SAU Community

-7/9s Or -5s Garretts

Adz2332

stock bottom end & now requires a bottom end rebuild (factory gtr bottom end is not engineered to handle this power, it has happened to me twice now)

in terms of rwkw i think you lose 10% in awkw mode, so maybe call it 350rwkw?

paul (dirtgarage, aka gtr wikipedia lol) can confirm this if he happens to read my post

Wow that is pretty impressive from SS's. You mean the stock bottom end carked it twice at around 350rwkw? That's scary. Many of us are pushing approx that figure on stock engines. I was wondering whether to up the boost to something like that with my -5s, but have been hesitant due to stories like this. I will be happy with around a safer 330rwkw/300awkw setup then.

my 1st engine had gtrs turbo's and it let go after 4 months, running 362awkw. aust delivered gtr with genuine 100,000km (full log history).

my current engine ran 325awkw & let go after 6 months but i expected this after my 1st experience.

both botom ends were factory, untouched & had done close to 20years!

Wow that is pretty impressive from SS's. You mean the stock bottom end carked it twice at around 350rwkw? That's scary. Many of us are pushing approx that figure on stock engines. I was wondering whether to up the boost to something like that with my -5s, but have been hesitant due to stories like this. I will be happy with around a safer 330rwkw/300awkw setup then.

350rwkw is just a matter of time.

You might get 6 month, you might get 2 years... either way it will die eventually if you have a bit of a search :P

I've recently since discovered i no longer have 34 n1 turbos in my car, the only thing that is partly the same is the rear turbine, and whats left of the compressor cover..

they are now more like gt2871r, with a 71mm front wheel in a .42 compressor housing (they should be in .60 housings) machined to suit..

still hopefully will net me somewhere around 400-450kw @ 1.7-2bar hopefully i wont need to update the compressor housing to something bigger. i guess it will only be something holding back top end power.

I've recently since discovered i no longer have 34 n1 turbos in my car, the only thing that is partly the same is the rear turbine, and whats left of the compressor cover..

they are now more like gt2871r, with a 71mm front wheel in a .42 compressor housing (they should be in .60 housings) machined to suit..

still hopefully will net me somewhere around 400-450kw @ 1.7-2bar hopefully i wont need to update the compressor housing to something bigger. i guess it will only be something holding back top end power.

boost control...or lack of it will be holding you back. The small wastegate size in the rear housing simply cannot bypass enough exhaust gas out of the turbine. The HKS GT-RS turbines with their larger wastegate struggled to bypass and control boost above 25psi.

Edited by DiRTgarage

i think i might be wrong as chances are if i ran 362awkw (gtrs) & 325awkw (gtss) that i was running a higher boost with the gtrs setup.

i'll look at my old dyno sheets & post the results

Yeah cool

So no mods to motor?

boost control...or lack of it will be holding you back. The small wastegate size in the rear housing simply cannot bypass enough exhaust gas out of the turbine. The HKS GT-RS turbines with their larger wastegate struggled to bypass and control boost above 25psi.

Cheers for that info Paul, i was going to consider using external gates. or i guess i could possibly port out the wastegate flap but thats really just a band aid eh.

my 1st engine had gtrs turbo's and it let go after 4 months, running 362awkw. aust delivered gtr with genuine 100,000km (full log history).

my current engine ran 325awkw & let go after 6 months but i expected this after my 1st experience.

both botom ends were factory, untouched & had done close to 20years!

What ended up breaking??

1st engine dropped compression in no. 6 (collapsed ring land)

2nd engine dropped compression in no. 2 (probably collapsed ring land, unknown as yet)

being cylinder no. 2 chances are that maybe no. 2 injector could be partially blocked as it is unusual for this cylinder to go, usually its no. 5 or no. 6 that typically let go which run the hottest being at the back of the block

Cheers for that info Paul, i was going to consider using external gates. or i guess i could possibly port out the wastegate flap but thats really just a band aid eh.

opening up the wastegate while still maintaining enough surface area to provide a good seal is relatively common mod.

got my car back last week, im running the -5's. i already love them. minimal lag, awesome power!!!

now i just need to sort out an inlet manifold leak and it would be all sweat. :)

got my car back last week, im running the -5's. i already love them. minimal lag, awesome power!!!

now i just need to sort out an inlet manifold leak and it would be all sweat. :)

Ah, so that was your black GTR @ Sabbaddin Automotive? :) Mine is under the blue cover, lol.

opening up the wastegate while still maintaining enough surface area to provide a good seal is relatively common mod.

I'll get it down to my mates shop and have a look and go from there. a couple of screamers would go down nicely :wave:

what size gate(s) would you recommend running?

Finally got a ride in an r33 gtr with -5 turbo's from a member on SAU; was a tad laggy for my likes but once it hit 4000ish rpm the pull was amazing; every gear just built speed.

Could live with the lag as it does produce some boost while just cruising e.g 3000-3500rpm gear changes but once i jumped back in my car i could immediately tell the difference in response but the r34 gtr stockers definitely run out of puff at 6000rpm-ish where the -5's reach their optimum all the way till redline.

Im going the -7 route now; was sooooo indecisive until i got to feel both cars in sucession