover is different to the Rb25 and VG30. Don't think a T04 will fit. The VG and Rb25 turbo compressor housing will bolt onto the Rb20 turbo. make sure the VG is Ball Bearing as the non ball bearing is different.

BooSTD , just wanting to know the Finer details on machining the backing plate recess to fit the new compressor wheel ... Do you remove the turbine shaft from the centre core before you machine the recess in the cores backing plate ? aslo do you inlarge the dia of the centre hole of the new comp wheel to fit the turbine shaft ? cheers Cam

it wil still need machinin just no as much maybe 1mm less. yes you should be able to decease lag with the .7 A/R comp in theory..

The RB20 Comp cover is different to the Rb25 and VG30. Don't think a T04 will fit. The VG and Rb25 turbo compressor housing will bolt onto the Rb20 turbo. make sure the VG is Ball Bearing as the non ball bearing is different.

Showed Bill at ATS, turns out its just a standard late model mspec, the inducer is 47mm

BooSTD ,   just wanting to know the Finer details on machining the backing plate recess to fit the new compressor wheel ... Do you remove the turbine shaft from the centre core before you machine the recess in the cores backing plate ? aslo do you inlarge the dia of the centre hole of the  new comp wheel to fit the turbine shaft ?   cheers Cam

I don't think the shaft needs to be removed. I did not do that part myself however so couldn't tell you definately sorry. Yes the centre of the comp wheel needs to be professionally enlarged if you have a big shaft VG30. Russell Engineering(works for ATS) in Adelaide did mine for me.

kewl, Bill from ATS is the one who helped with this turbo. Definately the guy to talk to

Did Bill from ATS Recomend the To4 "V" Trim comp wheel .. i was going to use a

TO4 E 54trim wheel it is close to the same size .. and the surge limit should be better than the "V" trim at lower RPM levels .. and is more efficient up to 15psi .. I used the Ray hall web site compressor map programme to work it out .. it did show the the the V trim comp wheel in the surge zone when you put in the engine specs .. thanks for the Info so far :rofl: Boostd

Oh you're kidding me. Shit no! Matty I feel for you mate, I really do. So are we talking, off the road due to theft-damaged-recovered? Or are we talking theft-gone-no more car? Either way Matt, I hope things go your way in the end.

The people that do this sort of thing need to have something they have worked hard on (if they ever have?) taken away from THEM without warning. And if that isn't enough to deter them then a hand or eye would probably suffice. A bit extreme perhaps? But I bet they'd think twice about doing it again.

No stress guys, I was in secure parking while I went out bush with work. Got a call from the police saying my car was sitting on a jack and spare tyre with the rims gone and windows smashed. Came back 3 days later to find the car inside and out pretty trashed. They broke into the secure parking with and oxy torch, stole a wheel a jack from the car beside mine to jack mine with and the rest is history....Alot of effort, but after adding up they made away with $1500 worth of gear.

All cover by insurance...hence the "No Stress"

I have found time to get a few more parts...like a HKS stainless manifold of ebay for $152US

and hopefully a Turbonectics T66 ceramic Bearing turbo.

No stress guys, I was in secure parking while I went out bush with work. Got a call from the police saying my car was sitting on a jack and spare tyre with the rims gone and windows smashed. Came back 3 days later to find the car inside and out pretty trashed. They broke into the secure parking with and oxy torch, stole a wheel and jack from the car beside mine to jack up mine with and the rest is history....Alot of effort, but after adding up they made away with $15000 worth of gear.

All covered by insurance...hence the "No Stress"

I have found time to get a few more parts...like a HKS stainless manifold of ebay for $152US

and hopefully a Turbonectics T66 ceramic Bearing turbo.

The lengths these people will go to just to cause some havoc is unbelievable :)

LMK when you get it back to WSID Matt coz last time I ran beside you I did a PB, even if it was only 0.02sec quicker :)