SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

• 4 weeks later...

Any major fuel supplier or car company behind E85 can only be a good thing as far as availability goes :D Even if it is....Caltex.

By the way guys, cars do ping on E85, it's just that the sound is not your typical distinctive high pitched rattle that we're used to hearing, rather a very deep thumping noise - far harder to pickup for the untrained ear.

Got my 33 tuned on E85 on Friday with a gt3040 (0.63) rear.

On 98 it (14psi) made 227rwkw and on E85 we wound it up to 18psi and made 252rwkw but gained around 30-35rwkw through the midrange.

Feels more responsive down low but doesn't feel like it hits as hard.

My 555cc injectors are at almost 90% so don't have much more room

I will post up dyno sheet soon.

On 98 it (14psi) made 227rwkw and on E85 we wound it up to 18psi and made 252rwkw but gained around 30-35rwkw through the midrange.

Get a 0.82 housing.

"Feels more responsive down low but doesn't feel like it hits as hard." This is exactly right, if a turbo is more responsive and has more power/torque down low it wont feel like it hits as hard. Hitting hard is a sharp change in torque. It will be a lot faster with more low down grunt so it just depends on what you prefer.

something's not right.... my 555's are on 92% @ 323rwkw in an RB25 running e85

^^^^ Yes i was looking at yours the other day and realised something is not right with mine. Even the initial 227kw seemed very low as i'm sure it made around 240 last time.

Do you know roughly how much extra timing you were able to run? Also did you keep pulling fuel out until it started losing power?

i think the reason for the lack of power aswell as the high injector duty is a very restrictive exhaust side. change to a .82 or 1.06 housing and make sure your exhaust isnt too restrictive

yep, my .63 rear (or near enough, probably a little small, OP6) makes 290rwkw on E85 (740cc injectors)

Hamish, your rear housing is a smiliar sized judging on the boost curve, and it makes oodles or power as well.

don't know the exact specs of the gt3040 though...

Afternoon all,

I've been following this topic and looking forward to seeing this fuel at the pump in QLD, whenever that may be....... I came across this article today about biofuels and thought I'd share it with all.

Hey Guiltoy, how's it feel to be 2years ahead of the US Military?

http://www.smartplanet.com/business/blog/s...-biofuels/6274/

"A U.S. Navy-owned F/A-18 Super Hornet is the first supersonic jet with afterburners to fly on a biofuels blend."

Do you think i should drop the exhaust next time?

I still dont get the duty cycle being so high (hit 92% yesterday) with 550 injectors and i presume a good pump.

if you are getting any sort of restriction i would always drop the exhaust and do a run... it costs nothing and helps problem solve at worst

The absolute reality of the situation is that any major retail fuel supplier will dick around with the percentage of ethanol in the mix. I don't even think it'll be called E85 at the pump. Probably 'high ethanol unleaded' or similar.

Whether an argument for a seasonal mix exists in Australia (I don't believe it does), the fact of the matter is that fuel companies will use the cost of ethanol at any given time and their ability to vary the ethanol content to leverage the wholesale cost of unleaded petrol.

In short, the mix will almost certainly change between 70% to 85% without warning and you won't know when or where.

The absolute reality of the situation is that any major retail fuel supplier will dick around with the percentage of ethanol in the mix. I don't even think it'll be called E85 at the pump. Probably 'high ethanol unleaded' or similar.

Whether an argument for a seasonal mix exists in Australia (I don't believe it does), the fact of the matter is that fuel companies will use the cost of ethanol at any given time and their ability to vary the ethanol content to leverage the wholesale cost of unleaded petrol.

In short, the mix will almost certainly change between 70% to 85% without warning and you won't know when or where.

= danger.