SAU Community

Blow Off In Stock R33 Gts-t

MilkShake

Hi guys

I'm new to turbo car and I just got a 33 GTS-T

Does a stock R33 GTS-T have blow off installed from factory ?

Must all turbo cars have blow off valve installed ?

cuz I've never heard the blow off sound from my GTS-T

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm really new to turbocharging. Got not much idea about it

Hi guys

I'm new to turbo car and I just got a 33 GTS-T

Does a stock R33 GTS-T have blow off installed from factory ?

Must all turbo cars have blow off valve installed ?

cuz I've never heard the blow off sound from my GTS-T

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm really new to turbocharging. Got not much idea about it

welcome to sau.

All skyline turbo's came with a factory blow off valve.

Due to the law, the air released from the bov is put back into the system and not vented out into the air.

Aftermarket blow off valves vent the pressurized air into the atmosphere making a louder noise. (These blow off valves are illegal for road use and have known to cause idle problems)

However the factory blow off valve is loud enough to hear if you have removed your standard air box and replaced with a pod filter.

Circled in red if the factory blow off valve on a r33 i think.

bov33ug7.jpg

Hey there dude dont feel stupid for asking questions thats why everyone is on this forum site. I am also new to skylines not RB motors but skylines i also have a r33 and i have placed pictures for you .

bov33ug7.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^STANDARD AIR BOX WITH COLD AIR INTAKE (CAI) INCLUDES FILTER INSIDE MODIFY THIS WITH A K&N HIGH FLOW FILTER

RAMPOD.jpg

OR PUT A RAM POD FILTER ON IT ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

cheers rob

Welcome......and it sounds like you've got some reading to do :P

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sk...ne-t113261.html

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fo...ick-t66556.html

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fa...nce-t35442.html

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Li...als-t35048.html

These links hold valuable information. Browse through them and take some time to read them. You'll find many interesting topics and they will help broaden your knowledge about your car.

Super happy fun times :)

• Like 1

Thanks for accepting me hehe

I will do the reading yea =)

so basically just replace the stock air intake with aftermarket filer (any?) and I will be able to hear the stock BoV sound right ?

oh and can someone confirm me that the aftermarket BoV is illegal ? what could be a problem from it ?

Thanks again guys

I'm sure you will see my stupid questions again in the very near future cuz it could be really stupid that the links posted above don't have the answers

- -"

probably best to stick with stock for now.

but a small breakdown of bovs are:

atmospheric- completly illegal, emit the air that is meant to be recercuilated back into the system straight out to the world.... the are the loudest and if your car isnt tuned, can cause issues

plumb back - ones like in the pictures above. these are bovs that do send the air back into the system, it is what a stock bov is but you can also get aftermarket plumb back models.

you can also get bovs that emit half atmospheric/ half plumb back

Honestly, its hard to say what is legal/illegal apart from standard parts, because it depends entirely on the cop who pulls you up if he doesnt like your aftermarket bov, even if it is plumb back...epecially considering they are cracking down on "hoons" these days...

so the only thing you can be sure of is that your standard bov will be fine.

Hope this helps,

Adam

If you get a pod filter just don't get an oil one. if you put too much oil on it, it can dirty your AFM. just get a dry pod. Apexi, K&N take your pic...

Pretty sure all K&N filters are oiled, mine sure is.

Cars that are untuned have issues with atmo bov's not aftermarket plumb backs, they are fine.

Keep the stock bov mate, or buy a new one and leave the stock one in the garage for later just in case.

And if your going to get a pod filter then i also recommend keeping your stock air box in case you want to go back to being silent, trust me, i did.

Thanks for the comment

I still wanna know why untuned cars have prob with atmospheric bovs ?

Aftermarket plumb back bovs also give no sound right ?

If just changning the air filter make the stock bov sounds, I might consider doing that

cuz I just wanna have a bov sound :D

Untuned cars have problems with atmospheric blow offs because the amount air which is sucked into the engine through the filter and passed the air flow meter (measures quantity of air being drawn into the engine) is used in the calculations the computer makes to ensure the correct mix of fuel and air is sent into the combustion chambers. When the blow off valve releases some of that measured air into the atmosphere the engine thinks it has more air than it acutally does and ends up running rich and basically like a dog becuase it has put the correct amount of fuel in for the measured air quantity. Basically your engine will not like you if you install an atmosperic blow off on a standard untuned car.

Greetings and welcome to SAU!

buy a boost controller and ramp it up to 13 psi, then it will be louder :unsure:

Dont bother replacing your blow off valve, its just a total waste of money. The stock one performs great. Save the cash for go-fast mods :(

If your going to buy a pod filter, dont bother spending big bucks on one, any cheap one will do, as a lot of the brands use the same filter element. So your basically just paying for the brand name. Just make sure its a dry filter not an oiled filter. Mine cost 30 bucks and works like a dream. Like has been said, oil from the oiled filter variety can enter the air flow meter and cause all kinds of extremely annoying problems.

if you install a pod filter, you will also need to enclose it fully as its illegal to have one un enclosed. You can either bend one up yourself out of some galvanised or aluminium sheet, or buy a plastic ready made one off ebay.