SAU Community

"adaptronic" Engine Management Systems ?

No offense, but my shitty wolf 3dv4 has rev limit based on water temp, so does my 10 year old autronic. For $3000 i would want some pretty fancy bells and whistles inc plug and play.

just because i used Water temperature as a example doesnt mean its limited to only that specific point.... :bunny:

and plug and play - yeah with a patch loom...... Will come eventually. How many cars are around for them to have patch looms in the first year that the ECU has been on the market? Skylines arent the only looms known to man kind... and im pretty sure not all looms are the same from nissan's lineup... And you cant exactly compare a PFC to this in the way of "plug and play"

Zebra - Yeah but by the time you have it wired in and tuned its closer to the mid 2 grand :down:

Haltech, Vipec, Link, but to name a few

i think you missed the point of what i said - it was more directed at the fact there are a SHITLOAD of looms in existance.... for them to do EVERY one of them in under a year would be f**king nuts...

i run Adaptronic in my sigma and i rate them highy. At the time of buying i was considering the Microtech LT12 but went with the adaptronic for budget but also knowing that the fact that it's price wasnt pushed up by the name. All the features are there and it's proving great results so i went with it. I run the 3 bar map, air temp, after market idle stepper, 02 sensor, tps, fuel pumps via auxillary and single coil setup with dizzy.

this is it before it went into it's hidey hole

post-61816-1249626544_thumb.jpg

Had no problems at all, love the cold start boost cut preventing you getting stuck in too early, and the after market idle stepper for smoothness. It's a full control system in a car that had no ecu prior so as a stand alone im very happy with it.

post-61816-1249626785_thumb.jpg

if i were going to ecu upgrade my skyline i'd be going either adaptronic or vipec (glttoy's advice)

Richard - You will recognise this username from GTIROZ... :P

E1280S can run 12 ignition outputs and 12 injectors or so (would have to confirm both figures) hence the 12 part of the model.... According to one of my best mates who is the NQ adaptronic installer/tuner/reseller it can be completely customized to the point, yuo can write a macro system for it that say at 49ºC it wont let the car reach 5000rpm but at 50ºc it can to go to limiter etc....

This is all being reproduced by me but thats how it was explained to me by Jason.

Oh and this time instead of hte shitty connectors it has a moulded plug (much like a factory unit).

they are branding it as a "Supercomputer" since it can have functions written into it!

Most ecu's have this function, remaps can even do it. Neither here nor there. I just ordered a mx5 setup from Adaptronic for a turbo steup we are doing and the service outshone anyone (had ecu in my hand within 20hrs), i wanted the new ecu to have a play but the customers budget dictated the older one so i will live with the connectors :D this turbo setup should really give the ecu a workout so we will see how we travel.

Edited by URAS

• 2 months later...

Yeah we did another Adaptronic in a AE86, came up real nice and gained quite a bit over the std ecu. Still waiting to get the Turbo MX5 back for its final tuning... cant wait.

Most ecu's have this function, remaps can even do it. Neither here nor there. I just ordered a mx5 setup from Adaptronic for a turbo steup we are doing and the service outshone anyone (had ecu in my hand within 20hrs), i wanted the new ecu to have a play but the customers budget dictated the older one so i will live with the connectors :blush: this turbo setup should really give the ecu a workout so we will see how we travel.

Most ECUs don't have the ability to tune how the E1280S does...

You can tune it up with bazillion internal logic sequences, to the point you can run the engine AND the gearbox at the same time, and depending on what each parameter is doing, the ecu can have a different output...

The basic Adaptronic has the water temp correction, but you can actually write 3D maps into the E1280S from what I've seen.

I run the E420C, and CPD on the forum runs the E1280S in his R33 (I'm going to check it out this weekend) and I'll report back a hell of a lot more information for you.

No offense, but my shitty wolf 3dv4 has rev limit based on water temp, so does my 10 year old autronic. For $3000 i would want some pretty fancy bells and whistles inc plug and play.

I believe that price quoted was isntalled... and Tuned... :blush:

• 3 months later...

Just to clarify, the e420c has IAT, AUX AT and Water temp inputs. All can run fuel and ignition trims. Water temp can be used to limit rpm. It isn't a Temp vs RPM table but below a certain WT you can limit to a certain RPM. I usually set it to 60degrees and 4500rpm but it ends up giving drivers the willies and they ask for it removed :nyaanyaa:

IAT isn't required to get a car running, and ill be buggered if I can work out how you got your 20% change. It for certain wasn't anything Boyle theorised! While it does make a difference, usually a standard run of the mill budget build will not be tuned within any sort of degree where the change in air temp will cause even remotely dangerous engine conditions. 2rismo is correct.

Plus do you really think a dyno tuner is going to tune for a IAT correction table when they only have the car for 1 day? That sounds impossible to me unless they put it in a fridge.

The e420c is a bang up piece of kit, unbelievable considering the price and specs. The e1280 is just amazing, and is revolutionary with what it allows an advanced user to do!

