SAU Community

Rb25de (supercharged) Project

I will most definitely be taking videos of it when its all running. Probably when getting tuned too.

Lol you know we have lakeside now too. Not just QR!

Thanks robbo_rb180. Im sure that rb30 would have been nuts, even with the centrifugal type on it. Do you know what sort of power it made?

Amen TiTAN! The whole reason I went for the positive displacement type!!! ftmfw!

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies about lack of replies. I have since put the motor back in and had to change a few things. After a chat with Mike Vine a couple of weeks ago I decided to change the setup. Ive put a new 80mm throttle body in standard position and made up an adapter to hook up the z32 afm and pod filter back up in their standard positions. Doing this has simplified it all abit as there is less wiring and fiddly things to now do. Ive had to slow down to accumulate some more funds so I can buy the last of the stuff I need to finish it off. Which is just the rest of the exhaust and fuel system. Its all the fittings/hose I need to get thats going to cost abit, but hopefully have those within the week and then I just need some time when I'm not sick and can work on the car when its daylight!

The last couple of weeks have been painful as I've been sick every weekend, but come good just in time for work! :happy: But its pretty well home stretch time now. I will aim to do some work and take some pictures and do a half decent update sometime soon! Its finally getting there. Been pretty well four months now! Time goes so quick!

Cheers fellas! :banana:

Did some more on the exhuast system on the weekend until I ran out of gas :thumbsup: But I got a new bottle today and did some more. Ive spent alot of time getting it nice and high so I wont have to worry about my exhaust bottoming out on every speed bump. For the most part its all pretty well within the chassis rail height.

Just gotta fit the final rear muffler and then link up to it from under the sway bar! Then weld it all up and paint it.

Hopefully by the weekend ill be stuffing around with the fuel system!

The two 3 into 1 merge collectors go to 2.5" and then those two 2.5" merge into 3" and then ive got two borla 3" in/out XR-1 Multicore racing mufflers, one just before the diff under the fuel tank and the other will be at the end to replace my ricer cannon! I will take photos when finished.

Just some pictures from weekend of the finished exhaust system.

post-12828-1276686230_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1276686839_thumb.jpg

I painted them all black tonight, so they look all pretty. I didnt grab any pictures.

I went to tap the bungs for the egt sensors as well tonight and I broke both taps I had! The stainless bungs I machined must have been 431. I thought I grabbed some 304 :D . Anyway the taps didnt like it. Lol the first tap broke and it was a shitty branded item, got out the good one and then it broke. Now I gotta machine up some mild steel ones I guess and weld them on top!

Fricken still waiting on bits from Summit for the fuel system too! Been weeks and weeks....probs should atleast check the order status.

Edited by r33_racer

Do you have a pipe bender? or did you just go out and buy some bends? i am thinking about making a custom 3.5" catback for mine and im not sure what i will need in the way of bends.

need to post some video of what it sounds like with that system on it.

Not to many people keep a mandrel bender hanging around...

Everyone buys mandrel bends and welds them together.

btw if he had a mandrel bender, the pipes would probably be one piece.

J.

I do have a pipe bender. But it can only do press bends. I just got mandrel bends and some straight. I used 2 x 45 bends in 3" and about 2 metres of straight. I also used about 1metre of 2.5" straight and 4 x 45 bends 2.5". 2 used to make the 2 into 1 merge.

For a turbo system i reckon that you would need atleast 2 90's, 2-3 45's and 3m straight, thats assuming the turbo is high mount. For catback it would only be about 2-3 45's and maybe 1-1.5m straight. Depends on how many other mufflers you will have in the system.

I will defs be posting some videos. :)

Its friday wooooooooooooooooooooooooot! :dry:

I wish I had a mandrel bender! But I am lucky the guys next door to us at work have one. I have them to thank for all the bends I used to make the extractors and merge collectors.

Edited by r33_racer

i was thinking of just getting a doughnut or two and then chopping that as required as they are about the same price as a bend with more bend to them, all up inc overestimating required materials its about ~$1000 - 3m tube, 2 doughnuts, 2x custom mufflers (i know an off the shelf 16x11x8 will fit at the back but doesnt hurt to over estimate price), flanges and gaskets.

Didnt you say that your doing a cat back? That almost seems like enough to do a full turbo back system.

It cost me about $1100 all up for the materials to do my whole exhaust system. Thats including the mufflers, 3inch and 2.5inch pieces and the bends for the extractors. The head flange was a donation and I just reused the old hangers and flange. I was lucky to have some copper sheet that I was able to use to make new gaskets so I saved abit there also.

I reckon for a whole new exhaust system if you are doing it yourself $1000 is the number. You could probably do it cheaper if you went for lesser quality mufflers. But then if you were going to do it real schmick you would use v bands everywhere which would then blow the price out abit. My initial plan was to use v bands, but it would have added another $200-300! Screw that! If I had more time I would have just machined the weld on rings and just bought the clamps from a truck parts shop.

I can tell you there are so many things in these projects. Half of them you dont even think of until you come across it and when you make pretty well all of it yourself it is so damn time consuming. Everytime ive estimated when I would have something made or finished it ends up taking twice as long :P

Edited by r33_racer