SAU Community

Poliscan ( The Replacement For Multinovas )

ssshonky

Guys and gals

Just thought I would start a new thread to discuss the new Poliscan multi lane speed cameras.

I just had a read of the PDF document that states its features etc, and WOW , pretty amazing

(amazing in a " you're totally screwed " kind of amazing )

As I am sure you are all aware its now run off Laser ( LIDAR?) so if your existing Radar Detector picks up Laser really well then you at least have SOME warning. I went thru one that was being tested over the weekend, the radar detector went nuts but didnt give me much warning at all.

Discuss??

Poliscan___speed_camera_poliscan_speed_03.pdf

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Laser Jammers supposedly do work , but apparently only certain models work.

I dont claim to be an expert on these things, but definately want to learn more.

Would radar jammers still work? (Hypothetically)

Looking at the specs the Operatiional Range is 15-75m , so it will be interesting to see what range people are detecting it at ( on Radar Detectors ) , if you are getting 200m warning then at least it gives you a bit of time to slow down,

It comes across as media and Police are overstating some of its abilities in a big way.

I think the only areas in fines enforcement it will improve is lack of warning for those of us using existing radar detectors...

AFAIK jamming frequencies when you don't have a license to transmit on them is a very serious offense.

Can also fall under perverting the course of justice and it's just generally a bad idea, Police aren't stupid they will realise your 'laser parking sensors' aren't for that purpose. Eg If a Poliscan camera takes your speeding reading and instead of 76 km/h it says "X7uyP1 km/h" questions are going to be raised and probably your vehicle will be examined with or without your consent. This will be made easier by the fact Police have a clear photo of your license plate and your residential address.

Be interesting to understand some more of the tech stuff behind it.

If you have an iphone use the trapster.com mobile application with push notifications to warn others, and receive warnings on mobile speed traps.

Otherwise take it easy until some more passive counteraction measures have been tried & tested! Not that I speed anywhere, just get to the limit quickly :)

Cheers

-dave

ahaha.. sponsored by Coopers Pale ale! My kinda MAN!!! But I far prefer the sparkling ale ;)

I am more interested in the technical / real world side of things. Like how much notice will you get, will you get ANY notice if you have passed it

Oh well just need to wait till a few more people go thru it when its " live "

It comes across as media and Police are overstating some of its abilities in a big way.

I think the only areas in fines enforcement it will improve is lack of warning for those of us using existing radar detectors...

AFAIK jamming frequencies when you don't have a license to transmit on them is a very serious offense.

Can also fall under perverting the course of justice and it's just generally a bad idea, Police aren't stupid they will realise your 'laser parking sensors' aren't for that purpose. Eg If a Poliscan camera takes your speeding reading and instead of 76 km/h it says "X7uyP1 km/h" questions are going to be raised and probably your vehicle will be examined with or without your consent. This will be made easier by the fact Police have a clear photo of your license plate and your residential address.

Be interesting to understand some more of the tech stuff behind it.

If you have an iphone use the trapster.com mobile application with push notifications to warn others, and receive warnings on mobile speed traps.

Otherwise take it easy until some more passive counteraction measures have been tried & tested! Not that I speed anywhere, just get to the limit quickly :)

Cheers

-dave

Edited by ssshonky

There was one being tested on Monday just between the GEH exit and on ramps heading south on Tonkin.

Caught a glimpse of a car behind a tree as I came off the bridge then my detector starting going spastic on LASER LASER and normally I expect to see a cop pointing something at me.. but it was one of these new setups.

Come to think of it, it was actually going off Ka AND Laser.. and there appeared to be two units on the side of the road (a normal multinova looking setup and some wierd new setup), I assume they were testing for accuracy between the setups.

I had a good 100m notice but the problem with Laser (or at least with the handheld units), is that as soon they paint you they pretty much have a reading, as opposed to multi's where you have a few seconds grace.

thanks man thats JUST the kind of info I am chasing.

If you got 100m warning for laser then I guess if the camera is operating at its furthest range then you will only get 25 m warning, not that much at all hey?

From what I can gather this is going to differ from the handheld Laser guns as the Poliscan will probably wait for you to get closer then take the photo? With a cop he can ping you a good distance away then just pull you over when he sees you get closer.

Does anyone know if they are going to decomission the Multinovas and replace them with the Poliscan units or are they going to ship the Multinovas off to country towns?

If they decomission the Multinovas then its going to change the focus of what people will be looking for on Radar detectors, before it was good KA band detection, now Laser might be more what you want a detector to be good at.

There was one being tested on Monday just between the GEH exit and on ramps heading south on Tonkin.

Caught a glimpse of a car behind a tree as I came off the bridge then my detector starting going spastic on LASER LASER and normally I expect to see a cop pointing something at me.. but it was one of these new setups.

Come to think of it, it was actually going off Ka AND Laser.. and there appeared to be two units on the side of the road (a normal multinova looking setup and some wierd new setup), I assume they were testing for accuracy between the setups.

I had a good 100m notice but the problem with Laser (or at least with the handheld units), is that as soon they paint you they pretty much have a reading, as opposed to multi's where you have a few seconds grace.

thanks man thats JUST the kind of info I am chasing.

If you got 100m warning for laser then I guess if the camera is operating at its furthest range then you will only get 25 m warning, not that much at all hey?

From what I can gather this is going to differ from the handheld Laser guns as the Poliscan will probably wait for you to get closer then take the photo? With a cop he can ping you a good distance away then just pull you over when he sees you get closer.

Does anyone know if they are going to decomission the Multinovas and replace them with the Poliscan units or are they going to ship the Multinovas off to country towns?

If they decomission the Multinovas then its going to change the focus of what people will be looking for on Radar detectors, before it was good KA band detection, now Laser might be more what you want a detector to be good at.

I could probably get more warning but I had just crested the rise over the bridge, if I come across another one with a stretch of flat road preceding it, I'll report back how much warning I get :D

Nope! Painted green. They are fairly large but I think they will be targeting more the multi lane roads , so you have to think of other cars in the inside lane blocking your vision.

arent these in some stupidly big white box??? kinda easy to see i heard

Most if not all scramblers/jammers are a complete waste of time in australia, unless your in WA where detectors are legal. The highway patrol cars all have spectre 3 RDD equipment now, and if your jammer is operating you will make their RDD go balistic.

You might as well be driving down the road waving flares and sparklers out the windows.

Our highway patrol cars here run K-band radar equipment, on a nice road I'll get nearly 1km warning!

No need for a radar jammer if you have a good detector.

Good laser jammers only transmit when they pick up the incoming beam and even then only transmit for a very short time, basically to allow you to grab some anchors before their unit tries for another reading.

Hence the reason I put it in the Western Australia section :)

Most if not all scramblers/jammers are a complete waste of time in australia, unless your in WA where detectors are legal. The highway patrol cars all have spectre 3 RDD equipment now, and if your jammer is operating you will make their RDD go balistic.

You might as well be driving down the road waving flares and sparklers out the windows.

Hey Bubba what detector are you using?

Oh and in regards to the Jamers , basically the device will send out the Jamming signal then physically turn itself off for a certain period of time. So if the cop goes for a second reading they *should * get your propper speed.

Our highway patrol cars here run K-band radar equipment, on a nice road I'll get nearly 1km warning!

No need for a radar jammer if you have a good detector.

Good laser jammers only transmit when they pick up the incoming beam and even then only transmit for a very short time, basically to allow you to grab some anchors before their unit tries for another reading.