SAU Community

Rb20 Or Rb25?

Hi, just bought my first car today, which just happens to be an r34, and noticed the cover said twin cam 2000

Since im new to them im not sure how to tell if its a rb20 or rb25 and i cant find it written anywhere in the engine bay.

I was told it was a 2.5L which would be a rb25 right? going to be pretty pissed if its not.

post a photo..

better yet.. post the engine number

but.. you bought a car without knowing anything about it?

I know there were some R33's that came with boat anchor NA single cam RB20's, I thought the base model engine in an R34 was RB25.

Engine no. is rb20237187b

Which would seem it would be an rb20, but i thought id post this anyway just in the hope that i was wrong... And like i said, i was told it was an rb25, personaly i thought they mainly came in rb25's. Had road worthy done, racq check, no where did it say on it or anything, didnt concern me at the time. Was only bought for $13500, which for an r34...damn cheap. And all this wouldnt be a problem accept...he said it was a 2.5L on carsales, which would be false advertising.

Heres the link if you wanna see for your selfs.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/priva...amp;Make=NISSAN

Edited by Darkplague

Arnt they R33 wheels?

Yeah they are, pretty dodgy, ill be replacing them rather soon so i dont really mind.

The guy i bought it off reakoned he bought it like that.

Edited by Darkplague

You sir have purchased a R34 GT which accommodates a RB20DE NEO (GT - 2.0 L RB20DE NEO I6, 155 ps (114 kW))

I too used to be under the impression that the RB25 was the minimum capacity for the R34, but I was wrong. Read the wiki, it tells you about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline

And yes nizmo man, they are reported to be the most economical RB ever made.

WTF. i could have bet my testicles in certainty that the r34 never came out with the rb20. thank god i found this little piece of info.

now time to start a convo with my mates and wage a few $$$

btw for the miss-advertising u can take it up with him and see if u can negotiate a price difference of some sort since its misleading statements.

Edited by philta

don't buy cheapies

Thats fair enough mate but...there was nothing wrong with it, exterior was fine, interior was fine, mechanicly it was fine. Theres nothing wrong with it, but its not what was advertised which is what im trying to explain. Even if it i bought it for 19 thousand, theres still the chance of the same thing happening.

Ill get a picture up soon, camera decided not to save the picture and now im at work.

You might want to look into that. I've heard that R34s with an RB20 engine aren't able to be complied and registered in Australia. I'm not sure exactly why though, so it could be bollocks. Though that explains why you never ever see them here.

mate.. he did not do any false advertising.

that thing is so uncommon that carsales doesn't have an auto option of R34 GT and 2.0L.

those fields are auto fields from carsales.. you just have to pick on.

he SHOULD have said this is a 2L RB20DE in the body of the ad, but he doesn't have to.

Anyway, you got a $13K R34.

for $7K you could get an RB25neo in there and upgrade the brakes.

so you are then up to a cheap R34 GTT price range.

[quote

for $7K you could get an RB25neo in there and upgrade the brakes.

And a stronger gearbox, not the poor old FS5W71C from back in R32 days.

Seller didn't show much integrity when using the standard Carsales defaults.

You can always write a story in the Comment section, explaining that the engine is actually an Rb20, not an Rb25.

post-13483-1224117850_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info guys, ive never had to sell a car, so i didnt know how carsales work, but like you said GTST should of said it in the comments. And it was only $13500, so cant expect to much from it.

But whats this about not being able to register in australia? It was registered in Tasmania but i dont know if you count that?

(Im not trying to be a jerk i seriously dont know)

You sir have purchased a R34 GT which accommodates a RB20DE NEO (GT - 2.0 L RB20DE NEO I6, 155 ps (114 kW))

I too used to be under the impression that the RB25 was the minimum capacity for the R34, but I was wrong. Read the wiki, it tells you about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Skyline

And yes nizmo man, they are reported to be the most economical RB ever made.

Yeah damn... Your right, I too never thought the R34 came out with a RB20DE.

Yeh sadly the R32,33 and 34 got given RB20s in some models!

Enjoy the fuel bills. But not the performance :(

Thats abit rough that you didnt get what you were hoping. Did you only notice the 2000 on the engine after you bought it?

Buyer beware I guess, research into anything thats gonna cost you a fair bit of dosh!