SAU Community

Car Crushing To Go Ahead

Rocky88

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...5006301,00.html

CRUSHING "dangerous", high-powered vehicles and selling other impounded cars.

HIGHER penalties for illegal street racing by including it as "dangerous driving".

GIVING police a discretion to impound cars on a first offence.

HIGHER penalties for more than 45km/h over the limit.

AUTOMATIC licence suspension for dangerous driving on a first offence.

in other words they will only crush imports and sell the rest...

edit: dont wanna spark another 20 page flame war... just thought it kinda deserves its own topic

Edited by Rocky88

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoon cars to be destroyed

HANNAH SILVERMAN

June 18, 2009 12:01am

HOON drivers risk having their cars crushed under new laws proposed to cut the state's mounting road toll.

Police Minister Michael Wright said a team of police and ministerial representatives will review the state's driving laws to rein in the toll, which stands at 65 deaths for the year, compared to 99 for all of 2008.

"We believe this rate of death is far, far too high and we are going to cut back on dangerous driving and hoon behaviour," he said.

"It is critically important that we send a loud message to people who are doing the wrong thing.

"We're talking about excessive speed, we're talking loutish behaviour, we're talking hoon driving – there's got to be a stop to this behaviour." The group will look at:

CRUSHING "dangerous", high-powered vehicles and selling other impounded cars.

HIGHER penalties for illegal street racing by including it as "dangerous driving".

HIGHER penalties for more than 45km/h over the limit.

AUTOMATIC licence suspension for dangerous driving on a first offence.

The State Government expects to receive the group's first report in the next eight weeks, and a final report a few weeks later. However, while the Government is committed to passing new laws by the end of the year, Mr Wright would not commit to adopting all recommendations.

Mr Wright said the working group, to be headed by police chief superintendent Paul Schramm, would not replace the current Road Safety Advisory Council, but was aimed at getting a "fast and resolute" response.

"We think it's very important that we get some expert advice and we get it quickly," he said.

"These people will be able to provide that (and) will be able to fast track that."

^^link probably doesnt work cause its from future - check the date on top :)

this is what im scared about.

honestly, police just arent trustworthy enough, trained enough, professional enough to be granted any more discretional power.

i honestly think that even with the way things have been of recent, and people still arent getting the message thru their heads, i doubt this will make any difference unless they really do prove they are going to go ahead with it. it is easy to say we are going to do blah blah blah, but unless they actually do a crush a car, to prove they are serious, then it MAY make a difference, it may not.

i find it annoying that despite what has happened with people getting killed and seriously injured from illegal drag racing on the streets, that some people still have not got it through their heads yet, it really makes it hard on the people that are doing the right thing and that dont want a part of it at all.

will be interesting to see whether it really does go ahead tho, and not the government trying a scare tactic.

they can review car crushing all they like.....won't happen in this country.

They'll only ever be able to impound.

If there is finance on the car, under current legislation the car belongs to the company with the financial interest, so I don't know how they'll ever get around that one.

if they start crushing cars, i'm sure some people will want to crush their heads...

needless to say, they don't know what the f**k to do, make the penalties as tough as you like, there will still be people out their dumb enough to continue causing trouble

if they start crushing cars, i'm sure some people will want to crush their heads...

needless to say, they don't know what the f**k to do, make the penalties as tough as you like, there will still be people out their dumb enough to continue causing trouble

Hopefully it would never be pushed through but if it were....

People will try their luck and do a runner as in their eyes there would be bugger all to loose, especially for the youngans where their car is everything... If the officers car is far enough away.... will be the mentality.

There will no doubt be a lot more 'my car was stolen' reports following runner incidents. lol.

Edited by SLAPS

they can review car crushing all they like.....won't happen in this country.

They'll only ever be able to impound.

If there is finance on the car, under current legislation the car belongs to the company with the financial interest, so I don't know how they'll ever get around that one.

i hope you're right, but im afraid it will still go ahead... its south australia remember and our government is reckless enough to ignore people's rights and ownership of the car and do it and et the end of the day public seems to support it and end of the year its going to be a perfect time to try to get more votes from old whinging nanas that are pretty much ~50% of south australian population...

i just want to move out of here

People will try their luck and do a runner as in their eyes there would be bugger all to loose, especially for the youngans where their car is everything... If the officers car is far enough away.... will be the mentality.

There will no doubt be a lot more 'my car was stolen' reports following runner incidents. lol.

yeah good point.

and Rok, I know what you're saying mate but if there was finance on a vehicle, the state govt would in effect have to buy the thing from the actual owner 1st (finance institution) before crushing it.......and me thinks that if they did that, they would sell it instead to recoup costs.

Finance contracts on vehicles in this country are possibly different from the US as they in effect have ownership of title until the last cent is paid.

this is what im scared about.

honestly, police just arent trustworthy enough, trained enough, professional enough to be granted any more discretional power.

+1

i hope you're right, but im afraid it will still go ahead... its south australia remember and our government is reckless enough to ignore people's rights and ownership of the car and do it and et the end of the day public seems to support it and end of the year its going to be a perfect time to try to get more votes from old whinging nanas that are pretty much ~50% of south australian population...

i just want to move out of here

+100

I don't think "dangerous high powered vehicles" pertains strictly to imports, but I too agree that police officers shouldn't be given that sort of power.

I agree it would be hard to swallow that the Govt would actually go thru with this. I think it would be more along the lines of impounding the car, and any further offense will see your car impounded then sold.

The problem is that there are hoon drivers out there. The message is not getting through to the hoons. So many young drivers do not take police seriously and do not respect authority. If this gets the message thru and makes a difference, good on them. And it won't be aimed at imports only. Anything a hoon drives. Nothing better than seeing a square block that was once a Commonwhore. :D

i definitely see more people doing runners, and my car IS EVERYTHING, not too sure what id do tho... i got plenty of mates that would do a runner and i know the cops wouldn't be able to keep up. honestly if you know your cars is defectable lol and you got flashing lights behind you i know it aint smart but why not give her 1 more boot :D jks

Hope it doesn't come to that. Then you're guaranteed to lose your car ... and possibly your life. Its not worth it. But a majority of people think they're Michael Schumaccer anyway until reality hits ... or something else, hits them.

meh, i havn't ever had any trouble face to face with law :D so it hasn't really bothered me.. just makes it annoying.. i just know i have 1 friend that will never obey law