SAU Community

New Clutch For R34 Gt-r

Hi all,

My car is an R34 GT-R (it is my daily driver) and I am at the stage where I need a new clutch. The mods I have thus far is a blitz nur cat back exhaust system, HKS metal cat, and Apexi air pods. I plan to upgrade turbos, cams, ecu, boost controller and necassery support systems etc later this year. Hoping for around the 300-350 kw @ the wheels mark.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me and give me some advice on which clutch I should go for at this stage. I was thinking of getting a brand new standard R34 GT-R clutch from Nissan but am wondering if it will handle the power that I hope to achieve after the other mods I intend on doing. Also, if the cost of a standard R34 GT-R clutch is similar in price to an aftermarket one, then I thought I might as well upgrade. Although I also dont want to get a clutch thats too hard to drive.

One aftermarket clutch that comes to mind is the ORC single plate clutch 409 series. Supports up to 400PS? What are your thoughts on this particular clutch? ie - hard to drive, bites hard etc?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

I don't think a Nissan clutch designed for say 220RWKW (yes I know it can take more) will survive when you get your new turbo's :(

I'm personally using a rebuilt Nismo pre-super coppermix twin plate, its fairly nice to drive (for a twin plate).

There are two clutch shops that are well known to build clutches if you want to go down that path due to the yen exchange price (japanese parts cost $$$ at the moment), NPC and Jim Berry, NPC rebuilt my clutch and did a great job for a very reasonable price.

A lot of people on the forum love the Nismo SuperCopper mix twin plate, you need to search!

You would need to get a heavy duty with that power, twin plate if you are going to launch it.

I have an ORC twin plate in my car and I love it.

I don't see what all the fuss about twin plates being hard to drive, I have not stalled it once since I got it and learnt to

drive it within 10 minutes no dramas! I'm suprised at how much people whinge about them...

You would need to get a heavy duty with that power, twin plate if you are going to launch it.

I have an ORC twin plate in my car and I love it.

I don't see what all the fuss about twin plates being hard to drive, I have not stalled it once since I got it and learnt to

drive it within 10 minutes no dramas! I'm suprised at how much people whinge about them...

So how would you compare the ORC twin plate to your stock clutch pedal feeling? Is it just a slightly harder pedal/bites a little bit more??? Or no difference at all?

Also, how does the ORC twin stack up against the Nismo Super Copper mix one? Better in terms of driveabillity/price???

Edited by xanavinismo

So how would you compare the ORC twin plate to your stock clutch pedal feeling? Is it just a slightly harder pedal/bites a little bit more??? Or no difference at all?

Also, how does the ORC twin stack up against the Nismo Super Copper mix one? Better in terms of driveabillity/price???

Hmm well I never drove my GTR with a stock clutch.

I went from Exedy brass button single to twin ORC. Honestly, it is slightly harder and a bit jumpy on the release, but I got used to it pretty quickly and find it easy to drive....

I haven't driven a Nismo clutch but I have heard they are easier to drive (for those who struggle with twin plates usually)

Either way, with the plans you have a twin plate would be the go regardless....

I went from standard clutch to Nismo twin plate and it is the best (never driven any other twin plate so i cant compare). Stalled it at first go but once i got use it, i havent stalled it since. Is a little bit noisey but that doesnt matter too much. Only bad side is slow crawling traffic the clutch wants to launch the car and it gets pretty tiresome when your constantly trying to hold back something that wants to be unleashed..

I went from standard clutch to Nismo twin plate and it is the best (never driven any other twin plate so i cant compare). Stalled it at first go but once i got use it, i havent stalled it since. Is a little bit noisey but that doesnt matter too much. Only bad side is slow crawling traffic the clutch wants to launch the car and it gets pretty tiresome when your constantly trying to hold back something that wants to be unleashed..

Thanks for your reply. I do have some follow up questions:

1) How long have you had the NISMO twin plate clutch for? I ask this because I am wondering approx. how long this particular clutch lasts? (Obviously depending on driving..)

2) Did you have to replace anything else when you swapped over to the nismo clutch? ie - thrust bearings, pivot forks etc???

3) So your nismo clutch does allow a little bit of slip? ie - not like your either on or off?

4) Is the pedal feeling a lot heavier than stock?

5) If you were to sum it up, would you say that the nismo twin plate is easy to drive?

6) Finally would you recomend getting the NISMO big operating slave cylinder?

Edited by xanavinismo

hey there R33 GTR

ive just had a HKS twinplate installed, real easy to drive, has a little shudder from lightweight flywheel, but all good, traffic stop-starts a breeze, big hill starts all good too, not really heavy either.

a wee bit of a rattle from plates, but who cares?

my girlfriend jumped in and drove it sweet too....

great clutch if you want to to some hi rev launches

cheers

Edited by donkey

hey there R33 GTR

ive just had a HKS twinplate installed, real easy to drive, has a little shudder from lightweight flywheel, but all good, traffic stop-starts a breeze, big hill starts all good too, not really heavy either.

a wee bit of a rattle from plates, but who cares?

my girlfriend jumped in and drove it sweet too....

great clutch if you want to to some hi rev launches

cheers

Is your clutch the GD Max or GD Pro? Also, if you dont mind me asking how much did it set you back?

