SAU Community

Exhaust Rubbing Driveshaft - Need Ideas

naga

Took my car for a run through the twisties, entered the first corner and my car made some concerning noises/vibrations. Had to take it easy all the way home coz i was worried about safety/expensive tow 1.5hrs out of melbourne.

So today jacked up the car and had a look and found my trust pe2 is rubbing the driveshaft. there's only like a 1cm gap between.

Anyone got any suggestions to fix this? i'm thicking of just using a hammer to bend the exhaust. but the exhaust is like mint =\

post-2214-1223173917_thumb.jpg

i had something similar when i mounted a gutter a while ago coz of some stupid old man driver..... anyway i had it lifted and just pent it back away from the drive shaft, although mine only mad that ugly sound when reversing or shifting down gears....

Nah dont put a bend in it, theyll ruin the exhaust.

Just get them to chop the flange off ur front pipe or cat and re-do it. A couple of degrees at the cat/frontpipe will give you plenty of clearance where the driveshaft is.

Hey,

Is the pipe out the back of the car in the correct place?

If I had to guess, I'd say you've snapped a rubber mount and the whole thing isn't hanging correctly.

Have a good look underneath to see.

If all the hangers are correct, you _can_ move the pipework slightly on its mounts to drag the muffler away from the shaft.

If there's no room for movement left you could get an exhaust shop to relocate one or more of the mount points to

place the muffler where you want it. Shouldn't cost too much.

But moving that muffler/pipework will also move the rear tip - so if the tip is currently correctly positioned, it will no longer be after the move.

So the pipework between the muffler and the tip may need to be cut and rejoined to allow the tip to be relocated after you move the muffler.

Regards,

Saliya

Thanks guys will keep all that in mind when i go back to the workshop.

I bought it and got it installed at a workshop. Booked it in for Thursday. Will see what he has in mind for the car and let you guys know how it goes.