SAU Community

I Saw A Suicide Today

rtune

i think its stupid that because they want to kill themselves that they have to involve so many other people in it. Think about the person that was driving the train and having to go through all that not to mention the people like yourself that witnessed it

No mention in the news.. and since there is no rail outage news or status page, no confirmation there either..

I guess the media do have a gentleman's agreement to keep this stuff quiet.

I was curious so I looked up the stats. Found a nice document breaking out suicide by type and success rate in NSW.

apparently people who use a gun succeed most often, followed by hanging, then carbon monoxide. No mention

in the stats of trains, unless they are bundled into "jumping". At least 6 people per day off themselves successfully

across australia

... higher than the road toll.

• Like 1

Shock does different things to different people. Some people just phase out.

P.S. A half hour response by Sydney Rail is pretty quick in my books.

yeah... well thats what happens to people.....

something gruesome like this happens... with a whole lot of ....organic mess.....

people will rush up to see it cause they are curious whats the image of the aftermath..

but once they see it.......they may become traumatised... and some may even need counselling.

i think its a mixture of Curiosity + Blood lust.

reminds me of executions in other countries...people gather around to watch.

but after it.....im sure it will leave an after taste in their minds and stomach.........

Well that sounds kind of ok for the driver. I know a guy went thought the drivers window,lucky the driver ducked and the dead body hit the wall behind him nothing like having a dead body in your cab. Suicide's are nothing for most drivers,accidents can have a lasting effect or kids.

Not only that the driver probly took 2 weeks stress leave.

Well that sounds kind of ok for the driver. I know a guy went thought the drivers window,lucky the driver ducked and the dead body hit the wall behind him nothing like having a dead body in your cab. Suicide's are nothing for most drivers,accidents can have a lasting effect or kids.

Not only that the driver probly took 2 weeks stress leave.

did i get that correctly???

did u not mean on kids?

or as in some kids are accidents :)

Sad and disappointing to hear but I agree 4admrn in that why do they have to commit suicide in such a way as to inconvenience thousands of others and expose innocent bystanders to the trauma of such a gruesome death. I know it may seem insensitive and rude but surely suicide can be achieved in a much more dignified and discrete manner.

Ultimately prevention is the key. I keep hearing how Australia has a massive problem with suicide particularly amongst young males. Surely there has to be someone these people can contact before making such a fateful decision.

did i get that correctly???

did u not mean on kids?

or as in some kids are accidents :(

Yer running kids over can mess up the poor train driver. Many have retired or never gone back to driving after it.

Sad and disappointing to hear

Australia has a massive problem with suicide particularly amongst young males. Surely there has to be someone these people can contact before making such a fateful decision.

yeah but what i think the most sad thing is..

in Australia, its really the best place in the world to live. forget about other first world countries like japan or Usa etc.

our social services are free, including medicare, unemployment benifits. i cant think of anywhere else that has it better...

but yet...... people suicide and take things for granted... and there are countless countries in the world whom have it really bad. like India...africa etc...

although surviving is very tough there... people still find the courage to live by a thread.

and it seems the harder it is to live...the more people want to soldier on.

but then again....unless some people really have phsycological issues... alot of mental sufferers actually get affected when they drop thier dosage or change medicine...

resulting in this kind of thing.

• 1 year later...

Man I just read your post. I was on the platform too but had my back to it and didn't see it. Someone told me the guy layed down with his head on the rail. Apparently he was an old guy. Who knows why he did it. When cops turned up they were pi**ed off with Station Master because he had sent witnesses away and no one was able to give statement. You should maybe contact them since you saw it. Driver and guard had to evacuate passengers through front door as only front two carriages were on platform. He would need to get on phone to report and receive instructions. A good effort I reckon after traumatic incident to get people off so quick. One lady was whinging to driver about train being cancelled. What is he supposed to do? I have heard that train suicides average out about 1 a week.

Random thread revival,

side note im pretty sure you will never read or hear suicides reported. Correct me if im wrong? Its kinda like a gentlemen's agreement that is actually adhered to as opposed to fudged.

Random thread revival,

side note im pretty sure you will never read or hear suicides reported. Correct me if im wrong? Its kinda like a gentlemen's agreement that is actually adhered to as opposed to fudged.

think it has something to do with aiding the idea of its simplicity, don't want to fill peoples heads with ideas..

A mate of mine had this happen in front of him.

Train didn't finish him off, ambulance was called, my mate and another guy got down and gathered him up and a few other bits and got him up on the platform for the ambos.

Said it was totally horrific as you would expect.

im a train guard so im getting a kick out of these replies and yay for old thread revival.

can confirm its at least once a week for jumpers in front of trains, ive been on about four years and had 2 fatalities, 2 serious injuries and a craptonne of near misses including one guy who laid down in between the tracks and let the train go right over the top of him. got up, shook his head like he was disappointed he was still alive and wandered off.

not sure why its not in the media more but the theories here sound about right.

Had the unpleasant experience of finding a lost young man hanging from a school stairwell one morning.

Police officer explained that authority's were keen for real statistics not to get out in order to cover up the useless job they do of looking after mental health. Paricularly in young males.

• Nope 1