SAU Community

33gtst Brakes On S1

25stagea

hey guys ive searched and cant find a yes or no answer.

will R33GTST brakes fit a series 1 stag. I know the fronts should as they are the same as 32 gtr ones but its the rear i need to no about.

i'm trying to get a fast answer as my brakes are f**ked and i cant get rear rotors anywhere so an upgrade is my only choice.

This should be clearly answered in the Stage Brakes thread http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/St...kes-t82083.html but make sure you read it from the start, it gets a little untidy as time goes on!

Having said that, OEM rotors are available for the S1, as are import Dixcel etc (from your favourite Yahoo! broker - e.g. Import Monster).

OEM should cost a little over $150 each (43206-4P000). It was a 4-day turnaround when I ordered mine.

I've heard that the rear becomes a problem, due to the S1 stagea footbrake being linked with the rears.

You will also have to equate new braided lines into the deal.

Also, I have heard issues with low brake pedal position etc.

I believe R34 GTT are a straight fit (they better be I've just bought some). If you get stuck you can have my old stock S1 rotors for the price of the postage when I fit mine in a few days. Are you not able to get yours skimmed?

I've heard that the rear becomes a problem, due to the S1 stagea footbrake being linked with the rears.

This should be a non-issue as the handbrake mechanism is the same for both cars - it's just the lever that differs.

You will also have to equate new braided lines into the deal.

Correct

Also, I have heard issues with low brake pedal position etc.

Quite possibly an issue - it certainly was when I upgraded from 2-spots to 4-spots on my Z...

thanks guys.

i dont know wether or not to go to 33 brakes.

i can get 33 brakes cheaper than oem s1 stagea ones.

"low brake pedal"

do you mean that the pedal sits closer to the floor because of the difference in the brake booster ?

33gtst front brakes will fit directly onto S1 and 34gtt rears are also direct bolt on.

Minor mods to backing plate to allow the bigger calipers and discs.

Can confirm as I have fitted them to my car.

Had no problems with low brake pedal or handbrake issues.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Br...l&hl=brakes

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Re...l&hl=brakes

thanx Jav360

that wright up is good mate.

I know a guy with a 260 rs stripped half cut i might see if it still has the brake booster , i know the brakes are gone already.

so 34gtt rears fit but what about 33, or is it just a case of try and see.

i should have the full ste of 33 brakes here my mid week , will try to get them on by weekend and post up how it goes.

r33 gtst fronts with rotors obviously.... id go with braided lines while ur there.... saves doing it later.

r34 gtt reats with rotors obviously....again go braided

unsure if a set of nice slotteds would be much use... or you can get them cut in...

nice pads and fresh fluid threw them should be sweet as.

ull need to bend the usless dust covers a little... (the shroud thing that covers the inside of the rotor.)

a quick ebay session showed me this.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R33-...id=p3286.c0.m14

speak to car torque in adelaide regarding rotors and pads...

if you want tell them your adam that got 2 sets of 34 gtr rotors and pads back a bit... i took in a group buy print out n they matched it... ($400 or so cheaper :S:S)

to add to your thaughts of doing an upgrade... u currently run the same rear brakes as an sr20 s13 .... go figure :)

Edited by chef_stagea

Okay I'm reading through all the brake info and no one else has run into there Stagea having bigger diameter caliper mounting bolts than the Skylines use?

Mine have 22mm heads and I had to drill and re-tap my 32 GTS-T calipers to fit them.

I picked up a set of knuckles off another car today to use with my Brembo upgrade but I was curious, because I haven't seen this problem mentioned yet. I'll post pics of them next to each other when I do the swap.

I think others have had to sleeve down the holes but your approach is better if you have the ability.

(PS bolts are ususlly referred to by their shank size e.g. M10, M12 rather than by the size of the spanner needed to turn them although that's always useful to know!)

Yeah I know but it was many months ago and I dont remeber the tap size I had to use but I remembered the bolt head. :banana:

Fronts

R33 GTST calipers use 12mm bolts

R34 GTT calipers use 14mm

Series 2 stagea AWD uses 14mm

Series 1 stagea uses 12mm (I think, Need to confirm)

Series 2 RWD fronts are different to series 2 AWD and use 12mm (I think, Need to confirm)

Rears

All use the same size bolt and are all a direct bolt on.

To use R33 Gtst calipers you need to either re tap the caliper to 14mm or use 12mm bolts with 1mm thick sleeves thru the hub axle.

If anyone wants a set of r33 front calipers, RDA slotted disks (done 1 track day only) and pads, PM me $375

Lad`s & Lasses,i did the retap to the 32 4 pot`s was going to use them but changed my mind,happy to run Stock setup as i like the 157 mm pad size & price in stead of 130 mm,the bolt size is a big difference here`s few photo`s i took,all so have retapped R32gtst front caliper`s for sale,stripped to ali ,if any want`s them for S2Stagea,pm me.post-36964-1250592902_thumb.jpgpost-36964-1250593117_thumb.jpg[attach

ment=240892:june_10_089.jpg]post-36964-1250593660_thumb.jpgpost-36964-1250593793_thumb.jpg

post-36964-1250593289_thumb.jpg

I was going down this path, bought the parts and all and thought to myself is it really worth it? The upgrade starts getting pricey.

I want to save some money so I am just doing a full service on the brakes including good quality acre pads and dot 5 fluid, new adr braided lines, new cusco master cylinder and new front slotted DBA rotors with machined rears. Got to remember that the stag is 10 years + now and the rotors have seen better days.

The brakes should be alot better for just street use. I think "Tangles" has a good write up on this subject. He has a decent powered stag and still uses standard brakes. I have a 100k service coming up and I know that my stag would appreciate where my priorities are!

With the extra money I was going to spend on a GTST brake upgrade, I am able to also buy a oil relocation kit, some splitfire plugs and RB coilpacks for my major service. I think that when the stag gets some decent power behind it (200-230awkw) I might entertain this thought again.

Edited by dirtyRS4

Ok so my brakes turned up yesterday.

i had a look last night and the fronts should fit .

can some one confirm for me if 33 gtst rears will fit , i didnt have time to check last night.

i got the whole lot front disc , rotors and pads. Rear rotors disc and pads all for $700 wich isnt bad.