SAU Community

My09 Wrx Back To Normal

Kujotk

I'm not much of a rexy fan but i still know they are pretty good cars.... anyway there was a thread on here before that i started about how ugly the current rexy looks.... well it looks like Subaru listend to the cries of its fans and has confirmed a new and improved wrx is in production for 2009.

Subaru MY09 WRX gets a thumping 195kw!

2009-wrx-3.jpg

When the bug-eye WRX was launched by Subaru in 2000, there was a hushed silence and it was widely decreed by the press after a few test drives that whilst the new model was a nicer drive, more refined and had much improved handling, it had lost the spark and thrill of the outgoing MY00 "classic" model. In short, some thought that Subaru was losing the plot somewhat. The facelifted MY03 and new 2.5L MY06 showed that Subaru was listening.

Then came the MY08 WRX and the press reviews were even less inspiring that those about 'ole bug-eye. Recently coming last in its category in the 2008 Motor BFYB competition, the MY08 WRX was even declared by someto be unworthy of the WRX name. Subaru wasn't losing the plot, it had lost the plot.

Today, at Sydney's Motor Show, Subaru have once again shown they were listening with the announcement of the revamped MY09 WRX. There have been rumours for a few weeks, and last week we got inside knowledge that the MY09 was going to get a serious dose of steroids, and now here it is. Get this - 195kw (up 26kw), 343Nm of torque (up 23Nm), upgraded suspension, and wider tyres (225/45x17, versus 205/50) all point to a much more serious WRX. Indeed, the MY09 WRX has as much power as the MY02-05 STi, and is lighter too! We can't wait to get our hands on it.

sorry just found the info now, i know its 2 weeks late lol

im sure itsbetter than the current model and has bigger power to try and save the wrx name

saw the n/a version on the fwy the other day - didnt look special to me. Reminded me of a kia rio. Maybe the rex would do something for me.

I agree, totally not impressed. My friend, thats a mechanic for Subaru, reckons the wrx is just as shit.

I think they committed suicide with that design; the wrx was always popular because of its classic shape. They screwed it up with the bug eyes and just when they finally got the front just right......they screw it up again.

the evo is fantastic though; right through since the gsr range

its just the sedan version of the 08 model. The americans had the sedan released alot earlier then us (obviously as is normally the trend), they may very well be classifying it as the 09 model. But as i said it is basically the sedan version of the 08, because they had always planned to have the sedan and hatch versions

saw the n/a version on the fwy the other day - didnt look special to me. Reminded me of a kia rio. Maybe the rex would do something for me.

+1 it reminded me of a kia rio too... they've still lost the plot imo. sack the designers for producing a fugly shape!!

actually there are many

Audi A4 B8, Audi A5, VW R32, BMW 5 series with M kits,w204 c class with AMG kits, BMW e92 coupe. that's all in my mind at the moment.

btw the evo X is not that bad either

Edited by EKSMUD

i'm very biased as a evo fan and i always try to find faults with the impreza's even though i do admit that they are nice cars but it is trye that they are lacking in the exterior design department. I have no idea why they haven't stayed with one design theme for example mazda/bmw/honda but thats probably just cause all their designs were shit LoL.

On the other hand a standard 195kw is massive. hopefully the new ralliart lancer can stand up to it. The evo X with the 217kw does have a bit over the sti though.

• 1 month later...