SAU Community

Spam Pms With Links To Spyware/malware

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noooooo dont PM me... :( I get too many a day as it is!

Just post in the other thread about it next time (2-3 down from this one)

I'll ban each account as it comes through etc etc

Although - i think another Admin beat me to it this time, i cant see the account

Cheers!

yeah it's a bummer. but to give users some privacy even admins cannot access other users pm box or read or delete pms in there. so it's not easy to combat. common sense is the only weapon you have. so let's use that! if you get a pm from an 'administrator' that signed up 2 days ago, has no admin tag and sends you to a site that ends in .ru then I say think carefully before clicking. for those that don't know if you mouse over a link your browser will display the URL that you're going to in the bottom left corner of your browser window. so you can check without clicking it. :banana:

Surely there should be a way to implement a general limit on the number of PMs forum users can send per day, especially those with 0 or very few posts.

I think 20 PMs/day would be more than enough for everyone but mods/admins.

Got a PM from Brickerza last night that was titled "Weekend".

Inside it suggests that I should click on a link with the words "Do it now!" which was underlined.

Of course I didn't do this...

This would have taken me to "http://iefa.ru/"

Do we need to ban this User?

i got the same msg. i immediately thought of how many noobs will be clicking the link. not very good.

the person/people sending these pm's are a pain in the arse.

its not only this forum that its happening on. im also a member on bc and its happening regulary over there aswell.

Got a PM from Brickerza last night that was titled "Weekend".

Inside it suggests that I should click on a link with the words "Do it now!" which was underlined.

Of course I didn't do this...

This would have taken me to "http://iefa.ru/"

Do we need to ban this User?

I just got one too with the same link.  It's undoubtedly a malware site that will install some horrible rubbish on your computer by merely visiting it.  I didn't click it either.

Edited by Agbeard