SAU Community

R35 Gtr Or F360 F1?

N/A®

If money no object go the Ferrari...however the reality is the R35 GT-R is a much better and much faster car, hell it probably turns more heads too. Engine note goes to Ferrari, but the GT-R sounds the dogs bollocks too once a good mid pipe installed.

I have family and friends who have owned Ferrari's and they have all been short term affairs, as they are often too impractical and too fragile to drive much of the time. They look gorgeous and sound great, but the upkeep is prohibitive. Ever wonder why they only do 3,000-5,000km per year?

...and I say all this coming from an Italian background and as an AVID supporter of the Ferrari F1 team, a real 'Tifosi'. I live and breath Ferrari, but the 360 is way out of its depth next to an R35 and from a couple of Ferrari mechanics I know, more troublesome than say an F355. The 360 will be a novelty for a while, but the reality will kick in, the GT-R will be something truly special that you can keep for many years and I believe will have MUCH more significance in supercar history...and as many people point out, the GT-R will be more exclusive too.

GT-R for me.

I dissagree, if money is no object i would take the opposite view to you, the GTR in 10 years will be worth (well here in australia) what about half of its current price? even less maybe, we will see how it goes but looking from the R32 gtr's thats the only thing we can compare to.

The 360 has already lost most of its value, i still think the 360's here in australia in another 10 years will be worth about $100k (look at every other ferrari model in history in OZ) then usually they stay at that price for another 20 or so years, then the bastards go up in price lol. By the time the 360 goes up in price, the GTR would have probably been traded in for $500 scrap metal (unless it becomes a rare collectors car like the gt falcons and SL5000 Toranas)

Its almost impossible to predict what the car market will do in 10 20 30 years time, but what ever happens the ferrari will be a safer bet.

If money is no object get both, but get a brand new ferrari instead of the 2001 lol

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SaME choice here in sydney, i was looking at r35's and i was astonished when i foound a few 360's cheaper than a new R35. I went Maserati instead lol, even better value for money, only prob with the ferrari and maserati is there not the most comfortable cars around, so if you want to drive it around quite regularly and on long trips, i'd say get the R35, but if its to impress, or to have an amazing looking / sounding car and you want to be the centre of attention, go for Italian super cars instead. (but if your taller than 6 foot 3, you will have a fun time trying to fit into italian engineering)

The daily driver part of the R35 certainly is appealing to alot of people i'm sure, and its why you see so many porche's driving around as they are great daily driver cars. Its certainly one of my favorite parts of the GTR just using it as a daily car. Nice work on the Maserati my neighbor has one, they are beautiful looking supercars. I would of thought they too would be a good daily driver car like a Porche, why are they not comfortable? the suspension too hard? No luxuries inside? The GTR is a little stiff suspension but nothing too hard.

NAh its just Italian lol, like the fire wall isnt the best and when you are driving the car without air con, the cabin will heat up because of the engine heat, the seats are one of the worst in the world by my standards, i have no idea why they thought that seat design is good, if you sit in it for a long drive, say 3 hours or more, you start to get pains in your back and legs. And i'm not the only one, my mum, dad, gf and people in online forums all say it, but thats the price you pay to own such a car.

Its not a bad car to drive, its far from bad, its beautiful, but it does have its usual super car flaws in it lol. Next car is DB9, i think they are the SEX

NAh its just Italian lol, like the fire wall isnt the best and when you are driving the car without air con, the cabin will heat up because of the engine heat, the seats are one of the worst in the world by my standards, i have no idea why they thought that seat design is good, if you sit in it for a long drive, say 3 hours or more, you start to get pains in your back and legs. And i'm not the only one, my mum, dad, gf and people in online forums all say it, but thats the price you pay to own such a car.

Its not a bad car to drive, its far from bad, its beautiful, but it does have its usual super car flaws in it lol. Next car is DB9, i think they are the SEX

Keep in mind however that the model of Maserati that you are driving was developed almost 10 years ago. They have done a lot of work since then and improved their product. Hell the new GT is almost as good looking as the Astons.

data.jpg

The interior has progressed immensly, it is more in the class of the AM's than a true dedicated sports car now and has the interior to match. I am not sure how you can compare the Maserati against a Ferrari as one is a pure performance beast and the Maserati is a Tourer with a sports twist.

The compromise you have in the seats could be due to the age of the car and no so much the brand as the ones I have driven in have been great.

I agree with you on the Astons they are pure SEX, it will certainly be my next car, and the GTR will be relegated to track work only, and those awesome drive days up the putty road.

Cheers,

Gibbo.

I dissagree, if money is no object i would take the opposite view to you, the GTR in 10 years will be worth (well here in australia) what about half of its current price? even less maybe, we will see how it goes but looking from the R32 gtr's thats the only thing we can compare to.

