SAU Community

Cost Of A Vic Roadworthy Certificate?

KR4-GTR

Hi all,

I have tried searching the forums and im sure this has been covered before, so sorry if its a bit of a n00b question!

Anyway, im currently looking at buying a car from Melbourne.

Just looking for some clarification around the cost of a VIC Roadworthy Certificate?

And in this instance, who would normally pay for it - the buyer or the seller? Im presuming its normally the responsibility of the seller to provide the certificate anyway when selling.

Never bought a car from Melbourne before, so just want to know what to expect :D

The VIC roads site states that it varies per car, however looking for an average.

Have read around the place that its normally around $70, however in this thread i've found through google is states its gone up to $230??

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=319057

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi all,

I live in Sydney, however I am currently looking at buying a car from Melbourne. I just have a few questions about the transfer of registration - etc.

I have found the relevant forms on the VIC roads website, however from what i can tell - it will not allow the standard transfer of registration to me because im not a Victorian resident and do not have a VIC licence, which is fair enough.

Anyway - for those who have done it before -

What is the correct process? Where do I pay stamp duty - etc, Victoria or Sydney? What steps do I need to take with VIC roads to advise of transfer to me?

I don't want to cancel the registration because if I buy the car, I plan on driving it back to Sydney.

Then when I'm in Sydney, when I renew the registration, will I still be able to hand the VIC plates in to the RTA and get a refund on the remaining VIC registration? Or do I need to post them back to VIC roads with a letter?

Also, when re registrating the car in my name in Sydney, will the standard VIC roads registration transfer be enough? Or is any other information / receipts also required?

I will give both, VIC roads and the RTA a buzz during the week to clarify a few things, but would prefer feedback from you guys out there that have actually gone through the process and know it well!

Any advice or info would be appreciated :D

Cheers!

Edited by KR4-GTR

Hi guys,

Another quick question!

Im looking at buying a car from VIC.

As I will be driving the car back to NSW and having it re registered here, do I actually need to go forward with a VIC roadworthy certificate?

All the documents I read state that I need a roadworthy certificate before purchasing, and its even listed on the transfer papers? However they all appear to be documents for victorian residents selling to other victorian residents..

Anyway - the seller advised that I only need a roadworthy certificate if i will be re registering it in victoria.

Can anyone please clarify!? :D

Cheers!

If you're going to register the car in NSW, you'd need paperwork that RTA requires you to have (Blue slip or whatever colour there are) in order to register a car in NSW.

No point in getting the seller in VIC to provide you a RWC since you're going to register the car in NSW.

So, the seller is correct, RWC is for Victorian residents only.

If you're still unsure, best to ring RTA and ask, they should be able to answer your questions.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Only if they are selling the car rwc .. if they are not, then u are responsible and have 28 days to get the rwc after the seller has handed the papers to vicroads, if the seller is friendly he can withhold these papers until your rwc is obtained..not sure how legal this is, but it is possible.

A seller can however sell a car unroadworthy with rego, but you are not allowed to drive it until rwc is obtained.

Just depends on what arrangements you make.

Arent you subject to yearly roadworthy checks in NSW.. if so i would keep the car registered in vic as long as possible.. thus avoiding a yearly check..

Thats if u are allowed to of course..

If your going to drive it back to NSW, you either need to arrange with the current owner to send the plates back to VIC from NSW so that they can claim back the Rego, or if you buy it unregistered in VIC you will need an unregistered vehicle permit to allow you to drive it without plates for a few days back to NSW. I think that you will need a roadworthy to get that done.

KR4, a Victorian RWCert is useless to you if you registering the car in NSW.

The only reason you would ask for one to be provided by the seller is purely so you know the car is infact in roadworth condition at the time you hand over the cash.

when you bring it up to NSW you will most likely have to obtain a NSW equivalent to register in NSW.

as others have said, generally in VIC if you sell a car with REGO, seller provides RWC, if no RWC then the car is sold unregistered.

^^^ correct.. if he is wanting to sell he should pay and unless you get a racv check or something a rwc would point any replacement parts which will cost you $$$.. but if he supplies no RWC it is not unregistered.. as it is treated as an unregistered car in another state anyway when you go to register it..

and what nickcorr has stated is false.. you can drive the car with his number plates (as long as its currently registered) to NSW and can take the plates to the NSW transport and they can trade them in there.. you then present the receipt for vicroads (you don''t need to drive back there) and vicroads will issue you a refund on remaining days, etc.. then register in NSW as a newly registered car via. their rules

the car is registered to the seller untill the rego in vic is transferred. KR4 isn't transferring the car in Vic as he's said, the seller can be kind and allow KR4 to drive the car to NSW, KR4 will then need to send the plates back to VIC so that the seller can get a refund on his remaining rego.

then again, if the seller doesn't give two sh*ts KR4 can give him the cash and drive it till the rego runs out whilst the car is in the sellers name but then again thats the lazy way of going about it.

you can sign transer of ownership papers.. this releases the car to the next owner.. in which also covers them for speeding tickets etc.. then the plates can be taken to NSW transport.. (this is what i did when i bought a car from vic.. they give you a reciept for trading them in.. you then need to seek a refund from vic transport..

FYI all -

Just for the record and to clarify for anyone else asking the same question in the future - you do NOT need a VIC roads ceritificate if you will be bringing the car back and re registering in NSW. I have confirmed this with both - vic roads and the RTA.

FYI all -

Just for the record and to clarify for anyone else asking the same question in the future - you do NOT need a VIC roads ceritificate if you will be bringing the car back and re registering in NSW. I have confirmed this with both - vic roads and the RTA.

This is true, but as a seller you are best off getting the new buyer to fill in the transfer papers, buyer gets a copy and seller gets a copy, seller takes his to vic roads and from the date on those papers forward all fines will go to the new owner as gimps stated.

Also as other people have said if you are happy with the condition of the car then this method is fine, how ever if you get it back to nsw and find that there are worn bush's, shocks, springs and low brake pads and discs then you have to wear the cost of them, if you make the seller get a rwc in vic then all of these will need to be replaced to pass a rwc.

There are also some odd things i have found out, when i reg'd my daily 3 years ago it had a rip in the seat, on went seat covers and all was good, how ever i re reg'd it a few weeks ago and found out that if the seat is ripped it has to be re trimmed or replaced, although my guy let it pass as i got one of his mates to take the car to him for me, little things like this could make getting a vic rwc a very good thing.

Edited by W0rp3D

Makes sense mate, and is exactly why the deceiving seller was constantly pushing to sell me the car without the RWC.

Theres no way the big blue piece of shit would have passed.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=125BDCEEB420

whoops.. looks like i've 'accidently' dropped a link above for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by KR4-GTR

Makes sense mate, and is exactly why the deceiving seller was constantly pushing to sell me the car without the RWC.

Theres no way the big blue piece of shit would have passed.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/privat...id=125BDCEEB420

whoops.. looks like i've 'accidently' dropped a link above for your viewing pleasure.

What was wrong with it?