SAU Community

Any Way To Remove Factory Oil Cooler From Rb25det

Yeah it was one of the first things I done to the car. Rates ups there with HICAS :down:

Also if you go that way with the RB20 mount it doesn't have provision for the oil pressure sender. Fortunately there is a tapped thread for it already on the block right below where it is positioned on the heat exchanger. I had to get a fitting from an engineering shop because the diameter of the oil pressure sender is too big and it was fouling on the webbing running down the block. It needed to come out just slightly to clear it (my oil pressure sender is a bit bent though. Somehow :P ).

No biggie, just get a brass male and female adaptor 1/8"x1/8" bspt I think was the size. Then you can remove the plug in the block, fit the adaptor then screw your oil pressure sender into that and you're away.

where is the pressure sender on the rb20??

My RB25 sender fouled by bugger all. I think it was slightly bent at the thread, maybe it took a knock from something??

I could have got a die grinder in there and taken some material off the block, it didn't look like it would take much but it was easier to just get the $1 fitting. :P

I would suggest just trying your sender straight in the block and if its not going to happen grab an adaptor fitting.

geez guys the answer has already been posted twice, you can just use an rb20 mount, it doesnt have a heat exchanger, the oil press either goes intot he side of the block like an rb20 or into your sandwich plate.

or you can remove the whole thing unscrew the locator for the standard mount and put in an rb30 item which has a thread on it, the block gets in the way if you want to run a sandwich plate this way so you either screw the filter straight on or use a relocator kit.

and then just run new coolant lines to bypass the heat exchanger

• 9 years later...

Hello

I appolagise for reopening such an old thread but cannot find the I formation I'm looking for anywhere. 

I have an rb25det and want to remove the factory oil cooler and put my oil filter directly to the block but in order to do that i need to fi d what the thread size and pitch is for the oil filter stud that the factory oil cooler slides onto. 

I need the thread size and pitch for the threaded part of the stud that goes into the engine block. 

Any help would be brilliant. 

Thank you so much in advance. 

images.jpeg

Go to  Nissan dealer and get the stud from an RB30 in an R31, or go to a Holden dealer and get the same stub from an RB30 in a VL Commodore. The Nissan part number is 15213-W040A (which took me about 2 seconds in a Google search).

2 minutes ago, CenterLink said:

Hello

I appolagise for reopening such an old thread but cannot find the I formation I'm looking for anywhere. 

I have an rb25det and want to remove the factory oil cooler and put my oil filter directly to the block but in order to do that i need to fi d what the thread size and pitch is for the oil filter stud that the factory oil cooler slides onto. 

I need the thread size and pitch for the threaded part of the stud that goes into the engine block. 

Any help would be brilliant. 

Thank you so much in advance. 

images.jpeg

You do know they are for bringing up your oil temp from cold start, which is a good thing.

They actually don't do alot for cooling your oil, there is some cooling but its minimal, nor do they really effect coolant temps.

I've installed one on my 86.

Why do you want to remove it.

I thank you for your reply but that's not what I am looking for. 

I can buy a thousand of these for even more places and I found that in half a second of searching. 

I want to know the thread size and pitch of the insert. 

Now if you can find that In 5 seconds then that's differant and I will appolagise for waiting peoples time. 

That is the only thing I want to know. 

Not where to buy one or what it looks like or anything other then the thread size and pitch. 

Thank you

Mir 

Hello

I do understand what your saying as they are also for creating your oil pressure. 

But I have a full oil cooler with oil temp thermostat aswell as pressure valves to create the restriction required to make the oil pressure. 

This is not a standard engine. Far from it and because of this the factory set up just is not sufficient and my modifications and upgrade of the system is surely needed. 

Thank you

1 minute ago, CenterLink said:

also for creating your oil pressure. 

But I have a full oil cooler with oil temp thermostat aswell as pressure valves to create the restriction required to make the oil pressure.

Um no.  Just no.  Wrong.  Nothing to with "restriction" or creating oil pressure.

They are a heat exchanger.  Only a heat exchanger.  Nothing more.  They are for bringing the oil up to temperature faster (largely for emissions) and for moderating the worst of  high oil temperatures.  That's all.  Your ideas about pressure are, odd, to say the least.

I'm not going to google it for you, but there would have to be at least 50 mentions of the thread size and pitch on these very forums alone.

• Haha 1

What is it with you people. 

I ask a simple question about thread pitch and size and not one of you have any clue so your bringing up stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with my question so you persist on trying to push you opinion onto others and then put them down for having a differing opinion. 

As for the oil pressure.

Well I guess your one of the intellects that think oil pressure is created from the oil pump. 

The oil cooler has 2 spring ball bearing passages that are there to greater back pressure in the oil system which is set at the factory. 

They create restrictions that effect oil pressure. 

Also now unlike you I found this out by playing around with it with removing 1 and then 2 of the ball bearings and noticed a dramatic decrease in oil pressure that diminished to a 3rd when both bearings were removed. 

I know by doing and see the effects for myself. Not by guessing or looking it up on the net and believing it because it's on the net it has to be true. 

No frankly I'm not on here to cop crap from people about something that has nothing to do with my original question. 

If you dont know then dont comment. 

I dont need or want to be converted to your way of thinking or be put down because of this. 

So does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the threaded part of the insert for the factory oil cooler. 

THANK you

With a oil to water heat exchanger on my 86 (off a forester) my oil temp from cold comes up about 5 minutes quicker.

No noticable changes to operating coolant temp or oil temp.

As I am super anal about ensuring my oil temps are at the correct operating temp, about 100°c before I lean on a engine (I like my bearings), this means that my temps are good to go for thrashing the bejesus out of the car after about 5 minutes of driving.

Or is that just me...

• Haha 1

You do realise I have as stated an rb25det. 

Not a Subaru motor of a Toyota motor. 

The oil cooler from an rb to what you have on yours are for from the same thing. 

Do you know the thread size and pitch of the threaded part of the insert. 

Thanks all I want to know. 

• Haha 2

I still ran the heat exchanger on my 25 when I had it, it had no issues with oil pressure, I will admit when I had a 25/30 built I didn't have one though, that had oil pressure issue.

And no, I have no idea.

Have you tried google?

?

Bro, they are there to bypass the filter should it become blocked. Good luck on your journey of knowledge.

You realise there is an oil pressure regulator as part of the pump which sets theax pressure?it isn't done in the filter housing area. Pressure is caused by restriction to flow, the restriction being caused by the bearing clearances....

• Like 1

WARLORD

I fully agree. 

It's actually quite pathetic when you cant hop onto a forum dedicated to helping people with in a community of people with the same interests with out some keyboard warrior getting on here and making you out to be a complete moron because they cant answer your question so they degrade to putting you down or making your idea sound stupid.

This kind of behaviour is exactly the reason why 99% of the posts that show up in searches are from between 6 to 10 years old. 

Because you cant get a straight answer for a simple question with out morons opening there mouths and making comments about something they quite obviously have very limited to no knowledge of. 

I'm talking about an rb25det and I have someone with a 86 of all things that has a part on it from a differant vehicle and that both are not in any way other then a part used un an oiling system any similar to what I have. 

None of these are even in the same league as my r33. They couldn't keep up with it if I had my foot on the brake pedal. 

SAU Is SKYLINE AUSTRALIA 

Not 

Subaru toyota mix matched factory ricer tuner wannabes. 

Reminds me of the bloke with the white hat on YouTube who decides to plead the 5th when asked where he drifts. 

• Like 1