The 360 has already lost most of its value, i still think the 360's here in australia in another 10 years will be worth about $100k (look at every other ferrari model in history in OZ) then usually they stay at that price for another 20 or so years, then the bastards go up in price lol. By the time the 360 goes up in price, the GTR would have probably been traded in for $500 scrap metal (unless it becomes a rare collectors car like the gt falcons and SL5000 Toranas)

Its almost impossible to predict what the car market will do in 10 20 30 years time, but what ever happens the ferrari will be a safer bet.

If money is no object get both, but get a brand new ferrari instead of the 2001 lol

Yes there is the depreciation factor, but the 360 WILL break on you, no ifs, no buts, bills of $10,000, $20,000, $30,000 are not unheard of either. My cousin spent $10,000 per year on his 348 TB over 3 years, he went a BMW 330Ci for 7 years, zero trouble and just bought a Maserati Gran Sport Demo. Amazing value for money, 2006 model, 3,000 kms bought last year for circa $160K. It's a nice car, but to be honest the interior looks very much like an Alfa and I find the styling a bit soft, especially since it doesn't have the 'boomerang tail lights' (which looked fantastic IMO). I think the R35 has much more presence and dare I say style. The new Maserati GT looks absolutely horn...but it's relatively slow and $300K on the road.

Yes there is the depreciation factor, but the 360 WILL break on you, no ifs, no buts, bills of $10,000, $20,000, $30,000 are not unheard of either. My cousin spent $10,000 per year on his 348 TB over 3 years, he went a BMW 330Ci for 7 years, zero trouble and just bought a Maserati Gran Sport Demo. Amazing value for money, 2006 model, 3,000 kms bought last year for circa $160K. It's a nice car, but to be honest the interior looks very much like an Alfa and I find the styling a bit soft, especially since it doesn't have the 'boomerang tail lights' (which looked fantastic IMO). I think the R35 has much more presence and dare I say style. The new Maserati GT looks absolutely horn...but it's relatively slow and $300K on the road.

Ya good point,

Also Boomerang tail light FTW!!!!!! They should have made that there signature tail lights....

Keep in mind however that the model of Maserati that you are driving was developed almost 10 years ago. They have done a lot of work since then and improved their product. Hell the new GT is almost as good looking as the Astons.

data.jpg

The interior has progressed immensly, it is more in the class of the AM's than a true dedicated sports car now and has the interior to match. I am not sure how you can compare the Maserati against a Ferrari as one is a pure performance beast and the Maserati is a Tourer with a sports twist.

The compromise you have in the seats could be due to the age of the car and no so much the brand as the ones I have driven in have been great.

I agree with you on the Astons they are pure SEX, it will certainly be my next car, and the GTR will be relegated to track work only, and those awesome drive days up the putty road.

Cheers,

Gibbo.

Yeah, the 3200's were released around 1998 i think (even though i picked this one up with 16k on odometer and its just over 6 years old), but it still uses the 1998 interior and technology.

Nah seats are in almost prestine condition, there just uncomfortable, they look nice but they just.... hard to explain.

The new ones (4 door mazas) are nice though, they look like my dads merc inside, but alittle faster. Still for that money thats DB9 country and you'd be crazy not to get an aston if you had to decide

The 360 has already lost most of its value, i still think the 360's here in australia in another 10 years will be worth about $100k (look at every other ferrari model in history in OZ) then usually they stay at that price for another 20 or so years, then the bastards go up in price lol. By the time the 360 goes up in price, the GTR would have probably been traded in for $500 scrap metal

Hmm.. so right now I should be able to get me a R32 GTR for $500 then..

Having looked at carsales.com I see theres some 99/00 Modenas going for less than the price of a new GT-R..... I bought a GT-R. Having found this out I still don't regret that decision...

Post purchase dissonance? :P

If I bought a Modena it'd be for looks more than anything. To me that car has something of a timeless design to it...I can't flaw the appearance.

Hmm.. so right now I should be able to get me a R32 GTR for $500 then..

dont think you added up properly, i said in another 20 years, from now, basically equals 40 years old by then.... but it could go either way, it can become a classic, or it will just be scrapped

This thread is a little dumb, the two cars are not even comparable - and Ive driven both.

The Ferrari 360 is a lovely little pose car. It looks 'nice' though not as nice as a 355, and performs adequately but will still struggle to match a current SS Commodore in a side by side run....so you dont buy it for performance, as it really doesnt have much. Still its a Ferrari.

GTR on the other hand is the Ugly Betty of Supercars. Its big, bulbous, has no cred to the Latte set, but will wipe the floor with anything you care to benchmark it against at any venue in any conditions. Still its a Nissan.

