SAU Community

Hks 2.8 "step Zero"

rtune

Why would this bottom end be ANY different in the way it drives compared to say a Tomei or HKS step 1 or 2? It's the same 2770cc as the rest of then (2738cc for Tomei and 86.5 mm pistons). Nick, your going to have what seems like a nice head to stick ontop of the step zero and thats where the result will come from. Not the stroker kit itself.

Why would this bottom end be ANY different in the way it drives compared to say a Tomei or HKS step 1 or 2? It's the same 2770cc as the rest of then (2738cc for Tomei and 86.5 mm pistons). Nick, your going to have what seems like a nice head to stick ontop of the step zero and thats where the result will come from. Not the stroker kit itself.

Nowhere in my post did I say the Step Zero would drive any different to a Tomei 2.8 or HKS Step 1 or Step 2

I purchased the kit based on real-world results - Pretty simple, in fact the entire setup I am using has been spec'd out precisely for what I want it for.

Wow good call Nick

Good luck with building your setup, hopefully it ends up quicker than your big setup years ago which got spanked by shauns stock turbo'd R32 GTR.

Anyway enough of that-let's see results. If it turns out to be a good crank then great, everyone should buy one and good on you for trying something new.

Come on now Steve, whats with the ninja edit? Are you that childish and spineless you need to resort to such comments then pull your little dig straight away hoping it won't be seen? Very sad.

Now to entertain your comment, was there some sort of race I was part of and never knew? if so please do enlighten me.

I think the way you talk on this forum really leaves a bit to be desired sometimes, you are extremely quick to talk yourself up and talk others down. Unlike you so often do, I haven't talked up what I am doing, rather posted some facts as many are interested in this kit, and stated that while resarching what kit to use the Step Zero was a very attractive option. I am really looking forward to seeing how it performs, not to run my mouth, not to gloat, but because I am keen to continue enjoying my car at the track. My car isn't intended to be a horsepower hero, just a fun all rounder, and yes the HKS Step Zero is something new and fresh to market so it will be very interesting to see if it goes really well, or otherwise.

Time will tell.

Cheers!

Hahaha, that's great, yeah if you've conveniently forgotten when I was in your car and saw it happen - oh well that cant be helped.

I cbf'd arguing, simple as that. I'm not going to resort to insults either.

As I said; Good luck with the build, if it turns out to be good then great - hopefully more people will buy them.

I cbf'd arguing, simple as that. I'm not going to resort to insults either.

Smart move, last thing you would want to do is make yourself look more stupid, wait.

Results/ drive. Same difference.

What turbo's are you using again? I forget.

Im not having a digg Paul, but I don't think i said the Step Zero will provide different results to the alternatives either, rather the specifications that HKS has released for the Step Zero, combined with the results I have seen from cars overseas using the same kit, plus the price point make it seem a very attractive option so I am giving it a shot. I already have a new GT-SS kit sitting around at home so at least for the time being they will be going on so the whole thing should be very responsive, albeit not with massive power unless I eventually switch out the GT-SS's for something bigger (Highly likely)

Seriously Nick, what other motivation could there be other than the dollar factor for choosing this stroker kit over the others mentioned.

On paper it would appear to be an inferior crankshaft to the the other kits mentioned so unless they derive their 2.8 capacity from a slightly different bore stroke combo that is more suitable to your application ...or, You have your lips firmly around the appendage of someone from hks I fail to see how anybody looking to make 600 plus hp could even consider this kit over the likes of the nitto or tomei or the higher specced hks jobs.

Seriously Nick, what other motivation could there be other than the dollar factor for choosing this stroker kit over the others mentioned.

On paper it would appear to be an inferior crankshaft to the the other kits mentioned so unless they derive their 2.8 capacity from a slightly different bore stroke combo that is more suitable to your application ...or, You have your lips firmly around the appendage of someone from hks I fail to see how anybody looking to make 600 plus hp could even consider this kit over the likes of the nitto or tomei or the higher specced hks jobs.

Noel, obviously everyone has their opinion on the kit, and that is great - Nobody will really know how good or otherwise the kit goes until someone has one up and running.

