SAU Community

Rb25det Cam Timing

koduRB25det

I just finsh my head gasket replace. i use OEM head gasket with ARP studs. no prob going good.

but i got bit confuce abt the cam timing.

when i put back my cam gears i align all marks with back of the cam cover as well as the crank timing with the mark on the oil pump. when i put back the crank pulley, [0] orange mark want match with the the lover timing cover mark. and i have set the ing timing to 15 dig [useng timing light]. accoding to manual instruction. but when i put back the throttle sensor connector timing mark gos to 10 dig.

one more thing, when i rotate the CAS for aject the timing i can hear bit loud noice like TIC TIC . why is that..?

b4 i was not like that. pls see the photo.

just wonder whats the prob..? pls help

post-68136-1264325479_thumb.jpg

Stock timing is 15 deg, lots of people set it to 18, obviously with 98 ron, hard to tell difference, just slightly better fuel economy

The orange or yellow mark is TDC and each mark is 5 deg with the furthest being 30 deg advanced, Manufacturers dont stamp After TDC marks on pulleys

If ur cam gears line up with backing plate and ur crank gear lines up with oil pump, All is OK And

Then if u fit ur harmonic balancer/Crank pulley and its not lining up with timing belt cover marks

Assuming ur belt cover is fiitted correctly and the cam gears still line up

Your harmonic balancer/crank pulley is starting to separate, which means u need a new one..........And u will never be able know exactly what timing u are running

Edited by Dorifta

Thanks guys. today i chk again. I recon all marks are 100% match with cover. but the prob is still that TIC TIC noice is comming. when i advance the engine its too much. any body know any good workshop around westren sydney. thx

Stock timing is 15 deg, lots of people set it to 18, obviously with 98 ron, hard to tell difference, just slightly better fuel economy

The orange or yellow mark is TDC and each mark is 5 deg with the furthest being 30 deg advanced, Manufacturers dont stamp After TDC marks on pulleys

If ur cam gears line up with backing plate and ur crank gear lines up with oil pump, All is OK And

Then if u fit ur harmonic balancer/Crank pulley and its not lining up with timing belt cover marks

Assuming ur belt cover is fiitted correctly and the cam gears still line up

Your harmonic balancer/crank pulley is starting to separate, which means u need a new one..........And u will never be able know exactly what timing u are running

for the timing bit, yes stock timing is 15 degrees and should be set with the car in base idle mode as that locks the timing at 15 degrees. once you go out of base timing mode it is normal for the timing to alter as that is what the ecu does. it alters the timing at different rpms and loads.

as for the tic tic, when you say that you spin the cas, do you mean you have it out of the cam and are spinning it by hand but still have the wires plugged in, or are you meaning when you just loosen the 3 bolts off to alter the timing it is making the noise? it could just be that CAS is at a point where the sensor and the trigger inside just happen to be lining up and when you are rotating it is triggering an injector to fire (if the ignition is turned on). or is it happening when the car is running?

it happening while engine is at running as wel las the spining the cas.most of the time when the car starting and some times rev up as well

for the timing bit, yes stock timing is 15 degrees and should be set with the car in base idle mode as that locks the timing at 15 degrees. once you go out of base timing mode it is normal for the timing to alter as that is what the ecu does. it alters the timing at different rpms and loads.

as for the tic tic, when you say that you spin the cas, do you mean you have it out of the cam and are spinning it by hand but still have the wires plugged in, or are you meaning when you just loosen the 3 bolts off to alter the timing it is making the noise? it could just be that CAS is at a point where the sensor and the trigger inside just happen to be lining up and when you are rotating it is triggering an injector to fire (if the ignition is turned on). or is it happening when the car is running?