SAU Community

-7/9s Or -5s Garretts

Adz2332

Oh yeah my bad, was reading the garrett catalogue wrong.

Anyway just noticed there really isn't much difference between -7 and -9 turbo specs. Although -9s are rated at higher horsepower.

Has anyone had experience with both turbos and could feel a difference on street or performance.

Hi there look honestly stop procrastinating so much I have the -9s look these are what you want not the -7s as they run out of puff in mid to top end. The tiny little bit of slight lag you get with a -9 you more than catch up a second later when your pulling hard in mid and top leaving the guy with the -7 looking at your beautiful round stop light lenses. -9 future proof you if and especially you will want more power and the responce is still crisp, I have hosed guys with the larger -5 waiting for those to come on strong and I've already pulled way to far ahead to catch. Int opinion the -9 are the ultimate street and strip twin turbo setup for most of us non pro guys. I managed 363rwkw with these on 18psi and all by 3600rpm why would you bother with the -7s only guys who own WRXs worry about a little lag oh my god a little lag.

Cheers,

David.

Well here's my dyno graph to show my 362rwkw with my -7 which was achieved at 22psi. Of course there are a lot of variable factors (including the extra torque I'm making from my 2.8 stroker).

I think these turbos have been great. I'll be taking mine out shortly and replacing them with a set of HKS GT-RS's because the quest for greater power has got hold of me :)

362.jpg

Admittedly that is pushing them to their very limits and I have a lot of supporting modifications but I just wanted to post my figures to show it's not a totally black and white arguement and how it's dependant on a lot of factors.

Haha how much power do you need Kat?!

Same workshop as Kat I think:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4445699

That and her graph would have to be max 'mass flow' of those turbochargers rated at 300hp each!!

My -5s on a stock R32 engine looks just about exactly like this graph at 17psi:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4563172

It's making 160awkw @ 3500rpm (which is plenty I reckon), 200awkw at ~4300rpm, 95% of full power at 5000rpm and maxing at ~7000rpm. So, just on 300awkw from 5-7k RPM, making 293 at all 4 on 17psi and 306 at all 4 on 18.5psi.

I like the -5s as they don't compromise much for when I get an engine built. I had 2530s on the car before anyway so am used to lower response times... Hell, I had a 700hp T66 - 1.32 rear on a car 6 years ago, LOL.

Indeed...

360rwkw out of -7's? They are barely bigger than factory... Must be on E85?

I think the -7 is a typo because earlier the same person says he has -9's. I've got a mate making 464rwkw with -5's on 50% e85/50% BP Ultimate so 360 on -9's would be acheivable.

I think the -7 is a typo because earlier the same person says he has -9's. I've got a mate making 464rwkw with -5's on 50% e85/50% BP Ultimate so 360 on -9's would be acheivable.

Go back and read again. At no point does SHE say she has -9's. I made 360rwkw on -7's and have progressive dyno sheets to prove it.

go the -9's they are simply better in everyway

only reason i went for the -7's is because i couldn't wait and needed my car, the guy at the shop said there was like a month wait for the -9's til they come

whilst the -7, i could get overnight

Go back and read again. At no point does SHE say she has -9's. I made 360rwkw on -7's and have progressive dyno sheets to prove it.

Question is do you have a MPH to actually back it up?

Another run @ Dyno Day's with similar setup cars?

When someone mysteriously achieves 40rwkw+ than anyone else has before, it's going to be questioned. Fair enough as well.

I could get you a dyno sheet showing 600rwkw from -7's. Doesn't mean it correct now does it?

The point being a dyno sheet at times, proves nothing. There are no shootout mode markings or any other input settings, so goodness knows how that dyno was setup.

If it was -9s, ye i could believe as well. But not -7's.

I would love to have someone to compare this with! Another GTR at dyno days would be nice let alone another GTR with a 2.8L stroker, bigger cams, other similar mods and -7 turbos!

I've never seen anyone with this setup, -7's would not have been my choice after the stroker. Now I have more money free and am chasing bigger power I'm upgrading to something more suitable.

TBH I don't care if you believe it or not. I have had the car since stock, it's always been tested on the same dyno and at each stage of it's mods it's had roughly what I would have expected.

I only put this up to share my results, not for an arguement from someone who's never even laid eyes on my car!

My car has been on the same dyno as Kat's and so have lots of other peoples that I know. We have almost all been on other dynos as well, so I think we'd know if there was something dodgey about Ed's figures.

At least three of us actually think his dyno reads a little low if anything......

I'll be taking mine out shortly and replacing them with a set of HKS GT-RS's because the quest for greater power has got hold of me :)

hi katrina,

that is a nice setup u have there ;) what cams u running & any head work/porting?

reason i ask, im making 405awkw on my -10's (hks gtrs equivalent) @ 23psi on my rb26/30, seeing that you are from the ACT u might know of 'autotech' & 'pro engines'

where do u take your car for mechanical mods & tuning?

regards

marko

Thanks John! :)

I'm running HKS 246 in and 272 out step 2 cams from memory and the head is ported.

Autotech do all my tuning and servicing and Greg from Pro Engines did the engine build and head work.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the GT-RS's and I'd be expecting a minimum of 400awkw. I've spoken to Jim from Croydon and owners of some other big name Skylines who have given me a good idea of what to expect.

:) Sorry I assumed gender ;)

No offense but either the dyno is way out of whack or the ambient air temp sensor has been put somewhere hot in the engine bay to make the figure look higher.

hi katrina,

that is a nice setup u have there :) what cams u running & any head work/porting?

reason i ask, im making 405awkw on my -10's (hks gtrs equivalent) @ 23psi on my rb26/30, seeing that you are from the ACT u might know of 'autotech' & 'pro engines'

where do u take your car for mechanical mods & tuning?

regards

marko

What fuel are U running? My mate is making 464rwkw on -5's and 50% E85 / 50% BP98 at that same boost level. That's with Tomei 260 cams and a Jun 2.7L kit.

Haha never assume. Just curious that you may have ever met a dude called Kat :)

Just BP ultimate. It was also runing a 3.5" exhaust with a straight through (no cat but due to emissions/not wanting to get defected there's one on there now), 800cc injectors. I have the Tomei 2.8L kit, Tomei oil pump, Bosch 044...