SAU Community

Spam Pms With Links To Spyware/malware

I recommend whoever is admin here try and mass delete these PMs that have been sent to everyone if possible, I haven't bothered to check out the website that is disguised as 'new forums rules' but I imagine it is some kind of malware or virus.

The user that sent them was jurdreda

Edited by Rolls

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same issue as the other day (see below thread)

Users should be aware of such spam and not click links.

IPB have released an announcement about it to all Forum Owners, there no doubt will be some kind of fix coming - however i am unaware of deleting PM's from users, i dont think that would be a feature you'd want Admins to have :P

however i am unaware of deleting PM's from users, i dont think that would be a feature you'd want Admins to have :)

True, and I'd like to think most users are smart enough to avoid such tricks, however I'm sure some will have fallen victim.

I got this email about a PM but my user name isn't "PartsGuy". Logged into my account and I noticed that my email address has been changed. :)

I've changed it to my email address, but should I be concerned ?

I don't understand.

What does "partsguy" mean?

And did you change your user ID? Click on the link? Give out your pass?

If none of the above, there is no way for someone else to change email address, you must have done it at some stage or someone else did if you left your user logged into a share PC etc

Yes mate, if you didn't click the link you'll be right.

A little bit more info from an IPB announcement:

It has come to our attention that a new wave of SPAM is originating via the Personal Messenger within IP.Board. It is believed that humans are registering to satisfy the reCaptcha requirements and then activating a "bot" to send hundreds of SPAM messages via the PM system.
So we're certainly not the only ones "lucky" enough to be targeted, hooray!

If the account registrations are indeed being completed by people then it's extremely difficult for any automated system to detect them as a spam account until they've already tried to deliver their payload (and to detect THAT the software has to include the functionality).

As always, your best bet is to keep your eyes open (a lot of spam accounts will have nonsensical names, they'll usually have a registration date within the last week, etc) and, most importantly, don't click any links you are uncertain about.

I hate spam as much as anyone, but unfortunately it's a fact of life these days - just delete it and move on :(

How long is a piece of string?

Could be to promotional/rubbish websites, could be virus/malware... impossible to tell

I clicked on the link that i received via a PM, and now, in the next few days I'm going to find out how to increase my penis size!!!

I'll post up a full DIY ASAP! :stupid::D