SAU Community

Another "which Oil?" Topic

cjfb

Sorry to ask a question that’s been done to death, but after doing all the research I could I still can’t come up with a definitive answer about what type of oil I should be using.

This is my first car and I’ve only had it for about a month, so I’m about as uninformed as they come.

-My car is a pretty much stock R33 GTS25-t Sedan.

-It’s done just over 100,000 k and the engine seems to be in pretty decent condition.

-I don’t use it on tracks and rarely ever push it above 4000rpm

-I’m currently using it for 30k trips to & from work 5 days a week, other than that I mostly use it for quick 5-10 minute trips.

-I live in Perth, so the lowest the temp gets to here is about 1 or 2 degrees on a winter morning.

I was about to go and buy some Mobil 1 5w50 but a bit more reading told me that I’m probably better off with Mobil 1 0w40 or 10w30, seeing as I don’t use it on tracks or anything. If recommended I’m willing to fork out a bit more for some Royal Purple or something, but it apparently that would be slight overkill for how I use my car.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

from what I've been told by my mechanic whome I trust (unigroup) 10W40 is the right viscosity for a R34 GTT with 64k ... which is pretty similar to your car.

They reckon all the brand name fuss is a lot of nonsense and if you change the oil every 5000k it really doesn't matter which brand .. they use 'Hi-tec' which I believe is a local brand.

from what I've been told by my mechanic whome I trust (unigroup) 10W40 is the right viscosity for a R34 GTT with 64k ... which is pretty similar to your car.

They reckon all the brand name fuss is a lot of nonsense and if you change the oil every 5000k it really doesn't matter which brand .. they use 'Hi-tec' which I believe is a local brand.

I agree that if its for street driving (at low to mid rpm) cheap oil is an ok option as long as you are doing changes every 5k and no more! If you do ever decide you want to track it (or drive on the freeway in 2nd) don't go cheap on oil as you want something thats not going to break down at high engine temps.

I would say tho try and stick with fully synthetics and a 10w40 would be a quite adequate weight for street driving although i personally go 5w50 (mobil 1 fully synthetic) But i do use it on the track...i also over fill by about 500ml to try and stop potential starvation at high rpm/fast cornering.

Cheers

Cam

You won't go wrong with:

Brand - any name brand ie Mobil, Shell, Castrol, etc

Type - Full Synthetic

API rating - SJ (minimum, current is SM)

SAE (Grade): First digits (for starting) - 0W, 5W, 10W / Last Digits (for running) - 40

For a skyline ................Semi Synthetic is better than full synthetic....

Were are talking about motor that are 12yr +...............

Unless you have a forged motor

then we are talking different

Arrg so many differring recommendations/opinions. :blink:

I was sure that fully synthetic was definitely the way to go... but now i'm told semi-synthetic?

As for viscosity, I'm now looking at 10w40. Is that a good choice for an RB25DET engine that's gone 100,000k?

Arrg so many differring recommendations/opinions. :thumbsup:

it's simple, just use <your favourite brand here> oil.

seriously, any good quality full synthetic oil will do great. the minor differences are probably all in your head, the only consistent thing i notice is that the car seems to run nicer on FRESH oil.

Tried Motul, ELF, Nulon, Mobil 1 etc... the only thing better than any of these would be an oil that reverses the wear on your engine and that ain't happening! :thumbsup: