SAU Community

What To Buy After R34 Gtr ?

I often discuss this with a couple of mates of what car we would choose for a "realistic" price that has a bit from every category and Japanese imports aside, for a true two door sports car around $100,000 that has good power, fantastic handling, great potential, luxury and class, the 335i to me would be my first choice.

BMW%20E92%20Black%20Line%20(21).JPG

img_2622edit.jpg

IMG_3411.jpg

i agree with you 100%. they have the whole package.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, its a good point.

Its a massive step up (in price) from where you are now.

Personally I bought another GTR!

Depends on what you need from a practical perspective though...

I.e. does it need to be a practical daily driver / do you want to get raped by depreciation on a 335i / etc

Agree with above replies, get a set of wheels on it, or at least put an exhaust on it :blink:

Exige Supercharged for under 100k. Nothing comes close.

For a track car I agree. But I don't think that is what the OP is asking about. For a street car using it for going out to dinner or going on trips or whatever, I would feel like a dick driving one. They really do look like a toy car.

Edited by PM-R33

Dad has a 335i with Active Autowerke Active Processor, in stock form it is just ridiculously responsive. If no one told you it was twin turbo, you wouldn't pick it. No lag what-so-ever.

Back to back with my R34, you can definitely tell it doesn't quite have the mid/top-end, but for a street car it's perhaps what you want anyway.

Chip certainly made it move lively. Brakes are fantastic, steering great. Ride is quite firm. Would like to see what they're like with non-run flats. And a great looking car to top it off.

I'd recommend a 335i if the budget stretches, but i'd probably recommend a 135i more :P - but beware, BMW build quality is rather shite-house these days (a lot of manu's have gone down hill recently, toyota/bmw) so be pretty for lots of gremlins, of the electronic kind and others.

if the OP is bored with a 34 GTR, he's sure as shit going to get bored of a 335. I've been in some, tbh i found them a bit ho-hum. Fast and comfortable yes, but no exhaust bark or turbo spool... didn't do much for me

Problem is, the performance of a 34 GTR is above a 335/M3/Vette (puke!). Thats why I say a 996 Porsche turbo really is the only "step up" as such, all the other suggestions are a step sideways at best.

I'd suggest keeping the 34 and spending a little, showing some love. You're not going to tear up great gobs of money by keeping it, as opposed to the other cars mentioned.

Think of it this way, if you could buy a brand new 34 GTR or a 335i right now, what would you buy? So yeah, I'd "restore" the 34, not meaning make it a 10 second beast, just restore, do all the little bits and pieces you know it needs to make it "perfect". :P

Since the 34 is supposed to be the flagship model of that era you will probably have to look at euro cars/exotics to get some sort of a trade up. You could always do a sidestep to other import manufacturers top models. NSX, Supra, Evo etc. If it were me I'd be looking at an E46 M3 or whatever 911 turbo I could get my hands on lol. Even then its not really a trade up performance wise.

Spend some money on the GTR imo if yours is stock then some well thought out mods should see 300kw without having to open the engine or change turbos and will definitely bring back some excitement.

There is a RUF engined 930 turbo for sale. Pretty hard to get bored with that and it is a collectors item.

2nd hand Audi RS6 can be had for well under 100k, twin turbo V8, 4wd, seats 4 in comfort and will toast most other things going around, especially with intake, exhaust and ecu tune.

The Merc TT V12 coupes are coming down to that sort of money but its still a Merc.

I still fail to see the attraction and fascination people have with buying brand new vehicles. Fark me let some other fool pay the servicing cost and watch the value drop. The cars above make good sense as the previous owners would more than likely have babied them. Certainly would have a good service history.

I've thought about this countless times. I don't know what else would excite me this side of 100k.

The 34 will be staying until i can afford a 35!

There is a RUF engined 930 turbo for sale. Pretty hard to get bored with that and it is a collectors item.

2nd hand Audi RS6 can be had for well under 100k, twin turbo V8, 4wd, seats 4 in comfort and will toast most other things going around, especially with intake, exhaust and ecu tune.

The Merc TT V12 coupes are coming down to that sort of money but its still a Merc.

I still fail to see the attraction and fascination people have with buying brand new vehicles. Fark me let some other fool pay the servicing cost and watch the value drop. The cars above make good sense as the previous owners would more than likely have babied them. Certainly would have a good service history.

Agree on the new car thing. Once you up above 50k or 60k for a second hand car often they have well under 100k kms and have been serviced regularly and babied. And most of them have depreciated considerably compared to what they were new.

Problem is, the performance of a 34 GTR is above a 335/M3/Vette (puke!). Thats why I say a 996 Porsche turbo really is the only "step up" as such, all the other suggestions are a step sideways at best.

I'd suggest keeping the 34 and spending a little, showing some love. You're not going to tear up great gobs of money by keeping it, as opposed to the other cars mentioned.

Think of it this way, if you could buy a brand new 34 GTR or a 335i right now, what would you buy? So yeah, I'd "restore" the 34, not meaning make it a 10 second beast, just restore, do all the little bits and pieces you know it needs to make it "perfect". :)

Would have said the same.

:3some:

Think of it this way, if you could buy a brand new 34 GTR or a 335i right now, what would you buy? So yeah, I'd "restore" the 34, not meaning make it a 10 second beast, just restore, do all the little bits and pieces you know it needs to make it "perfect". :)

It really depends if its going to be a street car or a track car. As a street car I see a 335i as a step up. Don't get me wrong, I love R34 GTR's and might buy one one day once I step into my Engineering career, but comparing them relitively stock for stock I think the 335i has the whole package.

Performance wise a 335i coupe has been tested many times by independent tests to do low 13's down the quarter and 0-100 in just under 5 seconds with the 6 speed steptronic transmission. That is bloody quick for a stock RWD car in any one's langauge. However everyone knows the 335i is relitevely "detuned" and with just an exhaust upgrade and ECU reflash people are getting into mid 12's and low 5 0-100. From what I have seen people have pushed the stock turbos to their limit and are getting into high 11's and low 4 0-100.

So they definetely aren't no slouch and much like the R34 GTR, they just need some key breathing mods and tune to really get their potential out.

It really does come down to personal tastes and what you are using the car far. While a Jap car always has good performance potential, it is very hard to make one classy and luxurious. On the other hand Euro cars definetely have this covered and most have a gorgeous leather and modern interior but may lack in the performance aspect and how easy they can be modified. Hence this is my reasoning of the BMW 335i, good balance between the two :D

Edited by PM-R33

technically speaking, the OP was asking what to buy next and didn't actually refer to 'upgrade' - why i was mentioning things like DSG GTi's etc.

i would still pick a 135i over the 335i. Lighter yet get just as big as brakes as the bigger brother :thumbsup:

Interesting to see what time dad's car would pull with the chip in it..... isn't there some iphone app for this? maybe i can come back with some hard numbers :)

I just find the 135i a bit funny looking. It definetely isn't as aggressive as the 335i. I think it is the curvy look to the sideskirts and bottom of the door that bothers me. I saw the 135i before the 335i and really liked it, even had a sit in one at the BMW dealership. But after seeing the 335i next to a 135i, I dunno, just can't go back to liking it that much.

Edited by PM-R33

Great ideas in there guys.

It is currently my Daily driver.

My car has minimal modifications.

Might just need to goto track or a cruise day to inspire me.

Anyway, plenty of worthy contenders out there. I do like the idea of a 335 in WHITE......

Cheers everyone.

Edited by wobaby