As they say - Fiat for show, Datsun for a pro :P

Post purchase dissonance? :D

If I bought a Modena it'd be for looks more than anything. To me that car has something of a timeless design to it...I can't flaw the appearance.

Dissonance? Not in the slightest Birds!! Don't feel even the slightest unease over purchasing the GT-R over any other secondhand car in the same price bracket. I'm am totally rapt with the car and love it. My brother, who is much like me, has a 997 911 Turbo and I'm sure he would have bought the GT-R over it if it was available when he obtained the 911 in Easter 07, he simply went and bought the fastest thing he could get for the money back then. I've never purchased cars for pose value or styling over substance. Always purchased purely on a bang for buck performance basis. Had STi's for the past 10 years so that speaks for itself. Compared to them the GT-R is the sexiest thing on the planet!! If I had so much money it's value was meaningless to me, I'd probably have a 458 Ferrari or GT-2 Porka over a GT-R but since I'm not in that situation I always go for the best value for money. On top of that, my car is a daily driver and a warranty on a reliable car plays a major factor in a purchase decision when the alternative would be something that is significantly slower, temperamental, out of warranty and would probably cost an arm or a leg to keep running.

Ya good point,

Also Boomerang tail light FTW!!!!!! They should have made that there signature tail lights....

Saw a 3200Gt with those tail lights a couple of weeks back, magnificent!...you can blame the American market for the more conventional block style lights!

This thread is a little dumb, the two cars are not even comparable - and Ive driven both.

The Ferrari 360 is a lovely little pose car. It looks 'nice' though not as nice as a 355, and performs adequately but will still struggle to match a current SS Commodore in a side by side run....so you dont buy it for performance, as it really doesnt have much. Still its a Ferrari.

GTR on the other hand is the Ugly Betty of Supercars. Its big, bulbous, has no cred to the Latte set, but will wipe the floor with anything you care to benchmark it against at any venue in any conditions. Still its a Nissan.

As they say - Fiat for show, Datsun for a pro :D

Agree 100% about the F355!, To the credit of the 360 Modena it was very fast for its day (1999-2003), I think to dismiss just as a poser's car is abit unfair......but obviously times have moved on, the modern day equivelant is the F430 and of course that is about to be replaced with the 425kW 458 Italia which im sure you will agree is a pretty serious piece of kit.

The R35 the Ugly Betty??? naaaa!.

When I was at Nissan HQ on business earlier this year 'New GTR' (the red press car) was out the front, I thought it looked magnificent. I saw a guy and a Nissan rep hanging about...the gentlemen had ordered one and it was being shown to him by the Nissan rep. The guy rolled up in an an E55 AMG and told me he cancelled his Porsche 911 to buy the GT-R,(!) so I reckon even the 'Latte set' (if you like to use that term!) are not impurvious to the GT-R's looks and are not oblivious to the levels of quality and engineering that's gone into it. You would know better than me Martin, but as is evidenced here, many GT-R buyers also seem to own Porsches, Lotus and other European metal.

That said from what I see, previous GT-R & Skyline models tend to be owned primarily by Nissan enthusiasts, esp the kitted up versions with the 'HKS' and 'Veilside' stickers down the side, I think the market has widened considerably with the R35. :)

Having looked at carsales.com I see theres some 99/00 Modenas going for less than the price of a new GT-R..... I bought a GT-R. Having found this out I still don't regret that decision...

...i wouldn't either, nothing touches GT-R for value for money, as i said there will be an initial buzz with the Ferrari, they are just beautiful cars...but the reality is a 360 is no where near as good as the GT-R 9it's 2 generations old), after the novelty of seeing that prancing horse on the steering wheel wears off you have a car that you can't park anywhere, has questionable reliability, extremely high maintanace, poor ventilation, zero practicality & cannot shake off a HSV or SS in at a set of lights (or an Evo or STi for that matter)..& a weekend driver only.

What you have is something that used to be experienced only in $350K+ Porsches and other big dollar supercars. If you can afford a Ferrari AS WELL as the gt-r than good luck & congratulations!

Why are we knocking the 360 Modena for performance? Forgive me for being a paper statistician and favouring the acceleration statistic in particular, but these things are supposed to be good for 60mph in circa 4 seconds...hardly a slug even by todays standards. Properly driven it would easily dispose of every factory vehicle it came across bar other supercars which for most part would be on par with it. Comparing on aesthetics...it's each to their own. There's no point saying the GTR is ugly or it is beautiful...subjective opinions of aesthetics aren't really going to change that of the OP's opinion. I think the general consensus amongst the public would be that the 360 is a much better looking car...but obviously there are going to be a minority of people out there who find the GTR more attractive.