Just to clarify, the e420c has IAT, AUX AT and Water temp inputs. All can run fuel and ignition trims. Water temp can be used to limit rpm. It isn't a Temp vs RPM table but below a certain WT you can limit to a certain RPM. I usually set it to 60degrees and 4500rpm but it ends up giving drivers the willies and they ask for it removed :nyaanyaa:

IAT isn't required to get a car running, and ill be buggered if I can work out how you got your 20% change. It for certain wasn't anything Boyle theorised! While it does make a difference, usually a standard run of the mill budget build will not be tuned within any sort of degree where the change in air temp will cause even remotely dangerous engine conditions. 2rismo is correct.

Plus do you really think a dyno tuner is going to tune for a IAT correction table when they only have the car for 1 day? That sounds impossible to me unless they put it in a fridge.

The e420c is a bang up piece of kit, unbelievable considering the price and specs. The e1280 is just amazing, and is revolutionary with what it allows an advanced user to do!

For another $500 you can get an SM4 - then you could have rev limiters based on oil pressure or oil temp or EGT or whatever the f**k you want!!!

And after a few years of tuning you get a pretty good idea (after looking at IAT location) what the charge temp correction table will look like - so yes it is possible to tune IAT correction in 1 day.

Just to clarify, the e420c has IAT, AUX AT and Water temp inputs. All can run fuel and ignition trims. Water temp can be used to limit rpm. It isn't a Temp vs RPM table but below a certain WT you can limit to a certain RPM. I usually set it to 60degrees and 4500rpm but it ends up giving drivers the willies and they ask for it removed :blink:

All a/f ratios change the same with iat change the same amount if not compensated, so its not something that needs to be setup on the dyno, one map suits all.

I have personally tuned an old Adaptronic before they came with an IAT sensor. The owner went away and fitted a water/air intercooler where previously there was none. Full load A/ratios went from 12.0 :1 to 13.4:1

If the ecu had been fitted with an air temp sensor with the correct values(the same table that autronic has in its code/ its a gas constant) then the ecu would have compensated almost perfectly.

We worked with andy to do the first MX5 plug and play, and the turnaround was excellent.

Edited by Adriano

agree with rob, for an extra $500 you can have a well known, well supported off the shelf race car ECU supported out of australia

The Adaptronic is Australian. Sydney based actually.

It is getting well known, and it is supported very well by Adaptronic, and quite a few work shops are starting to get behind it. ESPECIALLY in the UK.

As for all the oil pressure limits, do able, just depends on how you wire it in. But really, if I had a drop in oil pressure, I wouldn't want my motor rev limited, I'd want it to shut down immediately... :blink:

The e1280 is just amazing, and is revolutionary with what it allows an advanced user to do!

To be honest i used to loath the adaptronics as the few id played with had connector issues and intermittently played up, but after installing a few new ones and having no dramas i figured most of those earlier issues were most likely poor installation by whoever did the job in the first place.

Soon as our wedding is finalised (few months) im gonna put my money where my mouth is and order one of those e1280 for a new 1400rwhp project thats in the works here.

Also the reason most other ECU's are supplied with an intake/charge temp sensor is because they can only run their brand sensor. The adaptronic can be scaled to run ANY sensor so long as it is a resistance (which every one I have ever seen has been). It is the same with WT, AUX T, MAP, TPS, CAS. They can all be scaled to run on any sensor which avoids having to modify or retrofit sensors.

This is a plus not a negative.

MSB206 is bang on, given a usual dyno tune, the effects of IAT are negledgable not to mention I don't want a VERY advanced setting guessed so you can squeese that extra 5hp.

I think Adriano forgot to convert to Kelvin I think, skewing his results.

I tuned my car in summer, how on earth can it even drive in ACT winters without an IAT trim? I have the sensor, in fact i have pre and post intercooler logged by the e420c but I have a trim on neither because its not required. I deal with it making bit more power cold and runing 12.5:1 AFR's in 0 degrees air compared to 12.45:1 in 35 degree 80% humidity :)

Plug in looms also have the input available, and you can even use the factory MAF IAT on some cars like toyotas with MAF's. I think Andy does know what he is doing though.

Edited by Jason Broadhurst

Wasted spark is usually fine. Lets do the math for it, I enjoy maths anyway (wtf)?

At 8000rpm you have 15ms per 2 rotations (4 stroke) so you have 7.5ms to charge, discharge and rest a wasted spark setup.

Dwell from factory is around the 3ms mark, which you can usually run at about 3700ns to get a tiny tiny bit more torque. This leaves a very solid 3.8ms for the coil to rest, around the 50% duty.

Not many RB's above 8k :)

How about an old RB30, they have approx 17ms at 7000rpm to fire 6 plugs, allowing approx 3ms to charge fire and rest. The dissy setup on them still goes alright, so multiplying it by 3 should be more than enough.

Semi sequential injection compared to sequential injection is another no brainer, air is pooling for a whole of 1ms before valves are opening and sucking in. 0% real world difference on a car which gets tuned by joe blogs dyno tuning with a conservative tune for all round performance and reliability. It does make a difference on a factory tuned car for emissions and when at least 1000 hours go in to tuning. Unfortunatly I can't bill people for 1000hour tuning!

• Like 1