SAU Community

R34 Gtr - Vspec - Vspec Ii

Hi all,

I am sure this question has come up here a hundred times, so if you couldn't be bothered answering, I'd greatly appreciate if you could supply LINKS

to sites that will answer the question.

I'm looking at buying an R34 GT Vspec II but I'm not 100% sure that the differences are between the:

R34 GTR

R34 GTR Vspec

R34 GTR Vspec II

When I go to inspect the car, what are some pointers I should look for that tell me that it really is a Vspec II and not a Vspec or normal GTR?

Thanks all!!

COURTESY OF GOOGLE AND WIKIPEDIA

5th generation (1999–2002)

Fifth generation An R34-generation Skyline GT-R V-Spec

Production 1999-2002

Assembly Tochigi, Tochigi, Japan

Body style(s) 2-door coupe

Layout Front engine, rear-wheel drive / all-wheel drive

Engine(s) 2.6 L I6

Transmission(s) 6-speed manual

The GT-BNR34 (R34) Skyline GT-R and GT-R V-spec models were released in January 1999. The R34 GT-R was also made to be shorter (from front to rear), and the front wheels were made closer to the front. The valve covers were also painted glossy red, rather than dull black.

A new feature on the R34 GT-R is a 5.8" LCD multifunction display on the center of the dashboard, which shows seven different live readings of engine and vehicle statistics such as turbocharger pressure (1.2 bar max), oil and water temperature, among others. The GT-R V-spec model added two extra features to the display: intake and exhaust gas temperatures. Nismo Multi-function Displays (MFD)can be bought at an extra cost, they include a lap timer and an increase in boost pressure measurement to 2 bar. R34 rears are longer than previous models.

Like the R33, the new R34 GT-R V-spec models come equipped with the ATTESA E-TS Pro system and an Active LSD at the rear, while standard GT-R models come with the non-Pro system and a conventional mechanical differential. The V-spec model also had firmer suspension, and lower ground clearance. The V-spec model also included a plastic front air diffuser (covering the underside of the engine), and also a rear carbon fiber air diffuser, designed to keep air flowing smoothly under the car.

Another special model of the R34 GT-R is the M-spec. It was similar to the V-spec, but had special "Ripple control" dampers and a leather interior with heated front seats.

At the time of the R34's release, like the R32 and R33, Nissan released an R34 N1 model. The R34 GT-R N1 was equipped similar to the R32 and R33 N1 models - a homologation special. It was sold without ABS, air conditioning, audio equipment, rear wiper, or carpet in the trunk. The new R34 N1 was also given the new R34 N1 engine. Only 45 R34 N1 models were produced from the factory, 12 of which were used by Nismo for Super Taikyu racing. The rest were sold to various customers, mostly racing teams, and tuning garages.

In August 2000, Nissan released a newer V-Spec II GT-R model. The V-Spec II has increased stiffness in the suspension (even stiffer than the original V-spec) and had larger brake rotors on the rear. It also comes equipped with a carbon fiber hood, which is lighter than the aluminum that all other GT-R hoods are made from. Also different on the V-Spec II was an iridium center console and aluminium pedals. The seats were also made with black cloth rather than the gray cloth used on previous R34 GT-R models, and the amber turn lenses were replaced with white versions. From this point on the standard trim level GT-Rs and V-Specs also received these updates, with the exception of the carbon fiber bonnet.

In February 2002 Nissan released a final production model of the R34 GT-R called the Nür. Nissan also released a limited Manufacturer Special model designated the M-Spec. This came in two forms, the base M-Spec, and the Nür. The Nür was sold in 2 different models: the Skyline GT-R V-spec II Nür and the previously mentioned Skyline GT-R M-spec Nür. The Nür was named after the famous German Nürburgring racetrack, where the Skyline was developed. The Nür model featured an improved RB26DETT based on the N1 racing engine, used by Nismo in Motorsports. The V-spec II Nür is based on the regular V-spec II model, and the M-spec Nür was based on the regular M-spec model. Other than the addition of the Nür engine, the Nür models also included a different color of stitching on the interior trim, as well as a speedometer reading up to 300 km/h (186 mph).

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ni...GTR+DIFFERENCES

Read that =)

Also this is from Sewids post -

The GTR is the base model while the GTR and V-Spec were being made most cars came out of the factory as V-Specs.

V-Spec has added fruit such as:

- Carbon fibre rear underbody tray

- Intercooler intake temp sensor

- Exhaust temp sensor

- Upgraded MFD to show data for these two extra sensors

- Slightly different tacho (cant remember how exactly)

- Active rear diff (maybe on all R34 GTRs?)

- Faster ATTESSA computer (maybe on all R34 GTRs?)

The V-Spec II has all of the above plus:

- Carbon fibre bonnet

- Different rear brakes (very slightly different apparently)

- Black cloth seats (as opposed to grey in the earlier models)

- Aluminium pedal set

- Aluminium map pocket

- Aluminium faced CD player

- Firmer suspension (probably not 100% on this)

- Different radiator (plastic topped)

- Larger rear Nissan badge

- Updated MFD with extra functions such as a lap counter and possible data logging?

- Different front bar?

- Probably more

The M-Spec is basically a V-Spec II except for the following:

- Aluminium bonnet (same as V-Spec) with carbon bonnet option

- Different paint options

- Improved ride quality due to softer suspension

- Black Leather seats, hand stitched, heated

- a few other things that wrxhoon could probably add - I've compared my V-Spec to his M-Spec before but im sure im missing some bits

The Nur cars are different again.

The Z-Tune is nothing really to do with R34 GTR models.

What about weights, does anyone have any accurate info on the difference in weight between these models

not alot has been mentioned about weight between the models...

there isnt much difference at all between........

Series 1

Skyline R34 GT-R: 1540kg

Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec: 1560kg

Series 2

Skyline R34 GT-R: 1540kg

Skyline R34 GT-R V-Spec II: 1560kg

however, There are specs on the M-spec, M-spec NUR & V-spec 2 NUR have a fair difference in weight

im not sure if this is a misprint or true weight, but this is whats been stated.

Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec: 1800kg

Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec NUR: 1800kg

Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec II NUR: 1780kg

not sure how much the N1 weighs though

I reckon it should be as follows.

Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec: 1600kg

Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec NUR: 1600kg

Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec II NUR: 1580kg

There's no way 200+kg was added.

I reckon it should be as follows.

Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec: 1600kg

Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec NUR: 1600kg

Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec II NUR: 1580kg

There's no way 200+kg was added.

yeah thats what i was thinking

i had an article on the M-spec model on the HPI magazine but i must of thrown it out. it probably said on there...

yeah 300kg is a bit way too much

• 3 months later...
i've been constanly told by my customer that my v-spec 2 is a fake because its black and they dont come in this colour???

Your customer doesn't know the difference between his head and his arse because there were definitely black V Spec II's made.

Your customer doesn't know the difference between his head and his arse because there were definitely black V Spec II's made.

Badzzz huh +1 on black vs2's but jst in case ill go to my garage and double check mine lolz