SAU Community

Single Turbo Upgrade To ~300awkw

I've been doing a bit of research on twin turbo upgrades on the RB26, but now decided to go single. :)

So I'm just wondering what is the most cost effective (also reliable) way to go about it and how much roughly it is going to cost.

Aim is around 300awkw since the engine is still stock and only has cat back, ebc, new nismo fuel pump.

So I assume I still need the following.

- Turbo (which one?) Garrett equivalent of HKS and alike

- Manifold (which one?) and is there such a thing as a single low mount for the rb26?

- Dump and front pipe (which one) + high flow cat

- Nismo 740cc (I like a bit of headroom)

- Power FC

- Cam and Cam gear? (is it ideal to upgrade it?)

- External gate? (do I need it?)

- Other bits (turbo bag, heat wrap...etc)

Thanks guys

Rob why would you do that over a twin system for that amount of output. Just to change the manifolds, oil and water lines, exhaust, external waste gate going to cost a lot more than 2 replacement garrets or such.

You could just bolt on some 2860-5, Power FC, adjustable cam gears, decent tune and you will make that number or get close with a stock engine. Then again i am sure you have your reasons and if you have the cash mate fill ya boots.

theoretically... 2 twins will spool quicker than a large single of same power...

thats just physics.. but that doesnt mean that big singles r ghey...

if u want a single, go nuts man :) 300awkw only?? GT35R will do it sleeping

Im thinking along the same lines as you mate; clean and simple to work on etc

str8180 or something; he's a member has an r32 gtr with a 3540 and making over 300awkw, hes described the response as almost stock which is a very good thing.

but i think he has a custom exhaust housing .72 ???

theoretically... 2 twins will spool quicker than a large single of same power...

thats just physics.. but that doesnt mean that big singles r ghey...

I think that the two twins spooling faster (depending on the circumstances) is a bit of a farce but with stock upgrades I reckon it has an element of truth.

If you really want a big single, a .82a/r GT3582R would probably be the most logical. They will break 300kw without thinking about it and will give you a lot of headroom for going further.

N1 block or not.. it will be fine with 300awkw

mines not an n1 block and im chasing way more then that without any problems.. its all in the prep work :P

And that deal with twins spoolin faster is true. its physics.

2 smaller masses is easier to spool than 1 larger mass. needs less energy to turn them. but like i said, that doesnt mean u cant get a single to go just as good as twins

they both have pros n cons.

N1 block or not.. it will be fine with 300awkw

mines not an n1 block and im chasing way more then that without any problems.. its all in the prep work :P

And that deal with twins spoolin faster is true. its physics.

2 smaller masses is easier to spool than 1 larger mass. needs less energy to turn them. but like i said, that doesnt mean u cant get a single to go just as good as twins

they both have pros n cons.

wrong, stock blocks are known to split with around 300rwkw... want proof? i have one at home

yours also wrong in regards to the twins, it has been shown that even a t04z well set up will have less lagg than garrett replacement twins...

if 300rwkw is your goal i suggest a garrett 3076r or 3082r with a 0.8ish bum on a 6-boost manifold

need proof?? dude ive got a stock block...

made 300awkw no problems which more power than what urs made...

plus theres plenty more out there makin tons more

as for proof on twins.. its physics.. so unless u can break the laws of physics which u cant, then stfu

as for proof on twins.. its physics.. so unless u can break the laws of physics which u cant, then stfu

Can you outline which laws of physics dictate that two masses can spin up faster than one for us a bit challenged on that front if you are going to be so abrasive about it?

Im thinking along the same lines as you mate; clean and simple to work on etc

str8180 or something; he's a member has an r32 gtr with a 3540 and making over 300awkw, hes described the response as almost stock which is a very good thing.

but i think he has a custom exhaust housing .72 ???

Str8e180 had a twin scroll .78 ATP housing on his GT35 with one of his own divided manifolds. From memory it ended spitting out around 380rwkw.

I think one of the main reasons behind not many people going the smallish/mid single when aiming for 300-350kw is that it is so easily done with twins. That being said, a single pumping out those figures would be awesome, it would more efficient than twins, and that is not physics its fluid dynamics and heat transfer!

I want someone to do it already so they can be a test mule for others.

Mike

I think one of the main reasons behind not many people going the smallish/mid single when aiming for 300-350kw is that it is so easily done with twins. That being said, a single pumping out those figures would be awesome, it would more efficient than twins, and that is not physics its fluid dynamics and heat transfer!

YES!!! :laugh:

I want someone to do it already so they can be a test mule for others.

Heaps of people have done this kind of thing. Supras and "GTS" Skylines have been doing it with success for years, its the first things lots of Supra guys go for first.

IE, Typical cheap Supra mods = make turbos non sequential (like GTRS), they end up more laggy but make more power. Put a GT3582R on there and make even more power with the same or less lag...

Yeah, I would love to see it set up sweet on a GTR though. In the states ATP and Full-race do split pulse housings for the GT30 series of turbines, I am pretty sure. Definately interesting and a great option in my opinion.

Mike

Power delivery of twins is just that little bit more progressive.

Response once up - response is going from zero throttle to all throttle on corner exit.

Why.. The turbo's sit closer to the ports and good old inertia. Its simply easier to start spinning a smaller wheel than it is a larger one.

At a higher rpm where there's no lack of exhaust gas throttle response on corner exit etc is improved as the turbo's are easier to start spinning/moving.. :laugh:

Mr Lith.. The reason supra guys go for big singles is its cheaper and easier to package than a pair of monster twins that are 450+rwkw capable.

---

Up to 350-400rwkw a pair of twins is far easier. :sick:

Power delivery of twins is just that little bit more progressive.

Response once up - response is going from zero throttle to all throttle on corner exit.

Why.. The turbo's sit closer to the ports and good old inertia. Its simply easier to start spinning a smaller wheel than it is a larger one.

At a higher rpm where there's no lack of exhaust gas throttle response on corner exit etc is improved as the turbo's are easier to start spinning/moving.. :laugh:

Mr Lith.. The reason supra guys go for big singles is its cheaper and easier to package than a pair of monster twins that are 450+rwkw capable.

---

Up to 350-400rwkw a pair of twins is far easier. :sick:

Easier, maybe. Not to work on that is for sure. But, cheaper, definitely! Everyone loves stuff that is cheap and good, I know I do.

Don't forget, you are spinning a smaller wheel yes, but, with only 3 cylinders.

Mike

Ahh yes 3cylinders. From what I've seen parallel twins tend to make their peak boost just that bit later than a similar sized big single. i.e GT30r .7a/r rear on an rb25 to a pair of GT2510's on a 26.

Up in the higher rpm's where the lack of exhaust gas is not an issue it all comes down to the intertia/weight of the wheels ability to accelerate faster.

:laugh: