SAU Community

Have You Noticed

66yostagea

Of all the vehicles I have worked on in my (long or short) life, if you drop a nut washer bolt or bit, Murphey's law will say you will never find it again. Sorta like dropping a piece of bred and jam, it will fall jam down. There are more hidey holes in a Stags front end than the Berlin Wall.

My old man works on the occasional car, and he's lost a few sockets while working, usually while trying to access a nut or bolt that's either a. impossible to see but easy to reach, or b. impossible to reach but easy to see.

i dropped my brand new 12mm king tony ratchet ring spanner(21st present) while changing the wastegate actuator and it took me 3 hours to find . invloved all under trays off, wheel off . gaurd liner off . lots of swearing . it was inside the chassis rail that slopes down from the front to where the lower controll arm bolts on

I think I have finally got the Stag back together to a point where I wont have too much more dropsy. Manni, turbo and the oil/water lines are all on.

There is one bolt I cant get back in. It held a bracket that locked a water cooling line down at the rear of the P/S of the block. I hope that it is not tapped into an oil gallery. Does anyone know of this miscreant?

nuts/bolts always seem to fall into the ROV's I work on at work, generally have to be pulled apart to find it. Lots of electronics and lots of chances for electrical shorts, especially when the vehicle can move in any direction, pitch, roll, yaw etc.

Can't use a magnet because all nuts bolts are stainless.

I think I have finally got the Stag back together to a point where I wont have too much more dropsy. Manni, turbo and the oil/water lines are all on.

There is one bolt I cant get back in. It held a bracket that locked a water cooling line down at the rear of the P/S of the block. I hope that it is not tapped into an oil gallery. Does anyone know of this miscreant?

Pretty sure I know the one you mean; when I took my turbo off mine was loose and no sign of oil/water leaks... you might be alright. Should be reasonably easy to access by feel though...