SAU Community

The Answer To Melbournes Water Problems?

~R33AzzA~

you know youtube is actually paying people that get mass views of their videos (i'd assume its like a divend of what they get through advertising). video man is also pretty pushy at the end of the video to show as many people as possible.

good idea or not, old mate's trying to make a quid himsef out of this

I think I saw he had ~30,000 views...Takes a shitload more than that to make money, and even then it'll pretty much be chump change. Multiple videos, each with views in the millions and you might be getting something worth talking about

I think I saw he had ~30,000 views...Takes a shitload more than that to make money, and even then it'll pretty much be chump change. Multiple videos, each with views in the millions and you might be getting something worth talking about

+1 for example check out a guy called RayWilliamJohnson, he's just some guy that releases 5 minute videos twice a WEEK just talking about "popular video's" which emerged. He gets 500,000 views within the first day of release and around 2 MILLION per video, no way a video with barely 30,000 views since FEB would be making lots of dividends this way. I admit this guy may have ulterior motives or something is fishy about what he's saying but he's laying it out in clear facts and even telling you where to look to research on your own, he's playing the "nothing to hide" card and it works for me, I don't see why were not doing exactly what he described and how it could/would impede anything what-so-ever

You can even put hydropower turbines in the pipes to generate electricity, since gravity does all the work, a slightly slower flowrate doesn't make a difference...

I dont see what not.

+1 for example check out a guy called RayWilliamJohnson, he's just some guy that releases 5 minute videos twice a WEEK just talking about "popular video's" which emerged. He gets 500,000 views within the first day of release and around 2 MILLION per video, no way a video with barely 30,000 views since FEB would be making lots of dividends this way. I admit this guy may have ulterior motives or something is fishy about what he's saying but he's laying it out in clear facts and even telling you where to look to research on your own, he's playing the "nothing to hide" card and it works for me, I don't see why were not doing exactly what he described and how it could/would impede anything what-so-ever

obviously he hasnt got the numbers he wants, but he was too pushy at the end of the video to get it out there, his exact words were something like 'what if every victorian saw this video'. thats what, 4 million views? double that coz its really two videos. then you'd naturally expect a large portion of those would like to see his opinions on other things, have a quick scan of his other videos.... i dont know how much youtube pays but surely millions upon millions (what hes aiming for) would be worth something half significant?

Singapore buys water from malaysia, they threaten and threaten to cut off the supply, yet the water still flows...

The idea is brilliant.

AFAIK, Singapore (being singapore) got their shit together and now supply their own water. They aren't pussy's and drink recycled water (like we all should) and built a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

Thought it was 360km, and didn't he say 2.3billion dollars..

Yeah, about 360 sorry, not 690.

I don't care what he said. AFAIK he's not a undersea pipe laying expert.

The government have investigated piping it from Tas but the issues are too great and the cost extreme. At the end of the day it would cost more than desal to build, probably about the same to actually purchase, take much longer to implement, perpetuate our reliance on rainfall, rob the environment in Tas of water and put ourselves at the mercy of Tasmaina when it came to water.

AFAIK, Singapore (being singapore) got their shit together and now supply their own water. They aren't pussy's and drink recycled water (like we all should) and built a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

Lol, not directly, the NEWater after being treated is plumbed back into the reservoirs, so it doesn't go right into the watersupply. A desal plant is in the works as well. But the contract with malaysia is still there for another 50 years or so.

Even after treating sewage and desal, there's still a need to import water from malaysia because its still not quite enough. But at least back home, we got to play with waterguns and water balloons, there's no restriction. I used to water my banana plants straight from the tap, the only restriction being cost.

Of course there was that whole stint with government people drinking bottled NEWater infront of the media, the public didn't take to kindly to having to have to drink recycled water either, but being the nanny state singapore was and still is, the citizenry didn't really have much of a choice. I used to have many boxes of those pre-bottle NEWater bottles, and they didn't really taste different from regular tap water. Kudos to the water treatment guys for that.

Personally i have no problems with drinking recycled water, but, it is energy intensive as well. Reverse osmosis membranes aren't cheap to procure and cheap to maintain, and pretty energy hungry as well. Thats just one part of the process used to ensure that poo and pee doesn't get into the end product. Then there's heat sterilisation and a whole lot of other processes that make this water potable.

That trans tasman pipeline thingy does seem like a cheaper alternative. But seriously, if there are so many viable alternatives, why not just adopt all? Use the pipeline, use desal, use rain/reservoir water and use recycled water too.

Lol, not directly, the NEWater after being treated is plumbed back into the reservoirs, so it doesn't go right into the watersupply. A desal plant is in the works as well. But the contract with malaysia is still there for another 50 years or so.

Even after treating sewage and desal, there's still a need to import water from malaysia because its still not quite enough. But at least back home, we got to play with waterguns and water balloons, there's no restriction. I used to water my banana plants straight from the tap, the only restriction being cost.

Of course there was that whole stint with government people drinking bottled NEWater infront of the media, the public didn't take to kindly to having to have to drink recycled water either, but being the nanny state singapore was and still is, the citizenry didn't really have much of a choice. I used to have many boxes of those pre-bottle NEWater bottles, and they didn't really taste different from regular tap water. Kudos to the water treatment guys for that.

Personally i have no problems with drinking recycled water, but, it is energy intensive as well. Reverse osmosis membranes aren't cheap to procure and cheap to maintain, and pretty energy hungry as well. Thats just one part of the process used to ensure that poo and pee doesn't get into the end product. Then there's heat sterilisation and a whole lot of other processes that make this water potable.

That trans tasman pipeline thingy does seem like a cheaper alternative. But seriously, if there are so many viable alternatives, why not just adopt all? Use the pipeline, use desal, use rain/reservoir water and use recycled water too.

The first sensible thing that has been said yet.

The video in the OP has been put together by a bunch of young libs tied to the anti-NS pipeline mob. It's been put out there as nothing but a way to generate some bad press for the government. Unfortunately way too many people have taken their bait.

As I said earlier, there is no such thing as a silver bullet. Our water security will be ensured by a whole host of measures, such as Desal, local water harvesting, better catchment management, improved efficiency, water recycling and so on, not just some fanciful pipeline to Tasmania.

Cowboy1600...can i ask what you do for crust?

I sell Solar Power arrays to schools and residential.

I also hold a Bach of Social Science majoring in Public Policy and Research.

Cool, I was just curious as i kind of disagree with the numbers you were saying re costs for pipeline. Been years since i have done oil/gas work, but woudl have thought it would be cheaper then desal by a long way! Perhaps i am wrong

Cool, I was just curious as i kind of disagree with the numbers you were saying re costs for pipeline. Been years since i have done oil/gas work, but woudl have thought it would be cheaper then desal by a long way! Perhaps i am wrong

I don't know the specific costs, but I imagine laying a 360km long water pipe in deep water would be a damn sight more expensive than running one 70kms over land. And seeing as the 70k above over land one cost $700mil, I think even $2,3b for the Bass Straight link would be a gross underestimate.

I would presume that oil and gas are very different to water. You can't extrude 2.5m diameter pipe. I imagine it would have to be laid then welded in-situ as opposed to rolled out.