SAU Community

Hks 2.8 "step Zero"

rtune

On the subject of buying tomei from the US, I got my Tomei RB26 dumps (new lost-wax type) for $540ish delivered when aud and usd was 1:1, alot cheaper than sourcing them from japan

That combo looks good TK80

never really heard of manley rods who makes them ?

Manley are a very old established and trusted name in the high performance world.

Been around forever, Or as long as I can recall and thats longer than most on here. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

just a quick question about this kit,

would this 2.8 step zero kit run 2530s with a power output of say 380 - 400 rwkw retain the same sort of response of say a built 2.6 running gtsss with 330 - 350 rwkw?, (same supporting mods)

im just guessing but it should acheive 380 - 400rwkw with 2530s right?

but are 2530s with that amount of power useless with the rev limiter set at 7500-7800 for reliability sake as hks have recomended?

just interested to know if a 2.8ltr with 2530s can be built to out perform a 2.6 with gtsss in any and all areas . (mainly response)

also beer baron, what are the prices involved in sending a whole built motor to australia from japan if you dont mind me asking.

thanks

Edited by M.C Ren

it's not going to be quite as responsive as a 2.6 with GTSS. 2.8s are good but they are not magic. 2530s are quite a bit bigger. it will certainly out perform it off boost but in the midrange from say 3,000 to 4,5000 the GTSS 2.6 will be faster, but everywhere else the 2.8 with 2530s will be better. from 4,500 up the 2530 2.8 will be piling on the power.

cost of shipping an engine depends how you do it. if you just want to send consolidated cargo expect about $500 for freight and about $400 in port costs/charges/AQIS/clearance costs. otherwise you can share space in a container with someone, or you can send it via TNT etc. I'd say around $800 is reasonable for an engine.

thanks for that, 8-900 on shiping isnt too bad considering as you said the workshops up there can throw one together fairly quickly and save some cash on labor, to source parts seems like it would be much easier too, cheaper parts and quite exciting at the same time. all i need is the time to spend over there, the money and a ticket hehe, maybe sometime down the track, untill then, might have to keep it local...

i cant wait to see what this 2.8 with gtss goes like, how is it coming along blitz

nice user name M.C Ren!... give Chris at Racepace a call for a quote before you go sending cash OS for a motor... if you get one crated from over there and something goes wrong you won't have a leg to stand on... Racepace do some beautiful 2.8's

hehe yeah its been my nickname for years, im not looking at this moment but i have sent my car to ben before, it was on my last car and has been over 5 years now but i would definatly go there again,

it was more out of interest as it has always been a dream of mine to do what the beer baron has done. one day... but if something does go wrong, your %100 right

yeah agreed even if you have the most understanding and helpful workshop in japan if you get the engine here, isntal it and something aint right you are pretty much on your own. even just purely because sending the thing back and forth would negate any 'warranty' saving anyway. so yeah you need to have your eyes open. I've done a couple now where I had them built in japan and then shipped out here and I've also done 3 cars of mine where I had the engine built and then installed AND tuned in the car in japan (which is a safer way) and then imported the cars complete (2 X GTRs and 1 RX7).

would I do it again? yeah for sure. but there are plenty of good local options these days. it was just convenient in my situation that's all.

• 5 years later...

Hi guys, sorry for waking this thread up.

Any news on the HKS Step Zero build? Any success story? 

The Japanses have been using it, reaching 600-630ps with no issues from what I have read. However, nobody commented on the reliability and durability of the kit. I have the kit at home, together with a new N1 block. However, I'm very hesitant at the moment and trying to see people opinion, those who have used/driven the kit. The price of the new N1 block is doubled now, + I don't want issues later on, although I'm looking for 550-600 at the hub only. 

Appeeciae your feedback.

Ali

Speak to Anthony Maatouk of Maatouks Racing - I believe one of the GTR's in his stable is/was running HKS Step Zero

or maybe it was Jim from CRD. Cant remember but it was one of them :(

Edited by Sinista32
update
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Using  step zero in Bangkok ,Thailland , high Boost 2.1 bar with 734 whp /830nm. On e85 with Garrett gtx 3582 ( low boost @1.5 bar ,not sure for whp)

trackday (low boost) once a year for 3 yrs . Street use 3 days a week.(mostly low boost ) with no issues ,but my engineer told me last time (2 day ago )that may be this year I should consider to check everything because the engine sound is “different “ from the beginning .

for me , this step zero is totally worth for money .

4E93E7C0-674B-469A-A871-33A8B2484C2D.jpeg

93A309D2-5289-420B-BEFA-0C379DE986DF.jpeg

7603B170-3C70-4973-A59F-42A70AFF7681.jpeg

Edited by bnr34stepzero_Thai
  • Thanks 1