SAU Community

Which Is Better.... S1 C34, S2 C34, S1 M35 Or S2 M35.... And Why?

Jetwreck

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm working on convincing my old man to get a PM35, so we can have the best of both worlds here at home.

I've owned my C34 s1 for over 4 years now, and I love every minute I spend in the car (unless I'm really tired, in which case the stiff suspension and heavy clutch are a bit of a pain).

But thanks to Ian (zei20l), I managed to drive an M35 about a year ago(?) and I have to admit that I loved it, despite the auto box. Very smooth, generally quiet until you give the throttle a good shove (then it makes a great sound), very refined and very modern in the interior.

I won't say that I don't prefer one over the other - making a choice really depends on what kind of driving I would be doing on any particular day. Long trips and just generally cruising around, I'd take an M35. Going for a thrash, track day or motorkhana, then my C34 has proven to be lots of fun - my favourite thing is suprising people with how well it goes out on the few odd track/khana days that I've been to.

This thread is gold ;) Its the one topic that everyone has an opinion on and will get fired up over. Although I've never driven a M35 I'd have to agree with what pixel8r said, it's a newer car, better tech, has more factory features, etc.

ps steve: manual S2 C34 are 4WD, I don't think you can get a RWD manual.

But I also think you can't group the C34 and M35 together and compare them, they are essentially 2 different cars, probably the only things they have in common are the name, Stagea, and the maker, Nissan. It's not like comparing the R series Skyline model where each is a clear succession of the last model. M35 and C34 don't share the same engine, same kind of body styling, etc So I don't see how they can clearly be compared to each other.

They only things that can be said are:

- C34 is an excellent base for heavy modification and has the "jap" sport wagon look

- M35 is good for basic bolt on modifications, but shines more as a luxury wagon that has "European" styling.

Edited by QWK32

Sorry I just think the M35 looks horribly tacky

I agree. Somehow VOLVO or Vulvo sneaked some Sweedish Whore into Nissan and cloned what turned out to be the M35.

Thats why Nissan pulled the plug.

for what its worth, I would not change my S1 C34 for any other model

rb30 with highmount turbo

3" zorst with highflow cat

front mount intercooler

power fc

manual

twin sunroof

leather interior

big towbar

cruise control

dvd/tv

bilstein shocks/eibach springs/whiteline sway bars

federal 595ss tyres

8 piston g4 front brakes

Nor I with my M35.

I enjoy the challenge of modifying something different. Eventually my car will have the engine it should have had, VQ35det. Unfortunately I cant afford a built 3.5 yet so my goal of 250awkw will have to do for now.

As a base for a modified performance wagon all models would be good as anything you don't like could be changed anyway.

A very interesting discussion this one! My two cents

The M35 is a decent looking car, a little more 'mainstream' looking than the c34, which makes it generally easier on the eye for the average Joe Bloggs. Obviously with newer tech throughout they are going to have a number of advantages (Minor or major, i wouldn't know) in most areas in stock form.

If I was to buy a car to keep as a stocker/lightly modified, the M35 would be the one.

The C34 is a funny old thing, I fell in love with the look of it at first sight, because it was truly unique (Something which I feel the M35 lacks as it tends to blend it with the crowd a little better, and a facet which appeals to me greatly) and I could see the potential lurking behind the stock panels. Now I like my cars sans flames and sans airbrushing, unique, practical, performance orientated, with good presence but comfy to boot, and for me, the C34 was the perfect base. Slowly but surely all of the 'interesting' factory features turn quickly from detractors to enhancers with the careful application of modifications (To my taste of course :D). What has emerged from this process for me is a reasonably aggressive and quick wagon, which should only improve as time goes on because of the serious aftermarket support for the C34 model, and the superior tried and tested knowledge base around the RB engine.

If i was buying now I would buy an M35 if I was planning on doing light mods (Wheels, kit, exhaust), and a C34 if I was planning on doing heavy mods (Did you know that you can get carbon/kevlar body panels for the C34 S1 and S2, every panel bar the bootlid!)

harts.

why would someone make a thread like this seriously....

BECAUSE it is meant to get people talking about what is GOOD abut their car.

Unfortunatly it seems many people have no idea about what is good about their own car and can only make stupid statements about the other being worse..............I love this thread as it makes people think hard about their own car.

