SAU Community

Fuel

SXY_33

Hey Guys,

Just a question about the United Premium 100 fuel. I understand its a Octane 100 with 10% ethanol. does anyone know how this would compare with BP ultimate. I've only ever used BP. but we dont have octane 100 at BP in adelaide. Only 2 days ago did i notice this United stuff.

anyone use it... recommend it...

thanks

Adam

Its debatable. It produces less chemical energy however it burns more effcienty (resisting knock). Unless its cheaper or you can tweak your ecu I wouldnt even bother distinguishing between the two at the bowser

shit i actually filled up with it yesterday, n i thought i could feel a difference.

had my car dyno'd n im goin back in a few weeks to change some stuff so ill def go with BP. im interested to see the difference.

and yeah it was actually cheaper.

I would never put ethanol blends in my skyline. Or any stuff from a crappy looking United servo... they're usually privately owned small operators and I wouldn't trust them to keep clean fuel.

With BP you know they have a high turnover so the fuel is never old plus they won't mix shit in like water to make a quick profit because the operators know BP would hang them by their balls if they were to damage to their brand's reputation. Also BP refines their petrol to 98RON, it doesn't add chemicals to it to make it 98 like Shell, United and the rest.

I wouldnt go blowing the trumpet for BP fuels. I dont think the fuel they sell is any better than any other brand. I have heard plenty of stories of cars running like crap on BP...do a search, I am sure you will find a few on here even

Having worked for an oil major for 15 years [but no more] I can tell you that in any particular state you mostly get the fuel from the refinery located in that state or imported fuel.... so:

Perth: almost exclusively BP fuel in every service station refined at their Kwinana refinery except Gull who import from Asia

Adelaide: Mobil fuel from Mobil refinery Altona in Victoria or Shell fuel from Shell Geelong

Melbourne: as per above PLUS fuel imported from Asia

Sydney: Shell fuel from Clyde and Caltex fuel from PLUS fuel imported from Asia

Brisbane: Caltex and BP fuel from their respective refineries PLUS fuel imported from Asia

Darwin: Everything is from Asia

Australia's refineries are piss ant by world standards and 1 refinery alone in Singapore (Shell Bukom for example) is bigger than all the refineries in Australia. As demand for motor spirit now pretty much exceeds local supply nearly every capital city market is supplied with some imported motor spirit. Sooooo, forget the alleged differences, the marketing hype and the performance improvements you believe you see from one type to another. Most often they are all the same product and as for octane, octane costs money and every refiner cuts the octane so that it just meets standard, to do anything else is just quality give up.

Having worked for an oil major for 15 years [but no more] I can tell you that in any particular state you mostly get the fuel from the refinery located in that state or imported fuel.... so:

Perth: almost exclusively BP fuel in every service station refined at their Kwinana refinery except Gull who import from Asia

Adelaide: Mobil fuel from Mobil refinery Altona in Victoria or Shell fuel from Shell Geelong

Melbourne: as per above PLUS fuel imported from Asia

Sydney: Shell fuel from Clyde and Caltex fuel from PLUS fuel imported from Asia

Brisbane: Caltex and BP fuel from their respective refineries PLUS fuel imported from Asia

Darwin: Everything is from Asia

Australia's refineries are piss ant by world standards and 1 refinery alone in Singapore (Shell Bukom for example) is bigger than all the refineries in Australia. As demand for motor spirit now pretty much exceeds local supply nearly every capital city market is supplied with some imported motor spirit. Sooooo, forget the alleged differences, the marketing hype and the performance improvements you believe you see from one type to another. Most often they are all the same product and as for octane, octane costs money and every refiner cuts the octane so that it just meets standard, to do anything else is just quality give up.

Very informative!

Does Melbourne have a BP Refinery?

When I travel over the Westgate bridge, leading out from the city, I see a massive tank with BP ULTIMATE painted across, in an industrial site...

I wouldnt go blowing the trumpet for BP fuels. I dont think the fuel they sell is any better than any other brand. I have heard plenty of stories of cars running like crap on BP...do a search, I am sure you will find a few on here even

What stories have you heard about cars running crap on BP? Ive only ever heard GOOD things...

Very informative!

Does Melbourne have a BP Refinery?

When I travel over the Westgate bridge, leading out from the city, I see a massive tank with BP ULTIMATE painted across, in an industrial site...

I've heard many times that they all share the same fuel, that one refinery creates the fuel and that gets pumped into nearly all the tanks in Melb.

Not 100% sure its true.

What stories have you heard about cars running crap on BP? Ive only ever heard GOOD things...

I believe there was a period of time there a few months ago when quite a few people ( including myself ) filled up with a " Bad batch " - maybe ? . That being said its probably every bit as good these days as any other of its competition

i use the plus ULP 94 octane in the missus car, have done so for well over a year. get reasonable economy. ran caltex 98 octane stuff for a few weeks and didn't notice a different to how it drove. fuel economy was a touch better but not enough to warrant running it all the time (10% cost difference for a 5% economy gain). i pretty much only run E10 fuel in the car and it runs fine. never had any issues with it. i also ran it in my magna and my other shit pulsar without any issues as well. know other people who run it with the same results. the biggest cause of E10 making the car run like crap is the fact that it actually cleans your tank/lines more than normal unleaded so all the crap in your tank and lines ends up blocking your fuel filter (and injectors if it happens to get past the filter, although it will soon clean this out as well). generally if you put a new fuel filter in before running E10 and then change the filter after running a few full tanks (letting it get reasonably low before filling up) through it you won't have any issues.

and bradmax is spot on about what fuel is sold in what states depending on what companies have a refinery there. i know that in town all the privately owned servo's (other than the united) are either BP or caltex. we don't even have a shell or mobil servo in town.

most of our local servos are Mobil, but only one sells 98 octane fuel @_@.

I used to change the fuel filter regularly in the VN since they are such a piece of piss to change, and I'd originally thought that maybe all the crap in teh tank had filled it. I just couldn't explain how it would struggle to start with 20 bucks of plus ulp in, but run it down and put 20 bucks of Ultimate etc in it would be fine. I've had to use the United 98 in my R32 a couple of times in emergencies, apart from making the fuel consumption even worse it didn't seem to do anything too dramatic.

I've run a few cars with BP Ult and noticed a difference in performance, its depends on the car... with turbo'd cars I guess its just common sense what to run in it.

Mazda 929 1985 model, better economy and power

1995 Falcon, better economy

180sx ran premium once emergency lol straight to BP Ult servo

WTB: Your choice of fuels!! we get absolutely frak all up here in Gladdy. We have a BP that doesnt sell ultimate, a Shelll with no driveway left (digging the tanks up after 40+cars had engine failure after they filled up there) a Mobil that sells Premium something or other and not much else. :D