SAU Community

Spam Pms With Links To Spyware/malware

They are not actually bots, but people that sign up, post (if needed to activate PMs) and then use a script to PM everyone on the site, person by person.

They have hit MANY sites, a simple google of the username will show this.

The Link SHOULD NOT be clicked, the PM should be deleted immediately, and a moderator/admin notified of the user so that the account can be disabled, and the account's sign-up IP address should be blocked from accessing this site.

OzMazda.com took the step of blocking the IP address range the user signed in from, and has been clean ever since, but prior they had 3 different attacks in the space of a week.

B.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got it too

Personal Message

brickerza

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Add to PM block list

Forward PM

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts Weekend, Today, 08:36 AM

Group: Members

Member No.: 61,986

Do it now!

Time to upgrade the anti bot join page.

Its not a bot thats joining up - its actually a human completing the registration process.

Then they proceed to run a script/bot once all of it is complete.

Next time - please post in the one thread that we have dedicated for this.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Pm...or-t265283.html

Thanks

^ if your selling goods, ie wrecking a car with 20-30 parts.

You're going to get triple that in PM's... So it's VERY hard to decide on a limit that doesn't impact users

There is a IPB release coming and so on, Admin will have to think about how we set the limit

^ if your selling goods, ie wrecking a car with 20-30 parts.

You're going to get triple that in PM's... So it's VERY hard to decide on a limit that doesn't impact users

There is a IPB release coming and so on, Admin will have to think about how we set the limit

I mean to set a limit on how many PMs you can send, not receive. I think very rarely do people send more than 20 PMs a day. Maybe make the limit 50 then... Even that would make it less spam-worthy than now.

Anyway, hopefully the update will help kill spammers.

I mean to set a limit on how many PMs you can send, not receive. I think very rarely do people send more than 20 PMs a day. Maybe make the limit 50 then... Even that would make it less spam-worthy than now.

Maybe make the post limit only 10 posts or so, most spammers can't be bothered making 10 legit posts and anyone that is serious about selling parts would surely have been part of the community and have 10 posts anyway, also its not stopping them from sending PMs its just limiting how many they can send in a day.

I guess wait and see if spam like this continues to be a problem, if it stops at only these two events then that kind of action probably isn't necessary.

edit: A better option would be to add captcha phrases (enter in some weird looking text) to people sending PMs with less than 10 posts, like you see on most online signup websites. I don't know how difficult this would be to implement, however Vbulletin? is pretty popular so someone has probably already made a mod like this.

Edited by Rolls

Like i said, 20-30 parts, that means at LEAST 40-50PM's, and that means generally you would be replying - which means one user sending.

Its not like we haven't already thought about it all :P

Like i said, 20-30 parts, that means at LEAST 40-50PM's, and that means generally you would be replying - which means one user sending.

Its not like we haven't already thought about it all :/

Just go another today (deleted member already)

As i dont use PM's much it might be a dumb question, but is there a timer limit (like posing on the forums) for sending PM's?

IE

You can only send 1 PM per minute or so?

It may at least slow down the amount of PM's they can send

OK so we shouldn't be receiving any more spam PMs. I've put in two methods of blocking this:

If you're just a regular member then you can only send one PM every 5 mins.

SAU VIC, WA, QLD and NSW club members, mods, admins, traders and contributors can send unlimited PM's... the assumption here is that we've verified who you are so we trust you.

Also if your postcount is below 10, then you can no longer PM. This will hopefully weed out people who sign up and then supply the login to bots.

I'll run a few cleanup queries tonight which should remove the spam PM's from your inboxes if they're still there.

If you do get anymore spam PM's (ie after the time I posted this) please let me know, as it means the bots are circumventing the above patches.

Thanks for your patience guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is this the reason I'm seeing several new members a day with only 10 posts making completely useless and pointless posts?

Is it just so they can PM?

lol unfortunate side effect. I just can't believe how much trading goes on by people who don't contribute any useful posts on the forum.

At the very least post up a Intro post in the Newbie section and have a conversation with people, it'll get you to 10 posts pretty easily.

That's a bit rough! Why don't you just make it 5 so they can't do it in one sitting?

Well whats worse?

People getting infected by a virus because of spyware - or some mild restrictions to stop it?

I'm thinking of new members... ACTUAL members who come here and have something to say... could you say it in 2 posts per day for 5 days Mr 24 thousand posts?? >_<