SAU Community

Rb25de (supercharged) Project

So Dunc, did you see the picture of my electric hydraulic power steering pump?

Yeh, I know you are jealous :P Cost me $350 aus delivered from the U.S. I got incredibly lucky on ebay, beginners luck you could say.

Would you believe that no wreckers in this country that I could find had one. Brand new from Toyota was about $1400 from Japan. You can get brand new Mercedez Benz units for $1100 from the U.S.

Once I figure the mounting and wiring of it Ill post it up in here and in the electric power steering thread. Looks like Im going to mount in the passenger side corner near the windscreen wiper motor. First hand held mock up on saturday makes it look like a promising spot.

Saturday I was able to move my car into the shed next to the race car. Continued stripping stuff out and measuring some more. Its all changed again!

Ok so I pulled all the aircon out and old manifold/turbo setup. I can now use half the power steering and half the aircon bracket holes to put my mounting plate on. Its even easier now and I can lay the supercharger down horizontally, which means I can just use the oil bath tank in the front and not worry about running a feed and drain to the motor as per my original ideas.

New bracket revision.

post-12828-1267390230_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267390259_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267390269_thumb.jpg

Assuming ive got it sorted properly, I can send these off to get laser cut this week and then start welding them up! :P I will have braces across the top and bottom areas which I will just hand make and add in when putting it all together.

Hopefully next update will actually be the bracket being put together.

Finished drawing up the rest of the flanges and bits. Hopefully get them made this week inhouse on the CNC mill instead of getting them laser cut. Mill has become free, so im going to try and sneak in my stuff before actual paying jobs come through...

Just some more 3D models of the parts to be machined.

post-12828-1267524023_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267524076_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267524097_thumb.jpg

The inlet manifold flange will have, though not drawn atm, a taper across its depth that transitions from 72mm to 82mm to match up with the opening size in the greddy plenum where the throttle body usually bolts upto. The 72mm size to take a 3" pipe ontop which will be attached to i/c piping.

The discharge port flange will have a similiar thing done also, except it will transition from its triangularish shape to a 3" round hole over its depth so I can tig on a 3" pipe.

The supercharger inlet flange will basically have an oval section linking it to the new throttle body, hopefully maintaing the same size and shape from flange to throttle body flange so it doesnt restrict airfow to the charger.

Fingers crossed, by the end of the week ill have a working bracket that *might* hold the supercharger next to the block!

Edited by r33_racer

BAM! Got two done today!

post-12828-1267686747_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267686779_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267686867_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267686893_thumb.jpg

Hopefully knock over the rest tomorrow! Those two came out about ten times better then I had pictured.

Awesome Mike. cant wait to see the finished result. Will you be working on it over the weekend?

You better believe it Noel! Dad said you were coming round this weekend?

Sorry to hear about your loss too :down:

Will catch you on the weekend and you can see it in the flesh!

... ha haha, oh yeah- just knocked em out.

Nice one. Quality parts- if that's any indication, this SC install is going fantastic.

I think evryone has to keep a lathe, mill and cnc lazer cutter in they're shed!!!

Keep it up,

Justin.

The last two major pieces done today along with a few other small things which I didnt take pictures of yet.

post-12828-1267784330_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267785030_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267785696_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267785136_thumb.jpg

The steel one is the front face plate, and the trick looking one is the inlet to the supercharger :D

Edited by r33_racer

So after the weekends effort I got the bracket tacked together and it succesfully holds the supercharger nice and square to the block and looks pretty tough. However the intake to the supercharger will run into the engine mount. So now the blockside bracket needs to be re drilled to lift it all up about 10mm which should help clear the engine mount issue. That and the supercharger was only sitting above the chassis rail by a couple of mm.

Yesterday i had to run to work and back about 3 times before I could actually assemble the bracket, but due to my old mans welding helmet being broke I ended up doing it today as I had to go back to work and get my helmet. There was so much mucking around I nearly went insane. First few times I had to mill down the main front plate as it was too thick and then make a shelf/brace which links the front plate and block bracket together and acts as a shelf for the charger to rest on so it takes alot of the weight off the front bolts. Also had to go back twice to mill down the length of the blockside bracket as it was going to run into the belt. Finally after it all goes together nicely I now have to pull it apart to change it :thumbsup:

post-12828-1267946236_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267946322_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267946466_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267946647_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267946828_thumb.jpg

post-12828-1267946876_thumb.jpg

It takes a long time to get anywhere with custom stuff, especially by yourself. I was expecting to have the bracket fully finished on saturday.

What pipes are you gonna run off the head? kinda hard to see in the pics if there is enough room to run and off the shelf set of headers to fit...or will you make your own? (please say yes, i have yet to see a well designed set of headers for a skyline)

Looking the goods though....I wish i had the gear to do this :P

good work, and keep up the updates. I remember some earlier pics of the machines in your "other" shed and you are damn lucky to have so much custom fab stuff available....I bet they are invaluable for this job.

BTW very off topic...but are you racing the rb30 again this season?

good work, and keep up the updates. I remember some earlier pics of the machines in your "other" shed and you are damn lucky to have so much custom fab stuff available....I bet they are invaluable for this job.

BTW very off topic...but are you racing the rb30 again this season?

He better be Duncan, I want to kick his arse. :P

What pipes are you gonna run off the head? kinda hard to see in the pics if there is enough room to run and off the shelf set of headers to fit...or will you make your own? (please say yes, i have yet to see a well designed set of headers for a skyline)

Looking the goods though....I wish i had the gear to do this :P

Yeh will definitely have to fabricate a set of headers, though I dont know if they will be well designed as ive never made a set before, but ill be doing my research before I start. I should have taken some more shots showing just how little space there is left around the thing. But im thinking 2" primaries, with 2 x 3into1 collectors which go to 2.5" and then merge into a 3" which will then goto atleast a resonator and muffler and then probably another muffler where my cannon is now. Im expecting this thing to be quite loud and I want it to be sleeper quiet.

Yeh Duncan the other shed is actually the family business. Which is where I keep going to either use machines or raid material I need or get stuff made on the CNC's. It is very handy to have these machines available.

Yeh we will be racing the rb30 this season. We had a practice run at lakeside the other week, actually my old man ran it cause he likes lakeside. Seems to be a trend, old people and lakeside. Anyway in this motor we've put in total seal gapless rings. Whats happening, or so we are speculating is that the increased ring seal (which is netting us 170psi comp and 2% leakdown) at idle is increasing vacuum and its pulling oil down around the valve guides/seals or our other theory which to me seems more sound is that the ring end gaps on the second and third ring are way too loose(2nd =0.032" 3rd =0.038") and they arent doing their job properly. Basically at idle its burning alot of oil but as soon as its under load, she clears right up and is sweet until its back at idle. So we are pulling it out and down and changing over valve guides to new ones weve just made from phosphorous bronze and new stem seals and putting the std second and third rings that came with the pistons back on them. Then go racing with Noel :D

hangin out for this! :laugh:

People have SAID they were going to do it, but these people were all people without an idea in their head.

Now i wonder if that could possibly be somebody else who is a regular on this forum ....? :)

Now i wonder if that could possibly be somebody else who is a regular on this forum ....? :)

lawl. ^^^ that said thread got me 20% warning :laugh:

Edited by 32_Dave