SAU Community

Polycarbonate Windows

phunky_monkey

Hey all, I'm thinking of grabbing some Polycarbonate windows from the UK while the exchange rate is so good, but was first wondering whether anyone had any experience with 'Platics 4 Performance' ( http://www.plastics4performance.com/default.asp ), or secondly, whether anyone has had them custom made here?

The rear 1/4 windows on the 180 are a bit odd so would be quite difficult to do I would think. The full kit is appealing, and is pretty reasonable considering the bulk of it.

Glass on the 180, for reference:

post-8405-1268349460_thumb.jpg

post-8405-1268349555_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dane

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day Dane,

I was looking into the same thing with the windows, and you can get ones that are direct replacement for you standard front side windows. They bolt into the window rail and go up and down just like factory ones. The mob in the UK have them and I think a supplier here in OZ was selling them on nissansilvia.com. (can't remember their name) They were asking something like $250 each though.

As an alternative, you can look at acrylic based perspex as a cheaper option. Just be aware that when replacing the standard glass windows with plastic, they may not seal as well against the rubbers. That's one downfall of frameless doors!

Try this guy also for quotes. www.plastix.com.au

I spoke to him awhile back and he said they will make anything including windows for cars. Can mould to any shape and cut to any size. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by nismoman

Thanks for the information Mark, much appreciated.

The guy on NS who sells them is TAARK, but at $250 each I'd much rather grab the kit for 1k AUD or thereabouts as I think the rear 1/4's and rear windscreen would be by far the more expensive items and slightly more difficult to have made up. I also don't mind if they don't go up an down as I'll be optioning them with the slots and getting a roof vent, and the car is no longer road registered.

I might speak with Plastix.com.au as well to get another quote and help confirm which way I'll go. Another part of the appeal from Plastics 4 Performance is that they do the black surrounds as per the stock glass, and can be purchased with a grey tint which looks pretty nice :cheers:

Troy: It's looking a bit sad at the moment mate, dented roof, no engine and dusty :laugh:

But I just put a fresh Carbon bonnet on it about 5 mins ago so it's getting better!

don't bother mate, plastic windows are dead easy to form on top of the standard window with a heat gun. you cut a rough shape, then lay the plastic on the standard window, heat until it shapes onto the standard one then mark and cut to fit. yes they end up out of shape by the width of the plastic but it should be no real impact for race car use (ie not a show car seal)

3mm or 4mm for framed windows like rear and 6mm for frameless if you want them to go up and down and seal(ish). You may have seen pics of Mark Berry's old 32 with too thin plastic flapping around in frameless doors

we went a little different and added ally frames to use 3mm plastic, was lighter all up. but fixed windows like rear 1/4 are dead easy.

Cheers Duncan, but I'm not sure if I'd trsut myself to be able to pull it off and still have it looking relatively neat (I'm a ricer at heart :cheers: ), but you've made it sound all pretty easy. Do you have any pics of your frames?

I have seen the image of the 32 with the windows flapping around. What is it that has caused that, apart from the lack of a frame? The NACA duct perhaps?

post-8405-1268623263_thumb.jpg

id be heading duncans way with the door windows. either make a aluminum frame for it or weld a bit of rod to the door with tags to give it a frame as such. ive seen this done numerous times. the advantage of doing it this way is that you can flex the perspex and secure it to the mounting tags rather than heating it because once you heat it it starts going out of shape and becoming blured/wonky to look through.

we run perspex on one of the circuit cars and it was done with a heat gun and its pretty wonky. it also has no frame and requires a strap to hold it in.

for the quarter windows ive been wanting to make up some carbon fiber pannels to replace them. if you sit in your car all strapped in have a look in your mirrors and moving your head and see if you can see anything at all through them. because of seats and cage ect both my quarter windows are useless. and hw cool would carbon look.

That's not a bad idea Troy, wonder if it would have enough velcro contact to keep it in place?

Damo: Thanks for the tips mate, I will keep it all in mind if I decide I'm going to tackle it myself. In the pic it looks like Russ's car has a strap on the top that must have come loose. As for the carbon windows, I know you can get them for a 180SX as I saw someone selling them a few years ago. Should have bought them! I can't see through mine anyway.

if you look at the pic of the 32 they ended up making a strap out of velcro that wraps around the cage. it had come off in that pic. something like that will help keep the top of the window in check.

do as the drag racers do.....nice little frame with tags and bobs your uncle. Im planning on doing my side windows soon.

the piece of 4mm i used for the rear window was $160

Pity I only have a half cage at the moment, but I'm sure I could work something out, and would be easier than making frames for a numpty like me :)

Drag style

All windows cost me under $400 tinted lexan with painted surrounds (lexan can be bent in half without breaking unlike acrylic)

Front 5mm clear lexan

All the rest 3mm tinted lexan

For the surrounds mark & cut the protective layer off & dust on 3 coats of acrylic paint (dont go heavy coats it will react)

Window frames are 3/8 mild tube from enzed instead of welding tabs i drilled & tapped the 3/8 tube

Used stainless nuts/bolts but switched to aluminium scrivets so fitting is a 1 person job

For a water tight seal i used 3mm x 25mm sponge rubber

For cleaning lexan/acrylic without scratching use plexus

Hope this is useful will knock over this job in a day.

post-15900-1268904774_thumb.jpg

Drag style

All windows cost me under $400 tinted lexan with painted surrounds (lexan can be bent in half without breaking unlike acrylic)

Front 5mm clear lexan

All the rest 3mm tinted lexan

For the surrounds mark & cut the protective layer off & dust on 3 coats of acrylic paint (dont go heavy coats it will react)

Window frames are 3/8 mild tube from enzed instead of welding tabs i drilled & tapped the 3/8 tube

Used stainless nuts/bolts but switched to aluminium scrivets so fitting is a 1 person job

For a water tight seal i used 3mm x 25mm sponge rubber

For cleaning lexan/acrylic without scratching use plexus

Hope this is useful will knock over this job in a day.

where did you get the lexan from?

Edited by -==L=a=N=c=E==-

• 2 years later...

Thread revival.

I was planning on getting the lexan window set from plastics4performance and wanted some advice.

Stick to thicker lexan on the door windows (5mm I think is the thickest) and thin (3mm) on rear and quarter windows?

Should I stick to the clear polycarbonate? What does grey polycarbonate look like?

I think I'll go for the black OEM border on the back 3 windows.

For ventilation I am thinking of either the NACA duct or pop it vents. Any advice? I noticed in the video above that the Advan R34 has 2 naca vents. Drivers side lookes like it drew air in and passenger side looks like it lets air out. Does this work well?

http://www.plastics4performance.com/Lexan--Makrolon--Perspex-race-and-rally-windows-and-window-kits/NISSAN---Lexan--Makrolon-polycarbonate-windows/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R32/Polycarbonate-window-kits/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R32-POLYCARBONATE-WINDOW-KIT/p-288-420-426-797-622/