SAU Community

Meeting With Sapol

Nene260RS

Im pretty damn sure soon some geek will say IBTL, or end thread. or something like that. .....3 to 1 chance. got a good barrier.

Who will it be >? who will follow it up ? who will end it ?

watch. :)

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've all gone off the main topic of the "Meeting with SAPOL" and somehow blended the "Defect Thread" into this one.

Lets take the defect stuff over to its correct thread and get back OT here.............me included!

After browsing through the last 12 pages, there seem to be a LOT of different issues being thrown about. Unlike some people I know that modifying ur car legally and driving to not draw attention ISN'T the answer. If you think this will avoid you getting a defect you are either ignorant or have just been lucky. Ignoring the issues like skyline owners being constantly pulled over while just driving normally while smokey old unsafe bombs remain on the roads, I think the main relevant issues are:

1) In order to for the defect/regency system to be replaced with one involving mod plates or engineers certificates that aren't dismissed, we need to be placing pressure on the state government, as they are the ones that ultimately make the rules.

2) In order to do this, we either need to contest things through the courts as they have done in other states (I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect we wont really have a leg to stand on here in SA) or clean up our image and distance ourselves from the hoons and then apply pressure like a good old fashioned lobby group.

3) Building a good relationship with SAPOL is a good step to distancing ourselves from the hoons, but without out follow up steps it will probably just become a token effort.

So everyone feel free to post up about changes and initiatives on both sides of the fence, bcos as a lot of people have mentioned its a two way street.

To get the ball rolling, here are some ideas I've been kicking around. I think the SA section of SAU should become a bit more formalised, and membership should be seen as a privilege not a right. For example, if someone is misbehaving on a cruise and laying down snakies in the maccas car park, they shouldn't be allowed in the club as this unfairly gives everyone a bad name. That way when we inevitably get pulled over while minding our own business, an SAU sticker on the window should tell the officer the driver has probably made efforts to ensure the car is legally modified and probably doesn't participate in street racing. Maybe they wont just be thinking another fastnfurious dickhead in an import as they are walking towards the car......

The other thing I was thinking, is that there are two many people here that are too cluey about their cars for their not to be a bucket load of mechanics and engineers on here. I my self am a student member of Engineers Australia (haven't graduated yet) and I can tell you there are quite a few car obsessed engineers at uni. People with professional qualifications are more likely to be listened to then random internet hoons in a club. Why not use this untapped resource??? I imagine a group of professional engineers and mechanics telling the transport minister that the system is a joke might have a better result than individual letter writing campaigns or an online petition.

It wont matter if you get rocket scientists to attest that modified Skylines are safe. Its not about the cars, its about the gatherings.

Large groups of cars meeting for no particular reason in public car parks, on weekends or after hours, are and always will be considered by SAPOL as nothing more than a public nuisance that congest the roadways and invite unnecessary danger for other road users. One way of breaking these meetings up is to put these cars off the road which is simple as the vast majority of them are illegally or poorly modified.

Do not poke the dog with a stick and it wont bite you. 'Cruising' ie. hanging out in dark car parks for no reason = bad for the registration status of your car. They will get you...and if you invite SAPOL to the start point it only means they need less resources and infrastructure to come along and get the defect job done. Regardless of what Neill says, cruisers are looked on as nothing more than trouble makers blocking the roads and driving aimlessly around for no reason...and there is some merit in that as there is very little good that can come out of 'cruising'.

If you love your car take it to a track day, go for a drive in the country, do something constructive with it :)

Edited by Martin Donnon

Do not poke the dog with a stick and it wont bite you. 'Cruising' ie. hanging out in dark car parks for no reason = bad for the registration status of your car. They will get you...and if you invite SAPOL to the start point it only means they need less resources and infrastructure to come along and get the defect job done. Regardless of what Neill says, cruisers are looked on as nothing more than trouble makers blocking the roads and driving aimlessly around for no reason...and there is some merit in that as there is very little good that can come out of 'cruising'.

please end thread lol

After browsing through the last 12 pages, there seem to be a LOT of different issues being thrown about. Unlike some people I know that modifying ur car legally and driving to not draw attention ISN'T the answer. If you think this will avoid you getting a defect you are either ignorant or have just been lucky. Ignoring the issues like skyline owners being constantly pulled over while just driving normally while smokey old unsafe bombs remain on the roads, I think the main relevant issues are:

1) In order to for the defect/regency system to be replaced with one involving mod plates or engineers certificates that aren't dismissed, we need to be placing pressure on the state government, as they are the ones that ultimately make the rules.

2) In order to do this, we either need to contest things through the courts as they have done in other states (I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect we wont really have a leg to stand on here in SA) or clean up our image and distance ourselves from the hoons and then apply pressure like a good old fashioned lobby group.

3) Building a good relationship with SAPOL is a good step to distancing ourselves from the hoons, but without out follow up steps it will probably just become a token effort.

So everyone feel free to post up about changes and initiatives on both sides of the fence, bcos as a lot of people have mentioned its a two way street.

To get the ball rolling, here are some ideas I've been kicking around. I think the SA section of SAU should become a bit more formalised, and membership should be seen as a privilege not a right. For example, if someone is misbehaving on a cruise and laying down snakies in the maccas car park, they shouldn't be allowed in the club as this unfairly gives everyone a bad name. That way when we inevitably get pulled over while minding our own business, an SAU sticker on the window should tell the officer the driver has probably made efforts to ensure the car is legally modified and probably doesn't participate in street racing. Maybe they wont just be thinking another fastnfurious dickhead in an import as they are walking towards the car......

The other thing I was thinking, is that there are two many people here that are too cluey about their cars for their not to be a bucket load of mechanics and engineers on here. I my self am a student member of Engineers Australia (haven't graduated yet) and I can tell you there are quite a few car obsessed engineers at uni. People with professional qualifications are more likely to be listened to then random internet hoons in a club. Why not use this untapped resource??? I imagine a group of professional engineers and mechanics telling the transport minister that the system is a joke might have a better result than individual letter writing campaigns or an online petition.

I agree to most of this, the sticker issue seem to be a good plan, but as long as we dont go giving them to every tom dick and harry. Also im part of the Engineers Australia Also,should graduate at the end of the year. There are definately lots of car mad engineers, especially mechanical ones that once done a corse that allows them to do engineer reports would be a good thing for us as we could get their opinions on the matter and whats safe and unsafe.

If you love your car take it to a track day, go for a drive in the country, do something constructive with it :P

I'd love to! If we had a genuine Adelaide based drag strip. I think DWTuning should build a drag/test facility (and I'm not talking about a place to dress up in womens clothing :/ ) I enjoy corners, but I'd love to be able to go in a straight line again.

Any news on re-mapping the Golf TSI/GT yet mate?