So I got a bit of a decision to make... HKS GD Max twin plate or the Nismo Super Copper Mix.

I have heard good things for both clutches. But it seems the Hks twins are cheaper?

So on an R34 GT-R, which one would you guys recomend? Are the Nismo twins easier to drive than the Hks?

Edited by xanavinismo

I got an Ogura twin plate in my GTR. It's very bitey and I can almost guarantee that anyone jumping into the car will stall it. It's very bitey however I've grown to love it and I can drive it anywhere without stalling/take off at lights etc. all fine.

You get used to it eventually, it's got a tiny bit of slip but it's not easy to use for a first timer. No matter the clutch you'll probably get used to it... And who doesn't love the rattle of a twin plate :P

Take it you've still got a standard gearset... I dunno how harsh the Nismo clutches are but my clutch if dumped hard enough feels like it will smash a standard set into the back seat lol. It's something to bear in mind, if you're clutch is harsh won't be long until the gearset needs replacing either.

EDIT: It's also interesting once you've adjusted to a twin plate getting behind the wheel of something with a regular clutch.

the super coppermix nismo twin is more drivable than the HKS clutch. get the nismo. it's a top shelf clutch. very easy to drive and holds decent power.

I take it you have had experience with both??

If I am to go with the Nismo twins, do I have to replace anything else? ie - Release fork, pin, thrust bearing etc?

Also, do the rebuild kits for the Nismo clutches come at a good price?

I take it you have had experience with both??

If I am to go with the Nismo twins, do I have to replace anything else? ie - Release fork, pin, thrust bearing etc?

Also, do the rebuild kits for the Nismo clutches come at a good price?

I have one on my R33 GTR. The thrust bearing you can use the standard one. Pin and release fork im 99% sure they are the stock items.....

I also run the Nismo slave. I dont know how much difference there would be between the stock and nismo slave cyl's....

My car is an R34 GT-R (it is my daily driver) and I am at the stage where I need a new clutch. The mods I have thus far is a blitz nur cat back exhaust system, HKS metal cat, and Apexi air pods. I plan to upgrade turbos, cams, ecu, boost controller and necassery support systems etc later this year. Hoping for around the 300-350 kw @ the wheels mark.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me and give me some advice on which clutch I should go for at this stage. I was thinking of getting a brand new standard R34 GT-R clutch from Nissan but am wondering if it will handle the power that I hope to achieve after the other mods I intend on doing. Also, if the cost of a standard R34 GT-R clutch is similar in price to an aftermarket one, then I thought I might as well upgrade. Although I also dont want to get a clutch thats too hard to drive.

One aftermarket clutch that comes to mind is the ORC single plate clutch 409 series. Supports up to 400PS? What are your thoughts on this particular clutch? ie - hard to drive, bites hard etc?

Dont bother with the Japanese junk doesn't matter what you get they are not as good as the aussie ones, Get a NPC twin plate I have got a GTR R34 and a GTR R32 both with PPG gearboxes and the NPC twin plate, the R32 has done hundred of 6000 rpm launches and has been in the car for 3 years does not even look like wearing out, remember that if you have got too much diaphram pressure every time you are pushing in the clutch your trying to push the crankshaft thru the front of the car..

Give CNJ Motorsport a ring in Brisbane and speak to then about their custom built NPC clutches. cost approx $2500 for the complete unit all billet alloy hat and can specify a lighter flywheel. You will have to change to a Push/pull conversion.

Another vote for the nismo, I've been in an evo with a exedy twin and didn't like it (too heavy),

another evo with some button clutch and the owner was proud nobody else could drive it. wtf.

in my r34 gtr the coppermix feels as I think stock felt in terms of pressure, or close to it. It does

rattle at idle a bit. Has a gradual enough bite so you don't sweat 3 point turns on a hill in traffic

but supposedly can handle 650hp.

I don't think a Nissan clutch designed for say 220RWKW (yes I know it can take more) will survive when you get your new turbo's :down:

I'm personally using a rebuilt Nismo pre-super coppermix twin plate, its fairly nice to drive (for a twin plate).

There are two clutch shops that are well known to build clutches if you want to go down that path due to the yen exchange price (japanese parts cost $$$ at the moment), NPC and Jim Berry, NPC rebuilt my clutch and did a great job for a very reasonable price.

A lot of people on the forum love the Nismo SuperCopper mix twin plate, you need to search!

I think I've got the same clutch. How much did it cost you to have it rebuilt? Mine is slipping like pig in mud.

Another vote for the nismo, I've been in an evo with a exedy twin and didn't like it (too heavy),

another evo with some button clutch and the owner was proud nobody else could drive it. wtf.

in my r34 gtr the coppermix feels as I think stock felt in terms of pressure, or close to it. It does

rattle at idle a bit. Has a gradual enough bite so you don't sweat 3 point turns on a hill in traffic

but supposedly can handle 650hp.

Do you have the bigger Nismo slave cylinder?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

hello, I might be able to help you out if you would be interested in a new/unused HKS Twin Plate. I bought it several years ago for extra parts in preparation should I decide to upgrade a GT-R BNR34. Staying with my GT-R BCNR33 for now, so the it is just collecting dust in a corner :D . let me know if you are interested as I am sure it will be a great deal for both of us. :D