SAU Community

$350 Turbo made 253rwkw @ .9bar

BOOSTD

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was the other way around, you were in my slipstream until the last 50m when you flashed past me at about ~310mph before braking :)

Very interested in the DVD's, are they downloadable? PM me.

Hi guys.

I am unsure of exactly what part of the turbine housing you are boring out. Can you please post some photos of the exhaust housing explaining what has been bored out? Or if no photos can you please explain it in detial?

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think the shaft needs to be removed. I did not do that part myself however so couldn't tell you definately sorry. Yes the centre of the comp wheel needs to be professionally enlarged if you have a big shaft VG30. Russell Engineering(works for ATS) in Adelaide did mine for me.

I was under the impression that the only part of the VG30 Turbo used is the turbine housing.

So why is there a reference to maching the new comp wheel to fit the big shaft VG30. If you use the VG30 shaft that means you also use the VG30 turbine wheel.

I thought you used the RB25 turbine wheel and shaft in the VG30 turbine housing.

Maybe I've missed something!

• 1 month later...

boosted good to see a bit of r+d happening on the cheap:D, ive benn following your progress. and i feel i have to ask you what response will the following turbo

T4/T51 turbo , 54 trim T51 wheel in S04 compressor housing. Turbonetics Q trim wheel in .70 divided housing with T4 foot and V-band discharge

its going on a rb20 with bigger inject ect

p.s sorry to hear about the bad luck regrds to thiefs, but as always come back bigger and better

thanx

K

• 3 weeks later...

this thread is gold.

I have a few questions about this turbo build.

I spoke to precision turbochargers and the guy told me the TO4E vtrim compressor wheel can fit on the rb25 spindle and the existing housing can be used. This would mean i do not need a vg30 exhaust housing.

Does this work?. I dont mind if it is less powerful as my goal is 210rwkw.

Is there a replacement exhaust wheel to replace the ceramic one that wont delaminate/chip? that is a direct/cheap replacement?.

The turbo will be going on an rb20 and i want it to spool up as quickly as possible with this combo.

• 5 weeks later...
boosted good to see a bit of r+d happening on the cheap:D, ive benn following your progress. and i feel i have to ask you what response will the following turbo 

T4/T51 turbo , 54 trim T51 wheel in S04 compressor housing. Turbonetics Q trim wheel in .70 divided housing with T4 foot and V-band discharge

its going on a rb20 with bigger inject ect

p.s sorry to hear about the bad luck regrds to thiefs, but as always come back bigger and better

thanx 

K

Do you mean T51 56 trim or T04E 54trim ? I am not familiar with a T51 54trim.

this thread is gold.

I have a few questions about this turbo build.

I spoke to precision turbochargers and the guy told me the TO4E vtrim compressor wheel can fit on the rb25 spindle and the existing housing can be used. This would mean i do not need a vg30 exhaust housing. 

Does this work?. I dont mind if it is less powerful as my goal is 210rwkw.

Is there a replacement exhaust wheel to replace the ceramic one that wont delaminate/chip? that is a direct/cheap replacement?.

The turbo will be going on an rb20 and i want it to spool up as quickly as possible with this combo.

Haven't heard of a T04E Vtrim.......Somethink similar size to a HKS2530 will have good spool and make the power you are after at reasonable boost 14-17psi depending on ur setup. Cheap options are a R33 stocker which will have similar spoolup than a 2530 but be limited to 180-200rwkw on anb RB20 and also max 15psi due to the closed turbine trim and ceramic turbine. Another cheap option is a VG30 non-ball bearing turbo which is a direct bolt on and has a larger steel turbine enabling boost upto 20psi. Lag will be increased but 210rwkw will be reachable.

I have seen a T04E 54 trim installed without any turbine side mods and It made 3rwkw more than the stock 33 turbo. it was then modified with an external gate(mounted directly on the turbine housing) and made 8 more kw on the same boost. Then bored the turbine snout and made another 12rwkw. The ceramic 32/33/Vg30 turbine is just so massively restrictive after 14psi that a new compressor won't make much difference. Then there is the issue of turbo life, the T04E will make good power(250rwkw) but needs a decent wack of boost to do it, you will have trouble making 15 or more psi with the ceramic turbine as the design just doesn't create enough torque to drive the compressor to the shaft speeds needed. Also the smaller shaft(most of them accept a few BBVG30) ceramic equiped turbo's won't last long at high boost pressures. So having said all that, I would go for a compressor on the larger side which can make the power you are after at say under 15psi boost. A T04E 50 trim would do the trick no worries with quite good spool-up @ 210rwkw however if that isn't honeslty the max power you would ever want go a bigger comp like the T04 vtrim that will make 250rwkw at 15psi. I still haven't seen anyone put a T04 Super Vtrim in yet.....I think that would be the way to go 210rwkw at nice low boost with acceptable spoolup and room to spare for later mods.

Sorry for the long winded post but I haven't talked turbo's for a while :confused:

GCG do a replacement turbine and shaft that retains the BB internals, but, dirt cheap they are not.

So is this what GCG call the RB25 High Flow ? If any of you have seen these Nissan Hitachi Ceramic BB turbos pulled down the turbine shaft is unique . Maybe GCG is getting plain bearing turbines and having them ground to the same dimensions which is expensive to do . From memory I think there is a radius towards the turbine end of the shaft which forms the rear inner ball race . Assuming Im right this may also need to be hard chromed which is also expensive .

To those that have the ability to change compressor wheels there is a six bladed TO4B compressor wheel with similar blade profile and inducer size to the V trim or dash 25 . Most of the surge problems are caused by these eight blade wheels trying to move lots of air at low revs (both compressor and crank) the six blade wheels dont do this as much but still deliver enough air when the engine can take it . I'm surprised Bill at ATS has not tried this , if he did surge would be a thing of the past for a lot less cost and effort . I'll have a look at the parts list for B series wheels and post some dimension and part no figures .

Chow A .

Forgot to add if your fitting B series or any non native compressor wheels into those RB25 Hitachi covers throw your compressor maps away . Garrett maps are plotted using their native TO4B compressor covers (this is documented in the legend) and changing to non std ones alters the flow characteristics , efficiency islands , and most importantly the surge line .

To be continued , Cheers A .