SAU Community

A Habit Ive Picked Up...

br3ndan

Hey guys,

So ever since i got my skyline ive gotten into the habit.

When i turn on my car.. ill turn the key two times and wait until my air bag light turns off (about7 seconds) before i turn it one more time to turn on the car.

My thinking is that it gives the car ecu time to load as well as time for the fuel pump to prime.

Now what im wondering is... i am wasting my time ? is there any side effect of me just turning on the car straight away? Or am i doing the right thing?

Cheers guys,

Brendan

I do it too mate; all good.

I kinda like popping the bonnet while the engine warms up so i can listen for any strange noises before i take off; another habbit.

We all have them; like our little OCD

Hey guys,

When i turn on my car.. ill turn the key two times and wait until my air bag light turns off (about7 seconds) before i turn it one more time to turn on the car.

My thinking is that it gives the car ecu time to load as well as time for the fuel pump to prime.

Now what im wondering is... i am wasting my time ? is there any side effect of me just turning on the car straight away? Or am i doing the right thing?

Cheers guys,

Brendan

Hehe - I do the exact same thing - but only from cold (if i know i haven't used the car for hours).

i always let the pump prime, then crank/start.

the fuel system will hold residual pressure for a couple of hours if the checkvalve in the pump is good, so no real need to prime again if the car has only been off for a short period, it should fire straight away.

never been told about this before but i always turn accesories on for a few seconds before cranking it over, stock fuel pump but i can hear things swithcng on before i crank it..... stock or not theres no harm in having everything set up for a couple of seconds before the power is drawn to the coils and what have youfor the task that drains the battery pretty quickly for a start

I can hear my stock fuel pump clear as day (even whilst driving ) but only cuz the rear seat is out and the boot is stripped. When its all in its a lot lot quieter but can hear it on the very initial start up even when everything is actually in the car. I just give it say 2 seconds of key before i start. Never had a problem.

Luke

thanks for all the replys!

what i meant by turning the key twice is that you got two stages before the car starts cranking. The first i beleive is acc. then the next one is on, the third cranks the car.

i usually switch it to on, and wait for fuel pump to prime etc, before turning on the car.

looks like ive been wasting my time!! haha.. but some habits are hard to break eh.

I have something similar - I click my fingers a few times before I open the toilet door to go to the mens room at work.....

Hey guys,

Cheers guys,

Brendan