SAU Community

-7/9s Or -5s Garretts

Adz2332

I highly doubt it, or the Gibson 32 would have run a nice aftermarket 3.5 inch system instead of sidepipes.

Hehe :happy: The 34 with the same combo as mine minus cams made similar power and response too my old setup, 2 cars with near identical build, one witha side pipe and mine with a quiet 3inch exhaust! Both running same boost etc initially!

I highly doubt it, or the Gibson 32 would have run a nice aftermarket 3.5 inch system instead of sidepipes.

we are not talking about group A race cars mate but street cars, with standard (or very close to standard) capacity 26's with low mounts

and if you were to read correctly, at no point did I mention that the bigger the exhaust the less power - in fact I pretty much said the opposite.

That’s about 60% of the story. The other 40% is why carry around the weight of a full exhaust and mufflers. Why take up space around rear suspension and shafts where you want to run fuel cells and diff/trans coolers.

Why run the risk of a muffler collapsing and hurting power? So introduces need to life components and expense associated with it.

But generally I agree…because ultimately if running side pipes vs full length exhaust hurt power then they would have found a work around. Ultimately the gases before the turbos and immediately after then leave the turbing housing is where most of the battle is fought

Secondly if you are rebuilding your engine put performance cams in it and run -5s. Best all round setup for response and HP in a 26.

Everyone had previously recommended not to go with -5s on a 2.6.. Why do you recommend otherwise?

Secondly if you are rebuilding your engine put performance cams in it and run -5s. Best all round setup for response and HP in a 26.

Everyone had previously recommended not to go with -5s on a 2.6.. Why do you recommend otherwise?

Have you driven or been in a built, cammed 26 with -5s pushing around 400kws?

Define "performance cams"?

What ever the engine builder recommends for his build. I leave that to the RB masters. As long as the car does what I want it to do, the engine builder can put whatever Cam he wants. All I know is that with standard cams people say it's laggy, but personally I don't mind lag. He he he.

WAITING for aggressive boost is half the fun.

Each to their own, but I couldn't think of anything worse... Waiting for your engine to make some meaningful grunt while a better setup package blasts into the sunset!

I totally agree with you, the rush of boost is awesome!

Although, I sold my GTRS's as full boost was about 5.5krpm which was great for drag racing but not for street.

Having full boost @ 4krpm with -5s and poncams is my next setup...should be achievable :)

WAITING for aggressive boost is half the fun.

Each to their own, but I couldn't think of anything worse... Waiting for your engine to make some meaningful grunt while a better setup package blasts into the sunset!

Change gears

If your car is for street use...

-5's make its power towards the top end.

-5's on a stock RB26 would not be as responsive as a set of -7's / -9's.

Hence why people upgrade the cams for better lowdown (2.6lt).

Or people go with a 2.6lt HKS V-Cam / 2.8lt HKS V-Cam or RB28 Stroker.

And since your engine is getting a rebuild it opens you up to all the options.

I personally prefer a responsive RB26 hence why you choosing -9's is a good choice.

Change gears

That won't work in all situations.

You're coming out of a second gear corner at 4000 rpm with a Horrible setup like RS's on a 2.6. You can't tell me you're gonna go back to first!

So you plant your foot and choo choo all the way up the hill, while your mate with -9's blasts past you like you're standing still.

Anyway we are getting into the old forum fight of the definition of laggy setup. Each to their own on this one. I think the best advice is experiencing different setups to see what your happy with. Me personally love the built, cammed, -5 RB26 Setup. Best of both worlds and as my engine builder said, 'the 26s sweet spot'. I drive it daily and love that it's off boost in traffic and starts coming on at a higher rev range. I would hate boost coming on too early. BUT when I want to drive the car then I hold it between 4 and 7-8 and she is a rocket and no lag when it matters. My other car is a HSV LS2 with old school lumpiness and a hi stall. Again in traffic she purrs under stall with low torque to the wheels but when asked to she will flash to 4k and all hell will break loose. Best of both world with both Setups in my opinion.

The only GTR I have driven is mine. Which previously was stock with computer and cat back. So with out first hand experience it's a little hard to judge what I would like

Change gears

That won't work in all situations.

You're coming out of a second gear corner at 4000 rpm with a Horrible setup like RS's on a 2.6. You can't tell me you're gonna go back to first!

So you plant your foot and choo choo all the way up the hill, while your mate with -9's blasts past you like you're standing still.

We are talking about -5s on a built and cammed 26 not rs's that won't be at their peak at 4k.