A very interesting discussion this one! My two cents

The M35 is a decent looking car, a little more 'mainstream' looking than the c34, which makes it generally easier on the eye for the average Joe Bloggs. Obviously with newer tech throughout they are going to have a number of advantages (Minor or major, i wouldn't know) in most areas in stock form.

If I was to buy a car to keep as a stocker/lightly modified, the M35 would be the one.

The C34 is a funny old thing, I fell in love with the look of it at first sight, because it was truly unique (Something which I feel the M35 lacks as it tends to blend it with the crowd a little better, and a facet which appeals to me greatly) and I could see the potential lurking behind the stock panels. Now I like my cars sans flames and sans airbrushing, unique, practical, performance orientated, with good presence but comfy to boot, and for me, the C34 was the perfect base. Slowly but surely all of the 'interesting' factory features turn quickly from detractors to enhancers with the careful application of modifications (To my taste of course :spank:). What has emerged from this process for me is a reasonably aggressive and quick wagon, which should only improve as time goes on because of the serious aftermarket support for the C34 model, and the superior tried and tested knowledge base around the RB engine.

If i was buying now I would buy an M35 if I was planning on doing light mods (Wheels, kit, exhaust), and a C34 if I was planning on doing heavy mods (Did you know that you can get carbon/kevlar body panels for the C34 S1 and S2, every panel bar the bootlid!)

harts.

I totally agree....well said.....I know what your saying about seeing the potential behind the stock panels....I can still remember see my first fully kitted C34...I thought it was awesome.....even with the right set of wheels they can look great.

The M35's are a different kettle of fish.....I find that while sitting still they are.....well fugly....when mobile they seem to evolve into a tough looking wagon. Choosing body parts for the M35 is also very difficult as some of the kits out there can go a bit overboard.

In regards to the motor.....the a fully modded RB is fairly easy to get to as most of the parts are off the shelf(and the RB has been around for so long) The VQ25DET though....great motor but very frustrating....there are not a lot of performance part around for em....but we are working on that behind the scene(parts are coming)......I can on see the VQ25 developing a max of maybe 280kw's ATW's though....still not bad.

On the other hand the new Series two M35 Stagea(which you can also get in 2WD Manual) comes with the VQ35DE......and the sky's the limit in terms of engine performance.

Pity they stopped making wagons.....A M36 or M37 could have been awesome.....but it still would not be an RS260 aye :D

BECAUSE it is meant to get people talking about what is GOOD abut their car.

Unfortunatly it seems many people have no idea about what is good about their own car and can only make stupid statements about the other being worse..............I love this thread as it makes people think hard about their own car.

But if one car is better, be it the series 1 or 2 c34 or M35 S1 and 2, then the other car, whatever it may be may be must then be worse in that persons opinion.

C34 is as close as you can get to being perfect. The M35 is less.

how on earth is THAT the answer to the reason why nissan stopped production of the Stagea series??

i think the R35 is closer to perfect than any car nissan has ever produced

now THAT is a different argument!!! I'd say that the R32 GTR was far superior compared to the cars of the day compared to the R35 which introduces little if nothing new, and just adds cubes to try and make up for the weight. certainly not overengineered the way the r32 was as demonstrated by their chronic unreliability in tarmac rallies

how on earth is THAT the answer to the reason why nissan stopped production of the Stagea series??

We are talking WAGONS not cars.

But if one car is better, be it the series 1 or 2 c34 or M35 S1 and 2, then the other car, whatever it may be may be must then be worse in that persons opinion.

True...... But the challenge is can you articulate what it is about your favorite car that makes it the best. Are you objective enough to acknowledge the shortcomings of the same car because no car or wagon is perfect, they are all a compromise.

It is dead easy to slag off the cars you do not like but takes a lot more thought to really understand the strengths and weakness of your favorite.

True...... But the challenge is can you articulate what it is about your favorite car that makes it the best. Are you objective enough to acknowledge the shortcomings of the same car because no car or wagon is perfect, they are all a compromise.

It is dead easy to slag off the cars you do not like but takes a lot more thought to really understand the strengths and weakness of your favorite.

Wow, i repeated myself in my last post with the " may be's" haha. Stupid early mornings :D. I totally agree with what you just said andy65b. But since i have nothing more contructive to say, or incase this is grammically wrong, i'll stop posting to avoid making someone tag me as illiterate.