SAU Community

Defected : Nardi Steering wheel

Guest Robo's

I just got defected for doing absolutely nothin. Generally i can talk my way around it, but got an absolute prik of a cop who i felt like !!!

1) Something about my steering wheel, no centre pad, whats the rule on this?? Its a NARDI.

2) Usual BOV, exhaust too low, etc

Steering wheel has got me buggered though. I thought the Brockies had momos with no centre pads??

from what I know regarding ADR rules and steering wheels. If u have an steering wheel with airbag the aftermarket one has to have an airbag as well.

The steering wheel can't have any sharp edges.

The steering wheel can't be too reflective.

Apart from that you should be right........as for the centre pad thing I've never heard of ADR rules regarding that.....maybe with it off it leaves a reflective surface??

When I got done for my steering wheel, the cop said "any change to a steering wheel is illegal" which I know to be crap, but arguing wouldn't have done me any good, so I wore it.

Those Momo wheels you speak of meet Australian Design Regulations, so they are legal.

Look in to a wheel that comes with ADR compliance, that's the safest way.

Doesn't help you now though, sorry.

OK, I have some information that might actually be useful. :D

ADR- Steering Columns.

Requires that steering wheel and column assemblies must collapse under specified forces to reduce injuries to drivers on impact and limits the horizontal intrusion of the steering column into the cabin.

blah blah blah........

For the purposes of Regulation 819 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999 the following modifications, which generally do not affect the vehicle's continued compliance with the Standards for Registration, are approved modifications.

# Any modification which does not adversely affect the structural integrity of the vehicle, its handling characteristics or its compliance with the relevant standards for registration.

# Equipment or accessories equivalent in quality, performance and safety to those fitted to the vehicle or supplied or recommended by the vehicle manufacturer as original equipment or accessories.

That last paragraph is the most important.

In a nutshell, you can change the steering wheel, but if the original one was padded, then the one you change it to needs to be padded.

If the factory wheel had an airbag, you can only change the wheel to one with an airbag in it.

~K

P.S, All this info can be found on the VicRoads website.

How much padding is in the original 93-4 wheel? I have a momo that the japanese owner put on and its black metal in the middle with the small horn button, no padding. kinda thing that would section your face off in a crash, but great for driving with.

Padding is all B.S. because the original factory wheel has no padding anyway. There is a rule about removing airbags, but airbags were optional on i believe up to the series2. So if you ask me its clearly an invalid defect. In fact, of all the cars i've driven EVER, I can recall none that have a padded centre!

Mine passed a RWC with my aftermarket steering wheel, in fact twice, once before i bought it, and when i got defected for other valid defect items (although only 1x out of the 3x listed were actually valid) i didn't have to get it changed.

When I got done for my steering wheel, the cop said "any change to a steering wheel is illegal" which I know to be crap, but arguing wouldn't have done me any good, so I wore it.

Sure if you have other illegal items, then its true there is not much you can do, because you were in the wrong. But if not take it to court. You shouldn't be putting money in the Government's pockets if you are not actually in the wrong. Its only by NOT saying anything when you are unfairly defected that the cops continue to do so with reckless abandon.

I got done for a BOV as well, so i have to take that off, (where can you get the plugs from) and hopefully i can raise the car enough to get some ground clearance without having to do anything to the exhaust.

Some advice:

is it a major or minor defect? major requires a RWC and to take it to vicroads, minor requires you to take it to vicroads only i think.

Steering wheel - get a factory one installed if you can, even if its just from a friend for the day.

Bov: Block it off with a flange plate out of steel, or borrow a friends. If its amto, its illegal, if its plubback, its legal regardless.

Ride height: Pump up your tyres TO THE MAX they can allow, even a bit more at the servo before the RWC/Vicroads. At Vicroads, they get a roller thing thats exactly 100mm high, and they roll it under your car to see if its hits anything. If it doesnt, its passed.

Yeah they rolled this thing under and it didnt fit, the exhaust is too low, hopefully i can raise it by my adjustable TEIN NR suspension. i will block up the BOV and bugger the steering wheel.

ive got a few major defects and you dont have to take it to vic roads, u can take it to any roadworthy tester and get a RWc for it and just present the RWC to vic roads, if they persist on seeing the car even if you show them the certificate (which has not happend to me) just say its at the mehanics becuase i aint allowed to drive it due to the defect and all should be fine, i wouldnt worry bout the steering wheel to much just fix the BOV and the height of your car and you should pass. and id advise you to go to a local roadworthy tester because they are useually more leaneant the vic roads

Cheers

HERE IS THE TRUTH FOR QLDer's:

I have both a Queensland Transport PDF file on vehicle modifications in Queensland and also have a copy of the current ADR CD-ROM.

The ADR's are very difficult to read and take a few re-reads to fully digest, but, here is what was said about steering wheels straight out of this PDF file:

QUOTE:

"Steering wheels fitted to vehicles manufacured after 1970, may only be replaced by a steering wheel which has been tested to comply with ADR 10A when fitted to that particular vehicle.

Vehicles originally fitted with a driver's side airbag must be fitted with a replacement steering wheel unless it is supplied by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that model.

The diameter of any replacement wheel may be up to 25mm smaller than the original wheel but must not be less than 350mm."

This is the reason why most wheels you see in shops around Australia, such as SAAS, Autotechnica, MOMO, Isotta, etc are all minimum 350mm in diameter. Also, this is the reason why for years i got away from being defected for having a sports steering wheel in my old Commodore (C'mon everyone had one, right?) by saying to the Police/Queensland Transport: "But the Brock Commodores and SS's had sports wheels as standard..."

They then withdrew their defect...

Also, although the authorities can't tell, it would be wise to fit a collapsable style boss kit for both your own safety and legality. I don't like the idea of a solid cast or machined boss on a street car.

I hope this has armed you with the real info to defend yourselves.