I went for the kit based on the fact it was highly recommended by a well regarded HKS Pro Dealer in Japan, that has built a stack of very quick circuit cars over there using the Step Zero, and to my knowledge none of which have yet found fault nor limitation with the kit itself, all at or over 600PS. I am not an expert but did some of my own research as well following the recommendation and for the price I was able to pick the kit up for thanks to a few contacts, it appears it will deliver what I am after, reliably, at almost half the price of the Nitto 2.7 for example. For what its worth, as far as the whole cost thing goes, I was originally looking at the Tomei kit, but after the Step Zero was suggested to me, and after evaluating what I am planning on using my car for at this point its pretty hard to justify spending (in my case) an extra ~$3k on the crank rods and pistons alone if I was realistically not going to need it. I can't quite see why you are in such disbelief over my choice, its my car, and really no concern of yours whatsoever. Im not making claims or talking it up here, just sharing some info about what direction I am taking on my build, it really is that simple. If you don't like the kit, move along and leave this thread for those that are interested in it and want to know more.

By posting it on a public forum you made it a concern of every body who cares to read it.

Dont misinterpret what i said. I for one hope it works above and beyond. Its about time something reasonably priced came from japan. Given they manufacture bugger all and just rebrand other well known products Then add the jap tax.

its about time something like this came along.

wow, this thread got spicy. no need for the digs guys. nick is just sharing his build like everyone else and hasn't had anything negative to say about anyone else's product or set-up.

it makes perfect sense to me. he was simply saying that apart from the fact it's cheaper than all the other set-ups he has also seen excellent results from tuners using this gear in japan for cars that are far outside the parameters listed in the HKS spec sheet (GTSS, mild power, low rpm use). He's talking cars with bigger turbos, 600+ps, circuit use etc. if it can stand up to that it would make sense that for someone like Nick who wants it for a road car with small turbines it's going to be more than capable. and given the cost of buying a new nissan crank, some rods and pistons is the same (if not more) than the HKS kit it made good sense to give it a try.

I want to see how much power he can push from GTSS. I was planning to do it myself till I got sidetracked and went with Jun/Tomei stroker and 2530s. my plan was high revving 2.6, headwork to get more power per psi of boost (sacrificing a little response which I figured was fine considering the small turbos), match port everything on both exhaust and inlet, all alloy hard piping, big tomei dumps, twin 70mm front pipes into single 100mm exhaust, so basically no restrictions anywhere to allow the turbos to breathe as well as they could then wind it up past 25psi and see just whether or not 350kw was possible from them. Basically all the little 1% gains you can do that most people don't bother with. my hope was all of that stuff together would get me there but I really don't know.

and given the cost of buying a new nissan crank, some rods and pistons is the same (if not more) than the HKS kit it made good sense to give it a try.

Exactly what I was thinking and is why I think this kit is such a great alternative. I certainly hope to build a 2.8 in the future and with a mortgage and a child price will play a big part, hence why this would be my choice.

So in short this is a much cheaper 2.8 alternative that has a proven record with tuners in Japan. Correct??

Like Nick said to people who don't like the kit and think it is not a great idea, move along.

Is there any real benefit to a 2.8 kit. a 26 will bore to 2.7 so it seems like an awful lot of coin to tip in for an extra 100cc's ?

Its the stroke increase. Yes its only 4 mm, but they drive so much better.

So these 2.8 stroker kits are built on a standard bore ?

They are available with an 86.5 or 87mm piston - There are a few other details in the press release .pdf that Martin HKS posted above.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance here, What is the standard 26 bore ?

The line of questioning is going down the path to ascertain if a 2.8 kit could be punched out to 2.9 or thereabouts which would go as neas as hell to giving you the 3 litre without the grief.

So these 2.8 stroker kits are built on a standard bore ?

STD 73.7 mm stroke, 86 mm bore

Tomei 77.7 mm stroke, 86.5 mm bore (2738 cc), 87 mm bore (2770cc), 87.5 mm bore (2802cc)

HKS 77.7 mm stroke, 87 and 87.5 mm bore

You get the idea.

STD 73.7 mm stroke, 86 mm bore

Tomei 77.7 mm stroke, 86.5 mm bore (2738 cc), 87 mm bore (2770cc), 87.5 mm bore (2802cc)

HKS 77.7 mm stroke, 87 and 87.5 mm bore

You get the idea.

Question answered, Thanks Pigz.