SAU Community

Got Yellow Stickered.

Haunter

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When they asked you to turn the car off you should've just turned the turbo timer off discretely and not mentioned it.

1) You weren't able to comply with the officers demands straight-away. They don't like waiting, why do you think they drink coffee and donuts? No wait.

2) You alerted the cop to an ilegal modification which is kinda like giving a kid in a candy shop a taste of sugar.

There's no fool proof way of getting off everytime, no matter how innocent or nice you are to them. Driving a Skyline is a form of gambling.

As far as im aware turbo timers are NOT illegal, ill get confirmation on this and get back to you. Im 90% sure its illegal to leave your car running and walk away from it but the turbo timer itself is not illegal to be installed in your car as long as your sitting in it waiting for it to turn off.

Ill ring a pit inspector that i know and get back to you on this.

WA cops are useless half of them drive shit boxes them selves, and dont even no what there looking at half the time when they pull you over. they should change the laws to like TAS (my home state NO JOKES PLEASE) were the police aernt legally allowed to sticker your car, only the transport drivers can cause most of the stuff we do to our cars these days you dont need a permit for them, plus they dont take the chance sending you to the pits because they can tell you on the spot what you need done. no fees

that way. but if your driving a shit box they will take your keys, but they give you a lift home instead of making you walk.

^ calm down mate, to say that WA cops are useless is a stupid thing to say, and to say they drive shitboxes is another stupid thing to say...

they're just doing their job most of the time, sometimes you get a bad one out of the bunch... this guy is just getting tips on how to deal with it that's all man

So I just got a yellow sticker just off Cambridge st while I was on my way to pick up some takeaway Sienna's. Three cops were in the car and they drove past going the opposite direction, i drove past them noramlly and they immediately turned around and put on the siren's (I was doing anything out of the norm).

I pulled over on to a offstreet just before lake monger and they all get out and come to my window and tell me to turn the engine off. First thing I said is "It's got a turbotimer, It wont turn of straight away." He shot back immediately "Have you got permit's for the turbo timer? Or for the turbo? pop the hood, I want to see what else you haven't got permits for." At this point I realise I'm most probably f**ked. I didn't have permit's for anything and was using the excuse, "Nah, I didn't get any with the car and wasn't 100% sure what I needed them for."

So as I open the bonnet he ask's if i have permit's for the blow off valve etc. etc. Then he asks if I have anything that I haven't told them about in the car and ask's whether or not I have the "green shit"(he actually said that, I laughed and said no) or any weapons etc. "Nah man, All clean... Was just on my way to pick up some dinner". The guy that wrote out the ticket was obviously a rookie because the main cop asking the questions had to tell him how to do everything, I got to be the cops training exercise. Fantastic.

HERES THE INTERESTING PART: He said to me that the Police have been instructed to go after the modified 'rice burners' because they are most likely to be hoon and reckless drivers. I asked well what about falcodore's and that type, he replies "Oh anything 'hoon looking' with a P really"

He also asked whether or not I had seen the new R35 GT-R's.... He seemed like he was into cars but he had to give me the stickers to show the other cops just how to do it. Maybe if he was on his own he wouldn't have.

Pretty cut. But lesson learnt.

Least he didn't see my non-cat exhaust :)

Oh dude that has to suck man i had the same thing with me but no yellow they done a u turn and pulled me up. then 3 more police cars came and said are u ok? and i was there for a good 20 minutes

I got pulled over the other day (around the corner from the OP)

Got out of my car, breathalysed, license check, answered a few questions, cops said have a nice night and left.

As they were leaving I thanked them for being cool and said it makes a difference. Both them and I knew they could have given me a yellow sticker for any random reason, but they didn't.

Kinda made my week, I feel all warm and fuzzy now :)

I must admit, I'm kinda scared of police.

Mostly cause they are dicks who get away with being power trippers...

yellows stickers, demerits, fines.... 3 of em shooting you... :)

I had a prick cop draw his gun on me once when I knocked on the cop shop door... I just wanted him to call the RAC for me, lol

Confirmed, Turbo timers are NOT illegal.

Walking away from your car whilst its still running IS illegal, it's something like 5 metres.

Bit of a loophole really but hey whatever.

On a side note unfortunately alot of cops really dont know what they are looking at and the person who i rang to confirm this whinges about it all the time, alot of cars go through that are perfectly legal but unfortunately theres not much we can do about it. Just try not to piss off the cop and if possible know about your mods and the legalities behind them so you can explain it to the officer. If he yellows you anyway then thats unfortunate but its better than him asking you about it and you just shrugging.

N.B. My brothers in the police academy and he knows nothing about cars, his sargeants that he works with also know nothing about cars but seem so convinced they are right, unfortunately i'd say 80% of regular cops dont know enough about it.

As ive said in previous topics about this, i think it has alot to do with your driving attitude..

In my years of driving (only 4 and a half) ive only been pulled over twice. (Once for my illegal HID in my V8 ute and once for apparent hooning in my v8 ute) Both times i did not get a yellow sticker.

In my skyline which i have been driving for little bit over one year ive never been pulled over by the police. Which i think a major contributing factor to this is that i rarely speed or do any illegal activies on the road.

Sure your some of us will just get plain unlucky @ times. But drive under the radar and most of the time u wont attract attention.

I used to get pulled over ALOT but that was when i was on my p's.

Since then i dont get pulled over as much and i wouldnt call myself a hoon but I drive a little spiritedly at times. (Note. i rarely go over the speed limit i just dont slow down that much for corners.)

I think it has more to do with when and where you drive the car though as i used to get pulled over alot on friday nights, stopped at every booze bus i ever went through then asked to pull over while they look at the car.

I think this topic has really been done to death though on pretty much every car forum ever, its really quite simple, turn off the music, lose the attitude, go along with whatever they want, know whats legal and illegal on your car, take whatever they give you on the chin and be prepared for it to happen again as you are driving an import.

Work orders are there to allow the cops to issue notices for 'suspected' defects. The point is the cop doesn't need any knowledge of motor vehicles that's why the work order is there so that you have to get it checked out by someone who does.

My brother and brother-in-law are cops and they say they can yellow sticker a brand new car if they wanted to, but most cops aren't that bad. My brother-in-law is a car nut and he gives canary's out to cars with illegal mods only (and commodore drivers :)). He's pulled over half the cars in the local car magazines because he reads them and knows what they've got :D

Being a lawyer we have a few slanging matches about the merits of each other's professions :)